Good loops in the Fraser valley?

May 22, 2019, 7:08 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

I've only ridden in the Fraser Valley a few times but as soon as I rode there my first thought was how underrated the area was for mountain biking... tons of great riding but for whatever reason the North Shore & S2S get all the attention and people rarely talk about the Fraser Valley. 

Which trails/routes would you recommend @ Red? Was hoping to check out either Red or Bear in the near future.

A good lap is Bypass trail to the FSR , climb it to Valley View, you can lap around the hill via FSR. Or climb rEDneck to Crazy 8,s /Big Red trail heads. Crazy 8,s is techy , there,s a off shot called Hells Bells. It,s a true black in spots. It ties into the bottom of Big Red . Ride out on BigRed and take the FSR up to Red Rider . This ties into Momentum , and that trail will bring you back to the Bypass trail , or you can tie into TWSS and Moth and ride Dewdney to the pond. I am available Monday thru Thursday to give some tours if you want . All the Valley hills on the Northside are local to me. Vedder and Tamihi are fun as well. Truthfully I have only ridden the shore once in the last 15yrs. Valley has lots going on.

May 22, 2019, 7:19 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Thanks again for the trail advice.

So far we have done Bear/Red and Woodlot - loved it all!!!!

Red was our favorite - crazy 8, red rider, momentum etc was soooo great a mix of old school hand cut singletrack flow and gnar.

Bear was good. Bigguns was awesome! The Bear DH would have been better on a full sus bike. Big Trouble in Little chain ring was a great climb.

All I have to say about the woodlot is that the blues were great blacks. Krazy Karpenter was one of a kind. Reminded me of what the shore used to be or riding in Nelson.

Check out Mastodon next time you try Red the Defibrillator has a high pucker factor . I have yet to clear it. Bear has a bunch of lesser known trails as well , very old school . Let the logging die down and get back out there and explore Mervs , Little death . Park at Saunders for better access , Cranks is a fun rip down , you can road ride back to Saunders.

May 22, 2019, 7:34 p.m.

Mike, don’t leave out Arduum.

May 22, 2019, 7:48 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Mike, don’t leave out Arduum.

For sure , buts that,s pretty much a RED , one of the toughest DH courses around.

May 29, 2019, 10:49 p.m.

Some great suggestions in this thread.  I'm just starting to stray from my usual Shore rides to the valley.  Why did I wait so long?

Question about Vedder.  Is there a higher shuttle parking lot?  Or can you leave a car on the side of the road with no problems?

Thanks!

"Constant rage: could people f*cking up all the time be to blame?" - The Onion

June 3, 2019, 7 a.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

I've only ridden in the Fraser Valley a few times but as soon as I rode there my first thought was how underrated the area was for mountain biking... tons of great riding but for whatever reason the North Shore & S2S get all the attention and people rarely talk about the Fraser Valley. 

Which trails/routes would you recommend @ Red? Was hoping to check out either Red or Bear in the near future.

A good lap is Bypass trail to the FSR , climb it to Valley View, you can lap around the hill via FSR. Or climb rEDneck to Crazy 8,s /Big Red trail heads. Crazy 8,s is techy , there,s a off shot called Hells Bells. It,s a true black in spots. It ties into the bottom of Big Red . Ride out on BigRed and take the FSR up to Red Rider . This ties into Momentum , and that trail will bring you back to the Bypass trail , or you can tie into TWSS and Moth and ride Dewdney to the pond. I am available Monday thru Thursday to give some tours if you want . All the Valley hills on the Northside are local to me. Vedder and Tamihi are fun as well. Truthfully I have only ridden the shore once in the last 15yrs. Valley has lots going on.

Really kind of you to offer to be our trail guide! We figured out that exact loop by chance routing ourselves with trailforks. Seemed like it made the most sense. It is now one of our favorite in Vancouver area. Good pedal without being punishing. Some gnar, some flow. Good old school single track

June 3, 2019, 2:03 p.m.

Posted by: Cabana76

Some great suggestions in this thread.  I'm just starting to stray from my usual Shore rides to the valley.  Why did I wait so long?

Question about Vedder.  Is there a higher shuttle parking lot?  Or can you leave a car on the side of the road with no problems?

Thanks!

I saw a few vehicles parked on the side of the road by 2Cents when I was there on Saturday. The main road is pretty good up to that point, recently graded. The spur up to REFR and Black Forest HAM has some waterbars so you'd want a truck (if it's passable at all).

June 3, 2019, 7:20 p.m.

Thanks!  I pedaled up to ham and definitely my car would not make that.  Up to 2 cents would be good.

Cheers

June 6, 2019, 9:50 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: DemonMike

Really kind of you to offer to be our trail guide! We figured out that exact loop by chance routing ourselves with trailforks. Seemed like it made the most sense. It is now one of our favorite in Vancouver area. Good pedal without being punishing. Some gnar, some flow. Good old school single track

There is some fresh work stuff on some old trails that will be public in the next few weeks. So some more options for the FV riding scene.

Last edited by: DemonMike on June 7, 2019, 8:03 p.m., edited 1 time in total.