Good loops in the Fraser valley?

April 28, 2019, 5:14 p.m.

I know it's not technically the shore, but my wife and I are looking to try out some of the hills out the valley. She likes to pedal and is comfortable doing things like dale's and forever after. Anyone know which trailfork loops are worth doing out the valley way?

We were looking at red/bear, vedder, Burke, woodlot etc. If you know a great loop I should take her on, please share!!!!

April 29, 2019, 9 a.m.

On Sumas, the big favourite is Squid Line, which is pretty swoopy and green-blue difficulty the whole way. 

Another good line is Knob Gobbler > Holiday Sauce > Extra Sauce > Pre-Peel > Emma Peel. Knob Gobbler is black but the Sauces and Peels are swoopy and fun with a couple of short climbs - this route is definitely much longer. I prefer this route to Squid Line.

The road is easy to pedal up.

April 29, 2019, 9:15 a.m.

Posted by: craw

On Sumas, the big favourite is Squid Line, which is pretty swoopy and green-blue difficulty the whole way. 

Another good line is Knob Gobbler > Holiday Sauce > Extra Sauce > Pre-Peel > Emma Peel. Knob Gobbler is black but the Sauces and Peels are swoopy and fun with a couple of short climbs - this route is definitely much longer. I prefer this route to Squid Line.

The road is easy to pedal up.

These trails are great fun

April 29, 2019, 9:32 a.m.

Just a note about Squid Line - it's a great trail but feels (to me) more like an XC flow trail, to make it really fun you need to pedal and pump a lot to maintain speed. Nothing wrong with that but if you don't expect to pedal it may be a disappointment.

Bear mountain has some really good trails too.

April 29, 2019, 12:43 p.m.

Good suggestions for Sumas. I really enjoy Squid Line but you definitely have to pedal and pump to get the most out of it, it is very well built though and feels long. Knob Gobbler is an easier black, if your wife can ride Dales she will be fine. At Vedder check out the climb trails into 2Cents, Terd Ferg, Ditch Chicken, Femur and Dilemma... also Black Forest Ham is a must ride out there, bit of a grind to climb up but super fun technical trail, legit single black for sure with some steeps.

April 29, 2019, 3:29 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestions. Haven't headed out the valley way for many years. Was going to hit some new (to us) trails this weekend. Looking forward to it.

April 29, 2019, 5:22 p.m.

A good primer at the Woodlot: pedal up the road to Krazy Karpenter to experience some old school then rip down Toadstool, lower Toadstool, Bloggy, Shotgun. 

Then continue east on Dewdney Trunk Rd and over the dam.

Then go to Bear and climb Big Trouble Little Chainring (the best climbing trail I've ever ridden) then keep going to Bigguns which will require some climbing to get back to descend Super Bear. Or skip Bigguns.

Then drive back over the dam to Hottie's Food Emporium for some great pasta. Amazing secret spot - definitely worth a stop.

April 29, 2019, 9:50 p.m.

Heard Red Mountain is good as well.

April 30, 2019, 4:15 a.m.

I’ve said this many times before, there is no good riding in the valley. Best to just stick to the shore.

April 30, 2019, 8:01 a.m.

Ledgeview is another one that shouldn’t be overlooked. Check out Noodley Appendage, Mixed Bag, Paper Route, Charlie’s Canned Chicken, Flintstones to Ambidextrous and others.

April 30, 2019, 9:46 p.m.

Posted by: D_C_

Ledgeview is another one that shouldn’t be overlooked. Check out Noodley Appendage, Mixed Bag, Paper Route, Charlie’s Canned Chicken, Flintstones to Ambidextrous and others.

I take it that this is not a route but a mixed bag of awesome trails? Any suggestions on good climbing trails? routes that pay dividends?

Thanks for the ideas.

May 7, 2019, 9:19 a.m.

Posted by: craw

A good primer at the Woodlot: pedal up the road to Krazy Karpenter to experience some old school then rip down Toadstool, lower Toadstool, Bloggy, Shotgun. 

Then continue east on Dewdney Trunk Rd and over the dam.

Then go to Bear and climb Big Trouble Little Chainring (the best climbing trail I've ever ridden) then keep going to Bigguns which will require some climbing to get back to descend Super Bear. Or skip Bigguns.

Then drive back over the dam to Hottie's Food Emporium for some great pasta. Amazing secret spot - definitely worth a stop.

Drooling looking at that menu right now... haven't ridden the Woodlot, Bear or Red before, need to fix that at some point this year.

May 11, 2019, 11:19 p.m.

Thanks again for the trail advice.

So far we have done Bear/Red and Woodlot - loved it all!!!!

Red was our favorite - crazy 8, red rider, momentum etc was soooo great a mix of old school hand cut singletrack flow and gnar.

Bear was good. Bigguns was awesome! The Bear DH would have been better on a full sus bike. Big Trouble in Little chain ring was a great climb.

All I have to say about the woodlot is that the blues were great blacks. Krazy Karpenter was one of a kind. Reminded me of what the shore used to be or riding in Nelson.

May 19, 2019, 9:32 p.m.

Had a week off work. Rather than paying for a hotel and restaurants on a bike vacation, we stayed in Vancouver and did a Fraser Valley Bike Holiday!

How amazing that there is so much new to ride without even leaving home!  Thanks for all the suggestions, the only one we didn't do yet was Vedder.

Red was our favourite! Best combo of tech, loan and fun.

Bigguns on Bear was awesome.

The woodlot was great. Krafty Karpenter was something else. I haven't found blues that ride like blacks since I left Nelson. That was some serious gnar.

Sumas has to have the best bang for your buck descent. Definitely heading back there.

Flintstones on Ledgeview is probably our favorite trail this week. Highly recommended if you haven't done it before.

Thanks again for sharing your local haunts. Gonna have to give some trail karma on trailforks I think.

May 22, 2019, 2:54 p.m.

I've only ridden in the Fraser Valley a few times but as soon as I rode there my first thought was how underrated the area was for mountain biking... tons of great riding but for whatever reason the North Shore & S2S get all the attention and people rarely talk about the Fraser Valley. 

Which trails/routes would you recommend @ Red? Was hoping to check out either Red or Bear in the near future.