Going for a ride?

April 12, 2020, 8:31 p.m.

I've been putting in the road miles for over 28 years now, only been hit once.  I've hit a couple cars with my bike though, but that's 'cause I was riding like an asshole.  Now that I'm a grown ass man I choose my routes a bit more carefully, I don't really enjoy "playing" in traffic the way I used to.

Twisty descents are pretty rad on the road bike, you can go scary FAST, particularly with a stable handling bike and big fast tires and on a lot of roads you can outrun the cars.  I run 46cm Nitto Noodles, 28mm light tires and carbon wheels and steep, twisty descents on smooth or rough pavement are freaking awesome.  I bet Whistler has some awesome descents.

April 12, 2020, 9:38 p.m.

Descend MT Washington. I started using my brakes when I hit 90km/h. More scary than. Most mtb descents.

April 12, 2020, 9:40 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Descend MT Washington. I started using my brakes when I hit 90km/h. More scary than. Most mtb descents.

Still haven't done that one yet I doubt I've broken 90 on the road bike since I was a teenager and not sure I want to. The long straits near the end would be gnarly!

Last edited by: tashi on April 12, 2020, 10:21 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 13, 2020, 12:19 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Posted by: RAHrider

Still haven't done that one yet I doubt I've broken 90 on the road bike since I was a teenager and not sure I want to. The long straits near the end would be gnarly!

The one in New Hampshire?

April 13, 2020, 12:22 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

I've been putting in the road miles for over 28 years now, only been hit once.  I've hit a couple cars with my bike though, but that's 'cause I was riding like an asshole.  Now that I'm a grown ass man I choose my routes a bit more carefully, I don't really enjoy "playing" in traffic the way I used to.

Twisty descents are pretty rad on the road bike, you can go scary FAST, particularly with a stable handling bike and big fast tires and on a lot of roads you can outrun the cars.  I run 46cm Nitto Noodles, 28mm light tires and carbon wheels and steep, twisty descents on smooth or rough pavement are freaking awesome.  I bet Whistler has some awesome descents.

So you are speaking to my soul.  All my roadie friends treat the descent like a chair lift.  It's all about the climb to them.

Are you the outlier or is my circle of roadie friends?

April 13, 2020, 9:44 a.m.

90km wow... Anything over 75km gets sketchy on a road bike. Cypress bowl climb night with my club had some riders going full throttle on the descent. I always considered myself a good bike handler but when I got up to that kind of speed I felt like I had no control to what could happen. I guess I'm not Mario Andretti.... " if everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough"

😄

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

April 13, 2020, 9:48 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

So you are speaking to my soul.  All my roadie friends treat the descent like a chair lift.  It's all about the climb to them.

Are you the outlier or is my circle of roadie friends?

I think most roadies are pretty cautious on the downhills but there are some daredevils out there. Road bikes were my first taste of speed and risk though so I’ve always loved it. 

I just love bikin. Uphill, downhill, touring, whatever. Just not triathlon.

April 13, 2020, 9:50 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

The one in New Hampshire?

I assumed the Vancouver Island one.

April 13, 2020, 12:38 p.m.

I get freaked out when I hit 60 kph, mostly because I start wondering if the 20+ year old glue connecting the frame tubes / lugs is going to fail on the next bump.

Upper British Properties is good for twisty streets with little traffic.

I am finding that road rides are the easiet way to get a workout and mental reset while keep a suitable distance away from everyone.

Last edited by: PaulB on April 13, 2020, 12:41 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
April 13, 2020, 12:53 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

They put a chicane on the long downhill in Stny Prk. \buddy was so pissed . lol... New rd bike. Ride ever day. Rd/mtn/rd/mtn.....

I am glad they did that. As fun as it is to rip around that corner at speed, there is a cross walk there that is hard to see, and definitely hard to stop for even at moderate biking speeds.

June 4, 2020, 1:12 p.m.

Great!

Seeing as that you're new to riding a mountain bike, just know that accidents happen to everyone at some point for seemingly random reasons.

Just know, that at some point in the near future our medical professionals will be tasked with playing god and deciding who gets a ventilator and who doesn't.  Their lives are going to be beyond stressful.

So when that random event hits you, please, do everyone a favour and just bleed out on the trail.

So, this never happened....  You pedaling yet, or sitting at the bottom of Fitz with your gear waiting for the park to open?  :-P

June 12, 2020, 12:08 p.m.

I got a road bike at the start of April and have been really enjoying it. Noticed a big improvement climbing on the MTB as well, especially my ability to push taller gears for longer and not immediately pussy out to spinning the granny cog. Haven't really lost weight due to absurd hazy IPA consumption, maybe 5lbs.

I find going over 60km/h scary AF though, looking down at 25mm slicks just does not inspire confidence in me haha. I also pick my routes/times to avoid traffic as much as possible, my work from home lunch ride is 2 loops of Stanley park from my house in Mt Pleasant which is just over an hour ride. I can also do UBC, SFU, Deep Cove and Iona Beach with minimal car traffic. Haven't done any longer rides yet because I'd rather mountain bike if I have 3-4 hours of time on the weekend.

June 14, 2020, 1:11 a.m.

Posted by: ken-leggatt

Great!

Seeing as that you're new to riding a mountain bike, just know that accidents happen to everyone at some point for seemingly random reasons.

Just know, that at some point in the near future our medical professionals will be tasked with playing god and deciding who gets a ventilator and who doesn't.  Their lives are going to be beyond stressful.

So when that random event hits you, please, do everyone a favour and just bleed out on the trail.

So, this never happened....  You pedaling yet, or sitting at the bottom of Fitz with your gear waiting for the park to open?  :-P

How amazing is it to live in a society where we all say, "OK, yeah that's fucked.  Let's not make this worse."

https://apnews.com/cd1106ed962c0de70332f4561046003f

The bike rack is out and it is being rebuilt... here's to hoping I've remembered how to ride a bike!

June 18, 2020, 4:11 p.m.

Posted by: ken-leggatt

Great!

How amazing is it to live in a society where we all say, "OK, yeah that's fucked.  Let's not make this worse."

https://apnews.com/cd1106ed962c0de70332f4561046003f

The bike rack is out and it is being rebuilt... here's to hoping I've remembered how to ride a bike!

I can't wait!!!