Going for a ride?

March 21, 2020, 10:21 p.m.

Great!

Seeing as that you're new to riding a mountain bike, just know that accidents happen to everyone at some point for seemingly random reasons.

Just know, that at some point in the near future our medical professionals will be tasked with playing god and deciding who gets a ventilator and who doesn't.  Their lives are going to be beyond stressful.

So when that random event hits you, please, do everyone a favour and just bleed out on the trail.

March 22, 2020, 7:16 a.m.

I’m sorry, but I’m still riding. Keeping it light though. Tech up, easy down. No way I’m going to give up one of the things that brings smiles and relief from covid overload. That said, I am going to dust off the clubs. Besides there’s just as much risk going to the grocery store right now.

March 22, 2020, 11:52 a.m.

I am still riding & playing golf, but keeping it light & going during off-peak times. I think there is a fine line. People should still remain active, but not gather.

March 22, 2020, 12:50 p.m.

And to add, the ability to ride UPHILL means that you don't have to cram into a parking lot. You can literally ride UPHILL from any location. It's like the bikes were designed to do this task.

March 22, 2020, 1:27 p.m.

Posted by: DanL

And to add, the ability to ride UPHILL means that you don't have to cram into a parking lot. You can literally ride UPHILL from any location. It's like the bikes were designed to do this task.

Yup, you don't actually need to park in the fromme or old buck lots. And for those of us who live on the shore, why not ride from home? I am still riding, but keeping it local and also doing road and gravel rides.

March 22, 2020, 2:10 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

Posted by: DanL

Yup, you don't actually need to park in the fromme or old buck lots. And for those of us who live on the shore, why not ride from home? I am still riding, but keeping it local and also doing road and gravel rides.

Yes keeping the ride mellow is key. Did a gravel ride this morning up the Seymour river. The suicide Branch at the spur bridge road is open again and all maintained. Has anyone ever rode it to the end? Does it eventually link up with the powerlines that run across Seymour? Gunna go check it out soon, didn't have time today to ride the whole thing. Can't tell how far it goes on Google Earth.

March 22, 2020, 2:34 p.m.

Spur 4 will take you north up to the dam, where you can cross the river over to the hatchery.  The suicide route south just ends after a short distance.

March 22, 2020, 3:32 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Besides there’s just as much risk going to the grocery store right now.

That's why we should only be making essential trips to get groceries. I was on the Shore this AM for a quick walk on Fishermans. Biking in groups, running in groups, nearly no one observing social distancing recommendations. Business as usual at Interriver park as well. It's no different in Vancouver. Have a look at the following entry from the latest updates. This isn't just local sentiment...

Vancouver Sun Updates

Last edited by: Henry-Chinaski on March 22, 2020, 3:57 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 22, 2020, 3:42 p.m.

I only saw family units and couples out today for the most part. Miles better than yesterday, that was a shit show. Lockdown is coming.

I also think this thing has been around all winter. We had a flu outbreak at work in early Jan where a bunch of people took a week or so off. Haven't seen that kind of outbreak in a few years. We are so closely tied to China here in Vancouver I find it hard to believe that we were immune when this outbreak went down before Xmas. Only hitting us now? Not saying I'm not staying away from people, I am.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on March 22, 2020, 3:50 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 22, 2020, 4:23 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

I only saw family units and couples out today for the most part. Miles better than yesterday, that was a shit show. Lockdown is coming.

I also think this thing has been around all winter. We had a flu outbreak at work in early Jan where a bunch of people took a week or so off. Haven't seen that kind of outbreak in a few years. We are so closely tied to China here in Vancouver I find it hard to believe that we were immune when this outbreak went down before Xmas. Only hitting us now? Not saying I'm not staying away from people, I am.

Yes people were definitely staying away from each other on Seymour this morning. It wasn't very busy, with the exception of the old buck parking lot and GSM. Everyone was leaving lots of space for each other on the climb. Big improvement over yesterday, when I saw a lot more people bunched up in big groups.

March 22, 2020, 11:24 p.m.

I’m sorry, but I’m still riding. Keeping it light though. Tech up, easy down. No way I’m going to give up one of the things that brings smiles and relief from covid overload. That said, I am going to dust off the clubs. Besides there’s just as much risk going to the grocery store right now.

You aren't sorry in the slightest.

I hope you don't make a health-care workers life harder.

March 23, 2020, 12:17 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Yeah, this is wrong. If COVID was here before Xmas, we would not be this far behind China. What you and your coworkers had was probably influenza. So if you thought that was bad, imagine 20 x more contageous and 2% of you would die. Unless you were in Italy, then it is more like 10%. This kind of rhetoric is damaging to the message that we need to act now. This comment suggests that the infection is being overblown and has been here for a while. This is wrong. We are nowhere near the peak.

If COVID was here in December, we would have been in Italy's shoes. 800 dead in one day! Military trucks taking dead infected bodies out of the city because they have nowhere to store them all.

I have personally admitted 3 patients to hospital this week that I was sure were going to be COVID - all looked pretty shitty with high fevers and respiratory symptoms. All had high ferritin and LDH with normal white blood cell count and low lymphocytes (supposed to be the calling card of COVID). They all had influenza. But we have found COVID in the community, it is going around and unless you isolate, you will perpetuate it. If you want to go riding, stay away from other riders and don't hang out in the parking lot.

Those of you that think that you will be fine, you are probably right. But the pregnant lady, or the guy on chemo or the old lady with COPD or heart failure that you infect won't be so lucky. Be smart. Follow the rules. I have a patient with zero immune system. If they get COVID, they will die. They have been living with no immune system for a year and I have treated them for multiple infections but COVID would probably ravage them and we would have nothing to treat with. Imagine being that person, holed up praying not to be infected and meanwhile your neighbours are acting like it doesn't matter what they do. Think of the people not so lucky as you and follow the damn rules. You will not be the one treating a ward full of COVID patients, that is my job. The least you can do is keep some distance from everyone else.

March 23, 2020, 4:49 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

You aren't sorry in the slightest.

I hope you don't make a health-care workers life harder.

You’re right, I’m not. Also had my fair share of accidents and trips to the ER, But I won’t be anywhere near the hospital or clinic either. Not everyone here participates in high risk riding as you do. I’m as scared as you Mat. Now I have to go run a job site where everyone comes to me for everything, my guys, tcp’s, subs that work for us. That really scares me because I know some that I deal with are not concerned at all. So again you’re right, and I won’t apologize for spending an hour or two toddling around in the woods by myself. Now I gotta go for my morning #2 and I’m wondering what I’m going to wipe my ars with.

And who is it that’s new to mountain biking anyway?

Last edited by: FLATCH on March 23, 2020, 5:10 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 23, 2020, 7:50 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I have personally admitted 3 patients to hospital this week that I was sure were going to be COVID - all looked pretty shitty with high fevers and respiratory symptoms. All had high ferritin and LDH with normal white blood cell count and low lymphocytes (supposed to be the calling card of COVID). They all had influenza. But we have found COVID in the community, it is going around and unless you isolate, you will perpetuate it. If you want to go riding, stay away from other riders and don't hang out in the parking lot.

Those of you that think that you will be fine, you are probably right. But the pregnant lady, or the guy on chemo or the old lady with COPD or heart failure that you infect won't be so lucky. Be smart. Follow the rules. I have a patient with zero immune system. If they get COVID, they will die. They have been living with no immune system for a year and I have treated them for multiple infections but COVID would probably ravage them and we would have nothing to treat with. Imagine being that person, holed up praying not to be infected and meanwhile your neighbours are acting like it doesn't matter what they do. Think of the people not so lucky as you and follow the damn rules. You will not be the one treating a ward full of COVID patients, that is my job. The least you can do is keep some distance from everyone else.

Thanks for the post.  I just don't think people understand the severity of the situation.  My mom and sister in law are in the line of fire down in the Seattle area.  The world has lost 40 medical staff to date.  Yesterday, 300 doctors in BC signed a letter pleading with people to stay home.  I'm sympathetic to the individual needs of soothing the mind in order to cope, but it's crucial to practice distancing now.

March 23, 2020, 1:02 p.m.

https://bedford.io/blog/ncov-cryptic-transmission/

An Enlightening read.