Going for a ride?

March 23, 2020, 4:18 p.m.

Yes thatโ€™s a fascinating article. If only all this science could have been properly mobilized and utilized prior to this outbreak. ย 

It also does give me some hope that we can beat this before it becomes the worst case scenario.

March 23, 2020, 7:10 p.m.

A message from Cooper Quinn, NSMBA President:

Hi all,

It's stressful out there. Believe me, I get it. And being out on the trails is a great way to try and relax; it can also be a path to the Emergency Room, hospital, or clinic if you take a tumble. Clearly, this message hasn't meant enough coming from me, so let's hear from a doctor at the local hospital.

โ€œWe continue to see patients come into our operating rooms at Lions Gate Hospital with fractures from mountain biking injuries. While mountain biking is an activity that can be socially isolating, the injuries from this activity are using up precious medical equipment and operating room time that is desperately needed to help treat as many cancer patients as we can in the days before we are overwhelmed by COVID19 patients...๐—˜๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜† ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ท๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐˜† ๐˜„๐—ฒ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป ๐—ฝ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐˜ ๐—ถ๐—ป ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ฐ๐—ผ๐—บ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ฑ๐—ฎ๐˜†๐˜€ ๐˜„๐—ถ๐—น๐—น ๐—ด๐—ถ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐˜‚๐˜€ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ผ๐—ฝ๐—ฝ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜๐˜‚๐—ป๐—ถ๐˜๐˜† ๐˜๐—ผ ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐˜€๐—ผ๐—บ๐—ฒ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ฒ ๐˜„๐—ต๐—ผ ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—น๐—น๐˜† ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐˜€ ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ฟ ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ณ๐—ฒ-๐˜€๐—ฎ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ [emphasis mine].โ€

If we want to keep trails open, we're all going to have to work together. And that means very low risk riding (I've been on my gravel bike for the past couple weeks), riding only with immediate housemates in small groups, and maintaining physical separation of at least 2 meters at all times. I promise the trails will be there on the other side of all this chaos. Let's make sure as many of us get there as we can, and the load on our healthcare system is minimal. We just can't risk recreational injuries right now.

Thank you, and take care. We're all on this ride together.

Cooper Quinn

President of the NSMBA

March 23, 2020, 9:04 p.m.

https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0GL02FnpOsWXyASWprrajVBqw

A message from my colleague down island. He is an excellent physician and a superb human. This advice is spot on.

March 23, 2020, 10:22 p.m.

Matthew Bond had a warning to people on Twitter. Stay home or weโ€™ll close the trails for you.

March 23, 2020, 10:56 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Youโ€™re right, Iโ€™m not. Also had my fair share of accidents and trips to the ER, But I wonโ€™t be anywhere near the hospital or clinic either. Not everyone here participates in high risk riding as you do.

For the record, I'm not risking anything right now.

March 24, 2020, 7:33 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Matthew Bond had a warning to people on Twitter. Stay home or weโ€™ll close the trails for you.

Thatโ€™s not exactly what he said -

https://twitter.com/mrmathewbond/status/1241577805369901056

โ€œTo all trail users.

If you do not practise physical distancing, the trails will close. This is not the time to go out with your friends. Tell everyone to follow orders tomorrow or we'll all be riding/running on the road on Monday.

That is all.โ€

Last edited by: D_C_ on March 24, 2020, 9:13 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 24, 2020, 9:36 a.m.

I was out on a trail run on Breamar yesterday aft. I didn't see anyone not doing the distance thing. If anything everyone was over doing it. Which is great.

There is a big rain cycle coming so that should kill off the crowds for a week pretty much.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on March 24, 2020, 9:39 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 26, 2020, 1:56 p.m.

Down here as an mtb tourist in New Zealand, we were given 48 hours notice in Rotorua to close all non-essential business and travel. Three Air-bnbโ€™s declined us accommodations, the car rental place closed with one day notice and our 400 km bikepacking ride back to the airport was in grave jeopardy due to convenience stores and restaurants closed within a day.ย 

We made to an airport hotel and are now hunkered down with 5 days of groceries and beer and tonnes of time in our room to pack up our bikes The flight home is Sunday, I think the last one to Vancouver. We havent left the room in three days, although theres a bike path out front next to an empty freeway.

NZ in the whole country has 283 cases, whereas BC alone has 659 and growing exponentially ย 

Please, listen to the message, but step it up. Isolate yourselves, stop riding, stop the spread.

April 12, 2020, 2:18 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

I was out on a trail run on Breamar yesterday aft. I didn't see anyone not doing the distance thing. If anything everyone was over doing it. Which is great.

There is a big rain cycle coming so that should kill off the crowds for a week pretty much.

Totally the opposite today. I was driving over Dempsey/Braemar this afternoon. Roads are packed with cars and a few riders seem to think it's OK to talk and ride side by side (one group with their dog off leash) in the middle of the road.ย  The lady in the car ahead of me honked to let them know they were blocking the way....so they start yelling insults at her. Thanks....we look are acting like disrespective a$$holes. I am embarrassed to be a part of this community.

April 12, 2020, 2:26 p.m.

I think most mountain bikers are courteous. Trouble is, it only takes a few to sour the public's opinion of us.

April 12, 2020, 3:06 p.m.

Posted by: mudrunner

Totally the opposite today. I was driving over Dempsey/Braemar this afternoon. Roads are packed with cars and a few riders seem to think it's OK to talk and ride side by side (one group with their dog off leash) in the middle of the road.ย  The lady in the car ahead of me honked to let them know they were blocking the way....so they start yelling insults at her. Thanks....we look are acting like disrespective a$$holes. I am embarrassed to be a part of this community.

That's so lame. Went thru yesterday on the road bike to have a look and seemed to be very few riders out. How embarrassing.

April 12, 2020, 6:55 p.m.

The lovely Yvonne Schalle says we have another week of sunshine, even flirting with 20 degrees midweek. I donโ€™t think things will change. You guys from the shore should stick to the shore. Bumped into two groups, yes groups, of guys and gals that were at Bear and red today who unabashedly admitted they were from the shore. Said they came out here to avoid the gong show. Mill pond is turning into a social distance free zone.Along with copious amounts of dog shit on the trails itโ€™s getting harder to park. I know, first world.

Last edited by: FLATCH on April 12, 2020, 6:56 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 12, 2020, 8:03 p.m.

They put a chicane on the long downhill in Stny Prk. \buddy was so pissed . lol... New rd bike. Ride ever day. Rd/mtn/rd/mtn.....

April 12, 2020, 8:05 p.m.

Perfect weather, not many cars on the roads, everyone on the MUP's - the road riding has never been so good!

April 12, 2020, 8:11 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Perfect weather, not many cars on the roads, everyone on the MUP's - the road riding has never been so good!

I always thought my road riding buddies were absolutely fucking crazy to ride on the road with cars... I dare say, if this turn out to be the new normal I might give it a go.