Getting your wife/fiancee/girlfriend/female friend to ride...

May 20, 2005, 10:51 a.m.

if they go "how come your bike has tha springy thingy on the back??"

just run away

:lol:

"Everybody loves something, even if its just tortillas"

May 20, 2005, 10:56 a.m.

Bottom line - make it fun. You know what works best for your GF and what will make it fun for her, whether it's baked goods, the time together, the time in the outdoors, exercise, the challenge, whatever.

In my experience, they'll want to do it if it's fun and you're supportive.

She said, why don't you stop your crying/
Go outside and ride your bike
- Sliver, Nirvana

"If stars were all that mattered, why would I go to the trouble of writing a review?" - Roger Ebert

May 20, 2005, 10:59 a.m.

One thing I've learnt is to ride in front…. then she doesn't get flustered and accuse me of riding too close. I mix it up thou and occasionly let her lead, but give her heaps of room.

Yes I agree with the Bitchy thing, you can't win, so just don't talk… I find the full face helmet I can't hear you trick works best. I hope shes doesn't read this….

May 20, 2005, 11:23 a.m.

One thing I've learnt is to ride in front…. then she doesn't get flustered and accuse me of riding too close. I mix it up thou and occasionly let her lead, but give her heaps of room.

Yes I agree with the Bitchy thing, you can't win, so just don't talk… I find the full face helmet I can't hear you trick works best. I hope shes doesn't read this….

Hahaha - my girlfriend - I was slowing down to make sure she was happy on her new bike… she kept telling me to quit slowing down! :)

Let them start out easy, help make it fun and in time they'll enjoy going bigger and faster without pressure

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

May 20, 2005, 11:27 a.m.

Well my girlfriend saw that Mountain biking helped me tone up and get into shape really fast, not to mention lose 182 pounds:P….so she finally hopped over ont othe saddle, and she loves it!! She wears my fullface, and rides my big bike on our urban rides….

I have still yet to take her to the trails though….shes not a big fan of the steep stuff:P

May 20, 2005, 11:35 a.m.

Well my girlfriend saw that Mountain biking helped me tone up and get into shape really fast, not to mention lose 182 pounds:P….so she finally hopped over ont othe saddle, and she loves it!! She wears my fullface, and rides my big bike on our urban rides….

I have still yet to take her to the trails though….shes not a big fan of the steep stuff:P

no shit hey? you were what..two of your now? amazing really!!

maybe start her on some harder xc style riding and see how she takes to it…

OR…put her on the hardest possible trail around and after that, everything else will seem easier :) no really, dont do that…I did something similar to that and paid dearly for it!

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

May 20, 2005, 11:41 a.m.

Make sure she's not too dangerous.
No stitches for the bitches…

May 20, 2005, 11:56 a.m.

Take her out for something fun and easy, if she likes it and wants to do more, then I'd echo the others who have suggested a women's only camp. My GF has been to three of the DirtSeries and wants to go to another one this summer. She always comes out of those weekends with a big smile, a feeling of accomplishment and a huge desire to go ride some more.

May 20, 2005, 12:04 p.m.

There's lots of women's beginner classes out there. www.womensonly.com is one that my wife used to take. They teach them the skills in a non-testosterone environment, and just as importantly get them together with other women at a similar skill level.

The one my wife has done a couple of times is Spokeswomen.
http://ww1.whistlerblackcomb.com/bike/spokes/

She is currently taking a couple a course through Endless Biking. http://www.endlessbiking.com/

I agree, women learn differently than guys, so having a good instuctor is key to women enjoying the experience.

May 20, 2005, 12:35 p.m.

Call your local bike shop and ask about ladies rides. If your gf is a beginner than she may be intimidated riding with you and your buddies.

hol-ee shit but that's a big hole :eek:

May 20, 2005, 12:44 p.m.

im sending the GF here this summer:

http://www.dirtseries.com/

shes super stoked on the idea…6:1 ratio with coaches, and all girls…

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

May 20, 2005, 1:20 p.m.

Bottom line - make it fun. You know what works best for your GF and what will make it fun for her, whether it's baked goods, the time together, the time in the outdoors, exercise, the challenge, whatever.

Pretty much. The "Fun Factor" is why you're out there, so make the best out of it. Everyone's got a different learning curve, and has a different level of altheticism. One girl might take a fall off a ladder into a creekbed full of rocks and sit there laughing, while another will let her pride get in the way and start to bitch and moan. You guy's all know that to get one friend into riding will be totally different than getting another into the sport; guy or gal.

Riding with girls is super fun cause they dont talk about bike stuff when riding and are generally more laid back than the guys out there…

May 20, 2005, 1:52 p.m.

a wife's opinion…

As a wife who never rode until 4 years ago, here is the formula that worked on me…

• note I am making generalizations here…

1) Most importantly, get her out riding with other girls. Do not underestimate the power of girlie peer pressure. It is real and will do wonders for her riding and confidence…seeing a guy do a drop is one thing, but seeing another girl do it is totally different (just trust me on this one!)

2) Lessons are the key, most of us never jumped our bikes as a kid so this is not a natural feeling for us… most guys just "do it" without know how/what they are actually doing to get the bike to move a certain way. Lessons help explain all this and more. Do not try to guess/make suggestions, your suggestion will most likely be wrong, this theory can be applied to windsurfing too … sorry a jab at the hubby there…

3) "If you look the part you will be the part" My husband came home with a bag full of goodies for me (jersey, pants, shorts, my own tools, spare tube etc). Women are gear pigs (note our shoe collections) so having the right gear can make a huge difference.

4) Lastly enthusiasm and being proud that she is out there with you. Your enthusiasm for the sport can be very infectious. Nothing makes me more proud then when my husband points out to to the guys in bike shops outside of the lower mainland that I ride the Shore every weekend. Tell her how proud you are that she is out riding in the most technical terrain in the world, this works really well when she is having a bad ride!

good luck

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

May 20, 2005, 2:29 p.m.

i'd assume you know your gf better than anyone on here. most people seem to be giving you advice about riding with girls, getting lessons, and keeping it easy. i think that's a crock. i never rode with girls, never had lessons, and first day on a bike of ANY kind i rode down seymour on a road bike with no armour.

granted i'm not like most girls but you have to judge what she will like. and she might surprise you. i was a total girly girl before i rode bikes. point is if she's keen she'll learn as fast as she wants on whatever kind of bike she wants. if she's not there is sfa you can do about it "getting" her to ride. :)

ride a horse! 1200 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs…
but riding bikes is still fun!

May 20, 2005, 2:50 p.m.

lol, bunny is right, I ride with a woman that got on a bike and rode not only with the guys right away but with racers. She drops, gaps and rips better then most of the guys. If your gf is one of those exceptionally cool women that we all want to date like Denise and bunny then by all means throw her into the fray and she will love it or hate it. You are really the only one who knows her.

hol-ee shit but that's a big hole :eek: