Getting your wife/fiancee/girlfriend/female friend to ride...

May 20, 2005, 2:46 a.m.

Hi all!

I have read through the postings and there have been several questions in the Gear section regarding purchasing mtb bikes for their other half mostly females. I think it's great and I was wondering what you have done to keep them in the sport. It is quite an expensive sport so pushing someone into it would not be very good investment. Most girls/ladies/woman would probably not ever set foot on the shore, and if any the population is relatively small (I cheer for all of ya out there beating me down the trails and hitting stuff I dream of!!). I was thinking of pushing my girl into riding, but I do not want to invest a few G's on a bike and equipment for it to end up sitting in my garage gathering dust. Maybe some of you can give me some advice as to what you done previously that has made your other half continue being in the sport, maybe some of the female riders can put in some input as to how you started and what did you do to overcome the fear of getting hurt. All advice welcome. Thanks!

May 20, 2005, 5:43 a.m.

first step…..dont "push" her into a sport YOU like.

Pastor of Muppets

May 20, 2005, 6:26 a.m.

next, don't teach her yourself. You will get blamed for her falling. its better for her to complain to you about something someone else made her do, than an extremely quiet drive home.

May 20, 2005, 6:48 a.m.

most importantly, tgake them on a super easy ride….and remember to seriously consider their skill level….think of something you think is super easy, and then find something easier…..let them take their time, don't push them, let them go at their pace, ride behind them……don't drop serious g's on something before finding out they like it less than getting their nails pulled…..or more than sex! :)

May 20, 2005, 7:22 a.m.

if they go "how come your bike has tha springy thingy on the back??"

just run away

yo

May 20, 2005, 8:26 a.m.

My wife wanted to try mountain biking since I did it and she took an all womens mountain bike beginners course and now she is addicted.Women hate it when men tell them "what" or "how to do it" but if another women shows them then it is easier for them to learn. If she has a friend who wants to learn to ride they should do it together and then she would be more willing to ride. The group I ride with now, almost has as many female riders as guys. Patience is the key.

May 20, 2005, 8:31 a.m.

next, don't teach her yourself. You will get blamed for her falling. its better for her to complain to you about something someone else made her do, than an extremely quiet drive home.

I totally agree, i tried to get my wife into riding… tried to show her how to do some things… thought she'd learn most of it on her own like I did. BUT, she crashed a lot and blamed me, and then when her collarbone broke…. she had said she was trying to keep up to me and show me that she doesn't need me to teach her. STUBORN!!! She learnt for sure, hasn't ridden since (3 years ago).

Get her into a womens only class or something like that, and remember BABY STEPS!

My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch. :scream:

May 20, 2005, 8:32 a.m.

There's lots of women's beginner classes out there. www.womensonly.com is one that my wife used to take. They teach them the skills in a non-testosterone environment, and just as importantly get them together with other women at a similar skill level.

May 20, 2005, 8:34 a.m.

first step…..dont "push" her into a sport YOU like.

Agreed. Take her for a ride on a borrowed bike or something. If she likes it, then cool, she can progress from there. If its not something she likes, thats cool too. Its good to have your own hobbies and I'm sure you've got lots of bros to ride with.

May 20, 2005, 9:36 a.m.

I'm just getting my girl a cheap starter bike so we can ride around town and sometimes out at UBC. Once she starts to get more adventurous and used to being on a bike again we'll see what happens. Oh and she asked me if she could get a bike!

Jon-boy.

May 20, 2005, 9:40 a.m.

1) Don't push her into it
2) Don't buy a lot of stuff
3) SUGGEST a women's camp - www.dirtseries.com
4) Be encouraging if and when she does start riding
5) Make it as much fun as possible when you do go out, i.e. go for short, easy rides and leave her wanting more, not hating the experience.

She said, why don't you stop your crying/
Go outside and ride your bike
- Sliver, Nirvana

"If stars were all that mattered, why would I go to the trouble of writing a review?" - Roger Ebert

May 20, 2005, 9:51 a.m.

If she doesn't make the step on her own, you will have a miserable time with her on the bike. She has to have the drive and the interest on her own…if she doesn't, the shin - burgers, the falling down, the getting off and walking, the over-the-bars etc, part of learning won't be fun, and the crappy parts of it will be amplified like you never imagined.

She has to want it. If she wants it, all of the above are things that will make her smile and keep trying.

If you push her, or try to make her like it, all of the above will make her hate you! :lol:

And Stu's right…Don't open the wallet until you are sure she's gonna stick with it.

May 20, 2005, 10:04 a.m.

1/ Make her buy her own gear. Gals want independence so it's best to ensure you don't get in the way of the quest. :idea:

2/ Shut the fack up and just ler her ride- it's not about you, it's about her. If she has questions do more listening than talking. And if you are required to answer then make sure it's 10 words or less. Think about it- do you want to be nagged when you ride? Do the math on that one.

3/ Make sure to set the example by stocking the fridge/cooler/creek/bucket with some Stella's so she can partake in post ride rituals. And if she cuts a block of post ride cheese because her metabolism is running a tad hot then give the best applause you can and don't try to match it- it's her moment of glory. :idea:

Pass the beer nutz.

Ride More Bitch Less

May 20, 2005, 10:15 a.m.

One thing that's worked for me - "treats" on the ride. Go to the local bakery and get some good baked goods as a mid-ride reward. There's no reward quite like an apple and caramel focaccia from Terra Breads. :drool:

And I'd second the idea of them buying their own gear. That way, you don't get bent out of shape if they're not using it. There's also more of an incentive for them to get out there now that they've dropped the cash on something.

Another thing - armour. Lots and lots and lots of it. Definitely money well spent.

She said, why don't you stop your crying/
Go outside and ride your bike
- Sliver, Nirvana

"If stars were all that mattered, why would I go to the trouble of writing a review?" - Roger Ebert

May 20, 2005, 10:34 a.m.

jesus…you guys really treat your girlfriends/wives like lab rats/pavlovian dogs? too funny…

for me it was easy…

"hey i want to get into riding"
"sweet, lets get you a bike"
"this xc stuff is fun, but i want to go downhill faster and jump"
"sweet, lets get you a better bike"
"i need to go bigger and faster…"
"sweet lets get you a full squish"
"awesome..i need to learn to be better than you"
"sweet, lets enter you into a camp this summer"

….

yeah thats about it…

no coaxing with treats, treating her like a 4 year old…and she drinks pints with the boys…

the ONE thing that i have seen almost every girl do..and i say ALMOST…get super bitchy…chelsey is no exception to this rule…man can she get bitchy..its always when she think she should be able to do something and she cant…the death clouds come quickly…but this is usually fixed with another run down a different trail…this i can live with.

the dont push thing…i cant agree more. i have seen so many girlfriends quit riding cause the boyfriend felt like dragging them down the wrong trail or were trying to tell them they can do something they cant…

supportive over pushy…best advice you can live by.
sometimes you will get asked how to do something or "why cant i…"…no matter how you answer, its wrong…just accept it, and move forward…its life.

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve