Getting to Mt. Seymour via public transit

Aug. 31, 2005, 11:03 a.m.

Howdy

I went to Seymour yesterday for the first time and had a blast on Severed Dick and some other fine trails. I'm staying with my bro in Vancouver (Kitsilano) and he won't be able to drive me again, so I NEED to know if it's possible to take transit (w/ my bike of course).

I understand that the seabus can take me over to Lonsdale Quay, but I don't know what to do from there. Any tips? Are there any better routes??

Please help a brother out!

Thank you, thank you.

Aug. 31, 2005, 11:11 a.m.

You can get to fromme easier on the transit system, also I hear cypress bike park has a shuttle from park royal mall.

Aug. 31, 2005, 11:12 a.m.

http://www.translink.bc.ca/

Aug. 31, 2005, 11:13 a.m.

You can get to fromme easier on the transit system

DO you know the bus number from downtown Vancouver or where I could find out the route?

Thanks.

Aug. 31, 2005, 11:14 a.m.

catch the #239 from lonsdale quay to the phibbs exchange and then transfer over to the #211

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 31, 2005, 11:19 a.m.

to get to fromme catch the #229 and get off at lynn valley road and mtn highway. then pedal up mtn highway to the good stuff

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 31, 2005, 11:20 a.m.

210 goes from downtown to fromme as well

not sure how many of the N Van buses actually have bike racks tho …

Aug. 31, 2005, 11:27 a.m.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I went to the translink website and downloaded the maps. It looks like there is another bus (#290) that goes from downtown, over the Ironworkers bridge, and east on the Seymour parkway. I guess I could get off at Seymour road and ride to the top, hopefully w/o losing a lung!

Aug. 31, 2005, 11:35 a.m.

If your going to do any pedaling up, I would sujest going to Fromme instead. It's a much nicer climb in the forest, rather than on a road with cars whizzing by. Plus the trails are amazing on Fromme and there are many to choose from.

Enjoy either way!

:canada: :swiss:

Aug. 31, 2005, 11:56 a.m.

If your going to do any pedaling up, I would sujest going to Fromme instead. It's a much nicer climb in the forest, rather than on a road with cars whizzing by. Plus the trails are amazing on Fromme and there are many to choose from.

Enjoy either way!

Are the distances equal? I'm leaning towards Seymour because I'm slightly more familiar with the trails (never been to Fromme). I'd like to ride CBC, but Upper Oil Can sounds good too.

Aug. 31, 2005, 12:02 p.m.

The climb up Fromme is shorter in terms of time and definitely less steep (from the gate).

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 31, 2005, 12:07 p.m.

The climb up Fromme is much easier. You could probably get in two runs as opposed to only doing the one run at Seymour. However the Seymour climb is definitely recommended. I have done it on my big bike before and it's not that bad, especially in the cooler weather we are having now…

-m

Aug. 31, 2005, 12:25 p.m.

when are you going back up to seymour? if its on the weekend, you can always hook up with tim (huckwagon) and use his van as a shuttle service. I believe its 7 or 8 bucks per ride up.

If you are planning on going during the week, i would highly recommend Fromme. The ride up is nice, not hard at all, and there are a TON of trials to choose from. Below is a link to the trails. The parking indications are WRONG so please ignore them.

http://www.nsmba.bc.ca/maps/MapOfFromme.pdf

Either way, have a hoot!

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

Aug. 31, 2005, 12:52 p.m.

At the same time, if you are dead set on doing Seymour, a weekday is the time to go. The traffic on the road gets pretty busy on weekends.

Relatively speaking, the Fromme climb to the 7th switchback takes about 2/3 the time it takes to reach CBC on Seymour.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Aug. 31, 2005, 1:45 p.m.

seymour climb up to Corkscrew is less than up to 7th on fromme, even if you take trails (Old Buck). if you take Old Buck you avoid a lot of pavement, but it is steep and loose in spots.

i'd even wager that all the up to CBC on pavement is not that much more than up to 7th if you start down at Lynn Valley Mall …