Getting the Guts

Jan. 16, 2003, 1:44 p.m.

Hello!
Heres the deal, over here we've built some gnarly ladders the only problem is I can't ride them. I have a powerful fear of heights and it looks damn scary.
Could you give me some tips on how to build up of confidence (cause theres a lack of it) nd get the guts to push urself?

Cheers:rocker:

Originally posted by Count Blah
Count Blah chillin' in the bushes:thepimp:

Euuuurah Euuuuuuuughah! Eugh… FUCK! :lol:
I've sentenced myself to a life behind bars, great!

Jan. 16, 2003, 2:01 p.m.

So you pretty much want to get over the fear of heights then?
If just being on the ladder bridge is scarey why not just walk along it for awhile. Maybe sit on the edge and try to relax?

Start off riding on things not so high. Get used to the feeling. Work you way up to higher things as you get comfortable.

good luck :fro:

superheros
I like bikes

Jan. 16, 2003, 2:09 p.m.

Yes, SHane has the money advice. Do as he says, get better you will.

Jan. 16, 2003, 2:23 p.m.

shane has got it dialed! do as he says!

I used to be shit scared of heights… still am very respectful of them, but I took up rock climbing, and nothing gets you over heights better than that! you just have to spend time getting comfortable at that height. try and relax, and you will be riding them in no time!:)
good luck!

Keith Scott
Banshee Bikes Designer
www.bansheebikes.com
http://bansheebikes.blogspot.com

Jan. 16, 2003, 2:25 p.m.

So y is shane the man then?

Jan. 16, 2003, 2:34 p.m.

well he certainly is not the woman:rolleyes:

well put it this way, when it comes to guts… shane has them! and then some! infact maybe he stole yours????:D

Keith Scott
Banshee Bikes Designer
www.bansheebikes.com

Jan. 16, 2003, 2:41 p.m.

walk the bridges first to get used to that height. thats what i do sometimes…even when a drop is small enough i jump off of it just to get used to it before i drop it

Ipad Accessories

J.M.T

Originally posted by eryn

IH8XC i'll keep you in mind when all the men die, all the goats die and the batteries in my vibrator run out.

Jan. 16, 2003, 3:52 p.m.

Sometimes heights can be misleading. Example: last year was my first season of skiing and I accidentally went off a jump. I thought I was about fifteen feet in the air but it turned out to be only about five feet. When you fear something, your mind will probably exagerate the thing you're fearing because there could be a good reason to stay away.

Like Inshane said, start small and build up. The first day I went skiing, the easiest run felt really hard. Now I straight line it really fast and I feel comfortable on it. Another thing you can do to get over the fear is fall off a bridge sometimes (not intentionally and not on high bridges). If you don't hurt yourself much, maybe you'll realize that falling of a higher bridge won't be quite as bad. Just remember that there is a point where you don't want to do that.

But maybe you've reached your limit. Everyone has limits.

Jan. 17, 2003, 8:27 a.m.

I that case, DAMN!

Jan. 17, 2003, 9:32 a.m.

You won't have reached your limit dood, just walk the ladders, its all about confidence really. Push yourself, but you need to know where to stop pushing or bad stuff will happen. And yea… listen to Shane!

Where abouts are you in England? (You are in England right?)

:scotland: El Presidente

Jan. 17, 2003, 9:35 a.m.

I have the same problem..and there are times when you can just suck it up and try..and times when your like NO WAY..

do what shane said..and Blaine gave me some good advice..make sure you breath.

ScotShip Award Recipient

Jan. 17, 2003, 10:06 a.m.

Originally posted by Big_Air_Smite
**You won't have reached your limit dood, just walk the ladders, its all about confidence really. Push yourself, but you need to know where to stop pushing or bad stuff will happen. And yea… listen to Shane!

Where abouts are you in England? (You are in England right?) **

Yup i'm in the SE. I'll try the stuff if I can. I just keep on thinkig about what will happen if i go wrong.

Jan. 17, 2003, 10:35 a.m.

Hesitation is Devastation. Take your time and don't try it until you feel good about it, and you need to WANT it bad…Follow your gut and take the time to build up to it.

Jan. 17, 2003, 10:42 a.m.

yeah hesitation is a killer, if your going to go for it… GO FOR IT, don't hold back!:)

Keith Scott
Banshee Bikes Designer
www.bansheebikes.com

Jan. 17, 2003, 10:55 a.m.

take up rock climbing. i did that and it has really helped with my fear of hieghts(unless i have just fallen on my face off of a log ride) and then just ride what you feel comfortable with and then just a LITTLE bit more. i am totally comfortable on a log ride that is about 5 feet high. the highest i will go on one is about 8 feet.
shane's advice is good too. start small then work your way up. i remeber when something 1 foot high was scary to me. and the time when jumping off the 6 inch curb was huge. now 10 feet is high for a log ride and dropping anywhere from 5 to 20 feet is easy. just ride within (or just past) your limits and don't care what people think.

Tim Gadd

:coo: biking for the Lord. :coo: