Gate blocking Cypress Parking Lot #5 to prevent dumping

July 11, 2012, 6:51 p.m.

Changes are coming to Cypress Parking Lot #5. This is the lot just above the 4th switchback on Cypress, at the entrance to Blind Skier/Pre-Reaper.

There's been a lot of dumping there, everything from yard debris to concrete and furniture. To make matters worse, most of it is dumped down the steep slope in the SE corner, making it difficult to clean up.

To prevent dumping, BC Parks will be installing a locked gate at the end of the access road into the parking lot, just before it broadens out into the parking lot. There should be space for 5 or 6 cars to park along the side of the access. Additional parking is still available across Cypress Bowl Road at the road to the cabins.

The gate will go up soon and be left open for a while, but eventually it will be locked.

What do you think? How often are there more than a few cars in the lot?

Here's some photos of latest dumping.

July 11, 2012, 8:45 p.m.

I fully support measures to prevent the illegal dumping of refuse - but this is typical in that a small group of butt-holes have forced the authorities to 'wreck it for everyone' so to speak. When I hear stories like this, and unfortunately they are all too common, I want to throw the culprits down the embankment.

July 11, 2012, 8:52 p.m.

Thats too bad. Although, I've never seen more than 3 cars parked in the lot at one time. Gotta do what they gotta do.

July 11, 2012, 9:43 p.m.

Much rather see them set up a camera and catch these dirt bags and make the fine pay for clean up and the camera!

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

July 11, 2012, 9:58 p.m.

Much rather see them set up a camera and catch these dirt bags and make the fine pay for clean up and the camera!

BC parks user fees to pay for the camera?
Gate sucks balls , but is the cheapest option . its a quick pedal up from other parking spots .
I will miss drinking beer in lot 5 though. hmmm may have to just hop the gate and tip a half sack for old times sake!

but i do agree , it would be awesome to call some jack ass out with evidence.

July 11, 2012, 10:06 p.m.

A camera was considered, but cameras are better at identifying vehicles than people.

In 2008 BC Parks did a excellent job of sleuthing down and fining a dumper caught in photos, but there was an eyewitness, the guy taking the pictures!

We need more people with GoPro's up there!

July 11, 2012, 10:44 p.m.

so long as they don't do no parking in front of the gate…

July 12, 2012, 1:02 p.m.

In 2008 BC Parks did a excellent job of sleuthing down and fining a dumper caught in photos, but there was an eyewitness, the guy taking the pictures!

I would think pics or video would be pretty key in prosecuting someone.

I caught a guy dumping (garbage) off Indian River Rd. I had no camera but the threat of calling in his license plate was enough to get him to scramlbe up and down the embankment cleaning it up. It was really satisfying to watch but the bummer is that he probably drove a few kms over and dumped it again. :(

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 12, 2012, 3:26 p.m.

Tthese A-Holes will simply dump in another location. Not a huge fan of the trails accessed from this lot so it won't break my heart.

July 12, 2012, 3:49 p.m.

Tthese A-Holes will simply dump in another location. Not a huge fan of the trails accessed from this lot so it won't break my heart.

If I remember correctly, theres a couple of places higher up the road to park anyway. Also, is it possible to park at the nordic ski area and freewheel down the road?

July 14, 2012, 7:41 p.m.

New gate installed , and locked .

nice orange colour , just enough room to walk around with a sack of beer.

July 16, 2012, 10:40 p.m.

Saw that on Sunday. Definitely a fresh coat of paint on it.

Only one other car there and NO ONE riding Pre-Reaper during the couple of hours I was there hauling crush. Does heavy lightning and torrential rain keep riders at home these days?