Gas Rationing, Power Outages, Shuttling, Bike Choices etc.

Dec. 1, 2021, 5:04 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Did you look into fitting it entirely on the longtail, that is, not towing it but mounting it to the outriggers or something?

Some inspiration from back when I lived in Calgary. Meat powered cargo bike. The only "e" was "me"!

The tray was not needed to carry a bike, but if you were going to haul a MTB to the trails it could be worth it for the stability/security.

Dec. 1, 2021, 7:29 a.m.

Posted by: Zowsch

Posted by: FLATCH

What do you do with it while you’re riding?

I lock the cargo bike at the bottom. Likely safer at any trailhead than downtown.

I don't know, maybe by a bit. Lee and Sharon had their Ti hard tails stolen from Seymour-Hyannis area on Monday while doing trail work... Not locked, but fairly close by, and random trail-user made off with them.

Dec. 1, 2021, 7:31 a.m.

Cargo bikes! I love mine, classic Xtracycle kit on a Mongoose NX frame. Used to be my daily commuter, now serves as my "pickup truck". Would love to get a Surly Big Dummy some day, but this gets the job done. The only problem with it is that it suffers from the "Xtracycle wiggle" when it is heavily loaded (more than 100 lbs).

Last edited by: kavurider on Dec. 1, 2021, 7:33 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated pictures
Dec. 1, 2021, 8:36 a.m.

Nice Xtracycle! I'm a bit sad I sold my Big Dummy, but I drive so little these days that having an excuse to fire up the truck once a week is actually beneficial and I can do the rest of my bike errands with a backpack and/or rear panniers. When I get rid of the truck I might replace it with another cargo bike.

Dec. 1, 2021, 9:20 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Nice Xtracycle! I'm a bit sad I sold my Big Dummy, but I drive so little these days that having an excuse to fire up the truck once a week is actually beneficial and I can do the rest of my bike errands with a backpack and/or rear panniers. When I get rid of the truck I might replace it with another cargo bike.

Thanks! I don't ride the Xtra as much lately, but I try to take it out every so often.

I want a Big Dummy but I have a hard time justifying the cost, since I got the Xtracycle kit so cheap and the donor bike was $75 on Craigslist.

Dec. 2, 2021, 4:42 a.m.

Posted by: kavurider

Thanks! I don't ride the Xtra as much lately, but I try to take it out every so often.

I want a Big Dummy but I have a hard time justifying the cost, since I got the Xtracycle kit so cheap and the donor bike was $75 on Craigslist.

I think the BD is worth it for folks who are cargo biking everyday. Sounds like you have a great setup for your particular needs.

Dec. 2, 2021, 10:53 a.m.

Jeez my XL Geometron G1 is longer than all those cargo bikes. Get with the program.

Last edited by: craw on Dec. 2, 2021, 10:53 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 2, 2021, 11:03 a.m.

Posted by: craw

Jeez my XL Geometron G1 is longer than all those cargo bikes.

And doesn't have a single set of water bottle mounts inside the frame.

I read/listened to one of CP's interviews where he mentioned extra weight on the frame could prove useful. I was thinking...imagine if you could even drink that weight at the right time. ;-)

Last edited by: Vikb on Dec. 2, 2021, 11:05 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 7, 2021, 8:04 p.m.

Posted by: Zowsch

I rigged this up last spring so I wouldn't have to drive to ride (and after I saw a similar setup flying up Mtn Hwy). All the more apropos now. For the record, I am not interested in simplifying to the point of getting an emtb.

https://imgur.com/gallery/pEicc9w

Could have been me... blue longtail bike?

Dec. 8, 2021, 2:06 p.m.

I read/listened to one of CP's interviews where he mentioned extra weight on the frame could prove useful. I was thinking...imagine if you could even drink that weight at the right time. ;-)

If you want the bike light for the climb and extra weight for the descent in strategic spots, you're going to have to ride up with an empty bottle. Then, stop at the top for a quick break and to fill the ballast container(s). Finally, ride down and enjoy max performance.

Last edited by: mrbrett on Dec. 8, 2021, 2:06 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 8, 2021, 2:48 p.m.

Kid in the front and towing a blue Evil? It was a blue e-bike but more Dutch style with the cargo up front.

Dec. 9, 2021, 2:28 p.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

If you want the bike light for the climb and extra weight for the descent in strategic spots, you're going to have to ride up with an empty bottle. Then, stop at the top for a quick break and to fill the ballast container(s). Finally, ride down and enjoy max performance.

Lol as if the G1 needed any extra weight on the frame. My XL frame and shock was close to 11lbs. It's got plenty of ballast without needing a water bottle.

Dec. 9, 2021, 7:53 p.m.

The aluminum Process 153 frame I had was 10.3 lbs with an air shock (didn’t bother pressing the headset cups out to weigh). At least that G1 probably had a good enough ride that it made up for the weight!