Gas Rationing, Power Outages, Shuttling, Bike Choices etc.

Nov. 23, 2021, 7:19 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: tashi

What did you guys do with those pictures before this thread came along? Evidence for when you call the gas cops? Bitchy texts between you and the wife about how shittier everyone else is? Your Instagram/Facebook feeds?

Seriously. Why take them?

That one is from a fb motorcycle group I'm in. I only posted it because of all the ruckus in here. As for why take them you'd have to ask the person who took them, but I'd guess it was because the afternoon the 30L restriction was set in place they saw these two filling up what looks to be 5 or 6 20L jerry cans. People takes pics of pretty much everything these days, so this one isn't really a surprise.

Gotta keep that outrage cycle going I guess.

Nov. 23, 2021, 8:53 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Some gas stations here in WVan are dry. None left.

This is why the rationing order should've come with a mandatory 48 hour doubling of gas prices.

If people are going to be a-holes, at least make them pay for the privilege. Not that that would've stopped the local stations from running dry. Sigh.

Nov. 23, 2021, 9:19 a.m.

Posted by: AlanB

Posted by: Ddean

Some gas stations here in WVan are dry. None left.

This is why the rationing order should've come with a mandatory 48 hour doubling of gas prices.

If people are going to be a-holes, at least make them pay for the privilege. Not that that would've stopped the local stations from running dry. Sigh.

I actually think doubling the gas price is a great idea (in this specific situation). A natural control to get people to follow the rules... they can hoard all they want at 2x the price. Pretty sure that would deter the vast majority of these types...

Nov. 23, 2021, 11:18 a.m.

only thing that doubling gas price would do is hurt the people that can least afford it.  putting in a rationing system on the honour system is just dumb.

Nov. 23, 2021, 11:40 a.m.

This thread should go to NBR

sorry :-(

Nov. 23, 2021, 11:57 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Gotta keep that outrage cycle going I guess.

I’m not outraged, and not surprised either. In fact I think it should be expected that this sort of thing will happen.

Nov. 23, 2021, 1:50 p.m.

Posted by: taprider

I think the original intent was whether or not gas restrictions would hamper the shuttle monkeys weekends.

Nov. 23, 2021, 2:31 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

I think the original intent was whether or not gas 'suggestions' would hamper the shuttle monkeys weekends.

FYP for you :) I wouldn't consider it a restriction if it is based on the honour system, merely a suggestion.

Nov. 23, 2021, 2:45 p.m.

LOL - love it.

Nov. 23, 2021, 3:18 p.m.

But. No one has defended Minions yet ;-)

Nov. 23, 2021, 3:49 p.m.

Nov. 23, 2021, 4:59 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

At least she’s wearing a mask.

We are all bandits now.

Nov. 23, 2021, 9:36 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

only thing that doubling gas price would do is hurt the people that can least afford it. putting in a rationing system on the honour system is just dumb.

Agreed on the downside of this hitting hardest on those that can ill afford it plus those that depend of their vehicles for work. That's why I suggested it only for a 48 hour cooling-off period.

Nov. 26, 2021, 9:59 a.m.

I've done rides to the trails/back on 29 x 2.6" DHF/DHR with an insert in the rear tire. Pavement/gravel sections varied from 20kms to 40kms. No problems at all. I thought they'd suck and expected the first ride to the trails to be the last, but nope it was fine and I just kept rolling. I've got a few hundred Minion road KMs now and I don't give it a second thought.

Although if I am heading out with folks on gravel bikes I grab my bike that has 29 x 2.8" Rekons on it, but then we aren't going to do any real shredding. ;-)

The gas supply issue hasn't affected us as we drive very infrequently. I put ~2,800kms on my truck in the last 12 months less the driving I did for the move to Comox. The most horde-y thing I've done recently was buy a 12 pack of Mr. Noodles and a complete Shimano 11 speed drivetrain. I figure between the two that should solve a lot of potential problems!

Last edited by: Vikb on Nov. 26, 2021, 10 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Nov. 26, 2021, 1:06 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I've done rides to the trails/back on 29 x 2.6" DHF/DHR with an insert in the rear tire. Pavement/gravel sections varied from 20kms to 40kms. No problems at all. I thought they'd suck and expected the first ride to the trails to be the last, but nope it was fine and I just kept rolling. I've got a few hundred Minion road KMs now and I don't give it a second thought.

Although if I am heading out with folks on gravel bikes I grab my bike that has 29 x 2.8" Rekons on it, but then we aren't going to do any real shredding. ;-)

The gas supply issue hasn't affected us as we drive very infrequently. I put ~2,800kms on my truck in the last 12 months less the driving I did for the move to Comox. The most horde-y thing I've done recently was buy a 12 pack of Mr. Noodles and a complete Shimano 11 speed drivetrain. I figure between the two that should solve a lot of potential problems!

I ride from Lower Lonsdale to Seymour or Fromme occasionally and also don't find the Minions (DHF 2.5, DHR2 2.4) to be a huge issue. It's more the additional climbing and the car traffic that withholds me from doing it more often. A few years ago I spent a month in New Zealand where I often rode from my accommodation to the trails and never perceived the tires as an issue for the road commute.

Also @Vikb, off-topic but I would be interested to hear why you moved to Comox (and from where) and how you are liking it. We are thinking about a change of scenery and after having visited a few times this year we are "Comox-curious". Seems like a great place to live and a good base for the surrounding area which we really like. We'll probably try to spend some more time there next year but in the meantime curious to hear your thoughts.