Gas Rationing, Power Outages, Shuttling, Bike Choices etc.

Nov. 26, 2021, 2:12 p.m.

Haha - I totally misunderstood the OP.  When he said no one has defended Minions yet, I thought that was some new hip term used to describe people who shuttle.

Nov. 26, 2021, 2:17 p.m.

I rigged this up last spring so I wouldn't have to drive to ride (and after I saw a similar setup flying up Mtn Hwy). All the more apropos now. For the record, I am not interested in simplifying to the point of getting an emtb.

https://imgur.com/gallery/pEicc9w

Last edited by: Zowsch on Nov. 26, 2021, 2:19 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: *edit: photo attachment fail
Nov. 26, 2021, 3:48 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Also @Vikb, off-topic but I would be interested to hear why you moved to Comox (and from where) and how you are liking it. We are thinking about a change of scenery and after having visited a few times this year we are "Comox-curious". Seems like a great place to live and a good base for the surrounding area which we really like. We'll probably try to spend some more time there next year but in the meantime curious to hear your thoughts.

I started a thread about Moving to Comox in NBR so we wouldn't derail this fine thread!

https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/nbr-not-biking-related-9/topic/moving-to-comox-132236/

Nov. 28, 2021, 12:05 p.m.

Posted by: Zowsch

I rigged this up last spring so I wouldn't have to drive to ride (and after I saw a similar setup flying up Mtn Hwy). All the more apropos now. For the record, I am not interested in simplifying to the point of getting an emtb.

Nice, I hope to set something similar up when we get our longtail. 

Did you look into fitting it entirely on the longtail, that is, not towing it but mounting it to the outriggers or something?

Nov. 29, 2021, 7:48 a.m.

What do you do with it while you’re riding?

Nov. 29, 2021, 1:40 p.m.

30L restriction extended to December 14th.

Nov. 29, 2021, 2:30 p.m.

Went to the gas station today and bought 29.9L.  Was surprised to see that they had not implemented a limiter on their pumps.  It's still the honour system, but surely a limiter is possible?  In fact I'm certain I have gone to fill up in the past only to see that the station was limiting purchases to a preset dollar amount.  At current prices they could set the limit to $50 and that would equate to about 30L.

Nov. 29, 2021, 3:16 p.m.

Posted by: Ride.DMC

Went to the gas station today and bought 29.9L.  Was surprised to see that they had not implemented a limiter on their pumps.  It's still the honour system, but surely a limiter is possible?  In fact I'm certain I have gone to fill up in the past only to see that the station was limiting purchases to a preset dollar amount.  At current prices they could set the limit to $50 and that would equate to about 30L.

Both dollar and volume limits are possible on the pumps. The retailer is likely too lazy to attempt to re-program them. If the provincial gov't can mandate the restrictions, im sure they could mandate that the pumps be limited as well, but they seem to think we are 'doing fine' with the honor system right now.

Nov. 29, 2021, 3:40 p.m.

Even with a hard limit at a pump you could just drive to another station and grab another 30L. Repeat until your tank was full. So it's basically the honour system regardless. If they wanted to really ration gas they'd issue gas coupons you needed to turn in with every trip to the pumps.

Nov. 29, 2021, 5:59 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Even with a hard limit at a pump you could just drive to another station and grab another 30L. Repeat until your tank was full. So it's basically the honour system regardless. If they wanted to really ration gas they'd issue gas coupons you needed to turn in with every trip to the pumps.

Absolutely someone could do this. Most people are inherently lazy in my experience, and would be less likely to do that than just overfill at the one station in my opinion.

Last edited by: shoreboy on Nov. 29, 2021, 9:57 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 29, 2021, 6:54 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Posted by: Vikb

Absolutely someone could do this. Most people are inherently lazy in my experience, and would be less likely to do that than just overfill at the on station in my opinion.

I think that's generally true. If it's going to require multiple stops to fill up, many people will think a little more about how to be more efficient with their gas use. 

On that note one hilarious option would be if there was no limit but pumps only operated at 5% speed. So you can fill up, if you're willing to hang out at the gas station for an hour. Hehe. Good thing I'm not a politician.  I would totally troll people.

Nov. 29, 2021, 11:40 p.m.

Last time I got gas it was limited to $30 on Dunbar and 41st or wherever that Shell is.  Pump was slow but no line but all pumps full.

It got cheap all of a sudden today too, everyone concerned about COVID again. I'm going to try to not get as stressed out this time.  Sure there are Omricon ? cases, but they're at home, not in the hospital, not dying.   So perhaps it's more of the same, which we're all pretty good at handling by now.

Nov. 30, 2021, 11:53 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Did you look into fitting it entirely on the longtail, that is, not towing it but mounting it to the outriggers or something?

I did not - this seemed the easiest way with my limited handyman skills. It is a bit long to ride with - tight corners can be problematic. I feel like an extra 30 lbs on one side would be a bit difficult to balance too.

Nov. 30, 2021, 11:56 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

What do you do with it while you’re riding?

I lock the cargo bike at the bottom. Likely safer at any trailhead than downtown.

Nov. 30, 2021, 6:39 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

I did not - this seemed the easiest way with my limited handyman skills. It is a bit long to ride with - tight corners can be problematic. I feel like an extra 30 lbs on one side would be a bit difficult to balance too.

Hmmmmmm. 

I’m picturing wheels on one side, bike on the other somehow. Maybe in those massive panniers that you can run on longtails. 

Anyone want a Subaru?  I need e-bike $$!