Future of slopestyle events

Dec. 31, 2006, 9:26 a.m.

the size of the stunts are already huge - I'm surprised there aren't more serious injuries - there is only so much the body can handle and bigger shocks don't help when you don't land a flip.

I'm sure at some point the riders will figure out the size and risk factor - and they are probably close now.

Dec. 31, 2006, 9:59 a.m.

The thing is that people are getting hurt, look at one of the spaniard brothers at crank works (Laconguy or something), he was pinning it but then was out for the finals. And super T he's constantly injured these days. Cam Zink says in the NWD6 extras about how he is always hurting himself.

There was an editorial in Dirt Rag about this as well jumps are probably reaching the height they can go safely or relitivly safely.

I think maybe the stunts are about the right size, if not too big, for slopestyle comps. I dont personally think there is any need for the jumps/drops need to be give you the willys big, cause guys wont pull the big tricks off them.

What i think the future of slopestyle will be is stunts that can be tricked well and also the stunts and lines will get more tech, so they turn into lines rather than a badly set out group of one hit wonders.

Dec. 31, 2006, 10:06 a.m.

I just watched NSX 9 again and a lot of the riders in the featured slopestyle comps have mad skills but somehow they are still figuring things out. Paul Bas will maybe land a Cancan 720 one day..who knows?

A couple of years ago nobody even thought about the double backflip and now it is officially landed, what about 360s with can can or supermen combos….there is waaaay more potential. And that is cool.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 31, 2006, 10:35 a.m.

The course changes are important too. A big mountain rampage style event was awesome, but what about a slightly toned down one, not quite as steep, not quite as rough, you'd probably see a lot more tricks be thrown and the best rider would still have to have some technical MTB skills to get down in one piece.

Dec. 31, 2006, 10:39 a.m.

The course changes are important too. A big mountain rampage style event was awesome, but what about a slightly toned down one, not quite as steep, not quite as rough, you'd probably see a lot more tricks be thrown and the best rider would still have to have some technical MTB skills to get down in one piece.

..so it is not only about djing skills. Cool idea.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 31, 2006, 10:44 a.m.

it would be cool but judging would have to be a bit clearer than at rampage, Gee was robbed last time out, nailing the hardest line time and time again and no winning. But im sure they know that.

The problem with the rampage esq event is that it doesnt promote a resort, crankworks works cause its at WHISTLER and so people go and it benifits whistler and you get spectators but a rampage esq event there isnt those things. Plus there isnt a hospital, look what happened to cedric and his spleen.

Dec. 31, 2006, 11 a.m.

I think the courses need to progress more then the riders. The riders are all getting better and sticking newer tricks but I don't think the courses are giving them the variaty to show off their skills yet.

There is plenty of room for this event to progress and maybe the big mountain events will make a come back.

Dec. 31, 2006, 11:04 a.m.

yeah i agree, some progression on the non jumps would be cool too, the bowl esq thing in the boneyard this year was cool. And the flow show type stuff in the town slopestyle was a cool addition

Dec. 31, 2006, 11:17 a.m.

Red Bull Ride in Australia needs to be brought back! most gnar course I ever seen!

Dec. 31, 2006, 1:12 p.m.

the size of the stunts are already huge - I'm surprised there aren't more serious injuries - there is only so much the body can handle and bigger shocks don't help when you don't land a flip.

I'm sure at some point the riders will figure out the size and risk factor - and they are probably close now.

Is this guy serious?? In EVERY sport never has one ever maxed out and Mountain biking is the sport that has progressed the less out of every sport, If anything its about to explode, not MAX out. So theirfore you are an ideot.

For Sale: 2007 Forum Youngblood 154 400$/ 2007 Forum Destroyer(joni malmi) 156 450$. PM me

Dec. 31, 2006, 1:13 p.m.

Is this guy serious?? In EVERY sport never has one ever maxed out and Mountain biking is the sport that has progressed the less out of every sport, If anything its about to explode, not MAX out. So theirfore you are an ideot.

go back to pinkbike.

Dec. 31, 2006, 1:32 p.m.

Red Bull Ride in Australia needs to be brought back! most gnar course I ever seen!

Yeah thats pretty much exactly what I was getting at before. I forgot about the Red Bull Ride. That was a great course for sure.

Dec. 31, 2006, 3:38 p.m.

Slopestyle wont get boring, Theres always someone who is gonna throw something huge like for example, Jordie Lunn @ The Berrecloth invitational with his 360 backflip. I personally think it all depends on how the course is designed.

Dec. 31, 2006, 5:11 p.m.

and surferjoe learn how to spell before calling someone an idiot !

Jan. 1, 2007, 4:38 a.m.

go back to pinkbike.

well this guy must be pretty sweet.

For Sale: 2007 Forum Youngblood 154 400$/ 2007 Forum Destroyer(joni malmi) 156 450$. PM me