Future of slopestyle events

Dec. 30, 2006, 2:25 p.m.

To start off I"m a fan of these events having been to Crankworxs the last couple of years , but where are they heading ?

Surely they are going to get stale as bikes and riders can only get so much speed , height and rotation that the tricks we are seeing are close to being maxed out .

After the step up in riding in the last two years this momentum can't last - what thoughts are out there ?

Dec. 30, 2006, 3:01 p.m.

you, my friend, have a very very crappy imagination.
Theres plenty of evolution left

Dec. 30, 2006, 3:17 p.m.

i would have to agree that there is a ton of room for progression, just look at bmx.

Dec. 30, 2006, 4:27 p.m.

Definitely not going to get stale. Theres a lot more to biking then spin rotations and going big. Right now it seems the top pros are all doing similar tricks. Soon enough people are going to have to do really different things to stand out. I for one want to see more turndowns and tobaggons thrown in slopestyle comps and less whips, flips and 3's.

Dec. 30, 2006, 7:37 p.m.

I think the courses will keep things fresh as well, the possibilities are endless when it comes to trail/stunt building and most of the courses I have seen are very well planned out, thoughtful and creative. this sets MTB apart for sure.

it's hard to face the problem when the problem is your face

Dec. 30, 2006, 7:59 p.m.

less whips and threes?….uhhh dont think those two will be going away anytime soon… but people are going to evolve and see more things as ridable structures like that crazy lady on the fixed gear doing flatland better than chad degroot.

- bike sexual

Dec. 30, 2006, 8:24 p.m.

Yah, its definatly not going to get stale. Gaps will get farther, stunts will get taller, riders will get better. The riders may peak in the way of spins, amount of flips and amount of whips, but the stunts/courses will be constantly developed. I think People will just get bord of watching slopestyle events eventually, but not anytime soon. Snowboarding slopestyle is still going good.Just watching what there is now amazes me.

Dec. 30, 2006, 8:59 p.m.

BMX has been bigger for a lot longer and they keep coming up with new shit every time. It's not the fact that people can throw huge tricks, it's all about putting them all together into a gnar run. It's not dead, nor will it be anytime soon.

Dec. 30, 2006, 9:04 p.m.

i would have to agree that there is a ton of room for progression, just look at bmx.

i do agree that there is a ton of room for progression. But has mxing rly progressed that much?, I mean, some aspects of it have, but theres only so many things and so many times u can do a 180 off sumthing. sure its prgressed but to where?

anus

Dec. 30, 2006, 10:35 p.m.

in the future i can see insane tricks like 360 double whips and 720 whips off big ass drops i dont see the size of stunts getting much bigger since there is only so much a person can take but i think crazier tricks will be thrown down off them

Dec. 30, 2006, 10:38 p.m.

i do agree that there is a ton of room for progression. But has mxing rly progressed that much?, I mean, some aspects of it have, but theres only so many things and so many times u can do a 180 off sumthing. sure its prgressed but to where?

No….Just, no.

www.stuartkennedy.ca
www.gnarwhale.com

Dec. 30, 2006, 11:16 p.m.

for me mountain biking isnt just about constantly throwing bigger badder tricks its more style so as long as people still got style its good

I have no children and my tits are super perky.

Dec. 30, 2006, 11:25 p.m.

I hope to see a big mountain event come back into the scene :(

Dec. 31, 2006, 4:32 a.m.

I hope to see a big mountain event come back into the scene :(

Agreed. Loved the Rampage..but the question is whether the slopestyle bros would simply transfer the slopestyle riding ont othe terrain. Just look at what The Claw did in his first ever Rampage run - a Superman seatgrab drop.

Anyways, I think that the obstacles could become a bit smaller. The slopestyle in Saalbach was sick, same for the Crankworx, but I think that the riders cannot physically last for that long. Sure BMX djs are HUGE but the riding has become smoother.

Odd thing is that I just watched a little vid of a Dirt Dewey (Mountain Dew?) contest, only BMX Djing - and i was not that blwon away. It was impresive, but..hmm. NOt my kind of scene.

I agree, just take a look at the first MTB slopestyles and compare them with what the big ones are throwing down…there is waaay more potential.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 31, 2006, 9:20 a.m.

Agreed. Loved the Rampage..but the question is whether the slopestyle bros would simply transfer the slopestyle riding ont othe terrain. Just look at what The Claw did in his first ever Rampage run - a Superman seatgrab drop.

Anyways, I think that the obstacles could become a bit smaller. The slopestyle in Saalbach was sick, same for the Crankworx, but I think that the riders cannot physically last for that long. Sure BMX djs are HUGE but the riding has become smoother.

Odd thing is that I just watched a little vid of a Dirt Dewey (Mountain Dew?) contest, only BMX Djing - and i was not that blwon away. It was impresive, but..hmm. NOt my kind of scene.

I agree, just take a look at the first MTB slopestyles and compare them with what the big ones are throwing down…there is waaay more potential.

maybe they will start using more long travel bikes? who knows though

, however, notice the black guys pants don't leave much to the imajination.