Fun "value" of new vs used; is the juice worth the squeeze?

Feb. 12, 2020, 7:42 p.m.

Same wheel sizes?

Feb. 12, 2020, 10:14 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Same wheel sizes?

Yes 29er

Feb. 13, 2020, 12:21 p.m.

I am always dreaming of new bikes but honestly, getting a new bike Is actually a hassle. You have to sell your old bike (Including whatever reconfiguration that requires and potentially a delay), get your new bike built, set up, configured, get all those minor tweaks done (bars, suspension, position, etc) over the course of many rides. Unless the bike Is a really really big upgrade I find this to be tedious; I just want to get on with being comfortable and familiar with my ride. 

I think the best value Is to spend $600 revamping your existing bike (suspension+dropper rebuilds, new tires, dual brake bleeds and new pads, massive technical overhaul and preprep for the season).

Feb. 14, 2020, 7:38 p.m.

Posted by: craw

I am always dreaming of new bikes but honestly, getting a new bike Is actually a hassle. You have to sell your old bike (Including whatever reconfiguration that requires and potentially a delay), get your new bike built, set up, configured, get all those minor tweaks done (bars, suspension, position, etc) over the course of many rides. Unless the bike Is a really really big upgrade I find this to be tedious; I just want to get on with being comfortable and familiar with my ride.

I think the best value Is to spend $600 revamping your existing bike (suspension+dropper rebuilds, new tires, dual brake bleeds and new pads, massive technical overhaul and preprep for the season).

This is true. I very  often said that the only thing better than a new bike, is a bike that’s a few weeks old. You have the controls dialed, saddle’s in a happy place, suspension adjusted well and you’ve adapted to the new handling. And maybe put a few scratches on it too.

Last edited by: andy-eunson on Feb. 14, 2020, 7:39 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 15, 2020, 11:59 a.m.

My last four bikes have been new. That said, I only buy a model year old. I just picked up my new bike a month ago for 28% off retail. After selling my old bike, the gap isn’t too bad. Also, I tend to replace my bikes every two or three years so I have time to absorb the expense.

Feb. 15, 2020, 2:20 p.m.

I buy new because I want exactly what I want, but I keep bikes a good long time like 4-10 years. Not as cheap as buying used, but not expensive on a year by year basis for what I get if I keep them a reasonable amount of time.

Feb. 15, 2020, 2:41 p.m.

Speaking of buying used, someone buy my bikes pls.

Feb. 16, 2020, 6:27 p.m.

My issue with new is that realistically there is too much to replace to get it how I want. I get tired of those posts where they expound modern geo when you find out they've gone from a 100mm 26 hardtail to 160mm 29er, there are simply too many variables in such a dramatic change. 

I bought my 14 Enduro because it was the last of the 26s, I was told they were going 650B the following year. I look at bikes now, and realistically when I change, it will be to something like a Stumpy Evo or the new Enduro (if they do a cheaper one in alloy). But then I'm left in the same position of replacing stuff. The base models tend to have average specs, which is fine, but now I'm limited to what I can move over (pre-boost, 26", shock yoke oddity). 

In a perfect world I'd probably do that custom Stumpy build they offer in the US, with a TTX rear and front. Only I want the Mezzer. I jump on friend's bikes (Canyon, Bergamont etc) and think, these feel nothing like mine, I cannot go fast, so I think I'd be the worst person to demo different bikes. I'd spend the whole ride just playing with the shock etc.

Feb. 17, 2020, 12:59 a.m.

XL bikes with modern geo are hard to come by used. Also, tall guys tend to be hard on bikes (more weight, more leverage). Moreover, around here, most people ask too much for used bikes. That being said, I usually keep my bikes for 5-6 years, so buying new is not so outlandish, and I haven't paid MRSP in years (except for my Bold), even for bikes from the current model year. Buy last year's model, and it's even cheaper.
Going from a '13 Slayer to a '19 Bold Unplugged made a huge difference, but then, any modern enduro bike would have, geo has evolved so much. Did actually look at the Reign, but I love those modern steep STAs. Now looking to replace my '14 Trance. While the '19 Trance 29er and '20 Optic are notably better, the difference is nowhere near as huge as between the Slayer and the Bold. Have been thinking about just having the fork rebuilt (replaced the shock 2 months ago) and replacing some bits and pieces. New wheels, maybe. The STA (and HTA) on that Optic, though...

Feb. 18, 2020, 9:59 a.m.

Posted by: Bagheera

XL bikes with modern geo are hard to come by used. Also, tall guys tend to be hard on bikes (more weight, more leverage). Moreover, around here, most people ask too much for used bikes. That being said, I usually keep my bikes for 5-6 years, so buying new is not so outlandish, and I haven't paid MRSP in years (except for my Bold), even for bikes from the current model year. Buy last year's model, and it's even cheaper.
Going from a '13 Slayer to a '19 Bold Unplugged made a huge difference, but then, any modern enduro bike would have, geo has evolved so much. Did actually look at the Reign, but I love those modern steep STAs. Now looking to replace my '14 Trance. While the '19 Trance 29er and '20 Optic are notably better, the difference is nowhere near as huge as between the Slayer and the Bold. Have been thinking about just having the fork rebuilt (replaced the shock 2 months ago) and replacing some bits and pieces. New wheels, maybe. The STA (and HTA) on that Optic, though...

Ohai

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2721816/

Feb. 18, 2020, 10:57 a.m.

^what you replacing that with?

Feb. 18, 2020, 1:32 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Posted by: Bagheera

Ohai

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2721816/

Thanks, but with "local pickup only", the flight alone would pay for the difference to a new G1. ;) Plus, I'm looking to replace the Trance, not the Bold, which, while I'm sure it's no Geometron, works quite well for me.

Feb. 18, 2020, 1:59 p.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

^what you replacing that with?

I want to go to the G1, get a little more of that seat angle and BB drop. Also, mutators for more geometry experiments.

Last edited by: craw on Feb. 18, 2020, 1:59 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 20, 2020, 9:46 a.m.

sick!