Fromme Wish List

Sept. 12, 2011, 10:07 p.m.

More volunteers doing trail work!

Hey! There's an opportunity for that this Sunday.

Sept. 12, 2011, 10:53 p.m.

Is Pink Starfish finished yet? If not then that being finished would be awesome!

:fruit:

Sept. 13, 2011, 8:23 a.m.

1) Let me run TAP on lower crippler next summer to re-pimp it back to it's old status
2) A proper parking area for mountain biking so we no longer have the concern with residents (that's DNV's problem, but it should still be a priority IMO)
3) Machine built trail top to bottom. I know most people here don't want that, but bobsled is now the busiest trail in north van and a great place to take your girlfriend/kids/noobs for a ride. Plus is the easiest and least maintenance required way to build a trail now.
4) climbing trail as stated by everybody else already

Sept. 13, 2011, 9:15 a.m.

Bobsled cost $200,000 so another one from the 7th is going to be way over half a million. Every trail on Fromme could be pimped with additional trails with that kind of cash.
Fromme needs to be TAP'd or Digger needs to be paid. The current situation where Fromme trails are volunteer based hasn't worked for many years.

:canada:

Sept. 13, 2011, 10:10 a.m.

Bobsled cost $200,000 so another one from the 7th is going to be way over half a million. Every trail on Fromme could be pimped with additional trails with that kind of cash.

I would like to see a life cycle cost benefit assessment of a trail like Bobsled compared (or all Fromme trails) to a conventional recreation center.

It is my understanding that DNV is monitoring traffic on a number of trails on Fromme, including Bobsled. If, as suggested by Jerry, Bobsled cost $200,000 to build (I can feel Monica having an aneurysm just reading that and the poor Mayor’s Inbox filling up with scorn and derision as I type) and requires say $5,000/year to maintain for the next 20 years it should be relatively easy to determine a trail construction/maintenance cost per user.

Then I would like to see how that compares with the construction and operations cost of an average Rec Center per user over a similar 20 year period, when factoring in initial construction costs, capital depreciation, refurbishment costs, salaries, fuel, chemical, fertilizer, herbicide, water consumption, carbon footprint, etc.

Richard Walton has suggested that DNV’s management and development of a multi-use trail network on the North Shore is a more efficient and effective method promoting good health and providing sports recreation to District residents. It would be interesting to see if there are any numbers to support this.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Sept. 13, 2011, 10:29 a.m.

I would like to see a life cycle cost benefit assessment of a trail like Bobsled compared (or all Fromme trails) to a conventional recreation center.

It is my understanding that DNV is monitoring traffic on a number of trails on Fromme, including Bobsled. If, as suggested by Jerry, Bobsled cost $200,000 to build (I can feel Monica having an aneurysm just reading that and the poor Mayor’s Inbox filling up with scorn and derision as I type) and requires say $5,000/year to maintain for the next 20 years it should be relatively easy to determine a trail construction/maintenance cost per user.

Then I would like to see how that compares with the construction and operations cost of an average Rec Center per user over a similar 20 year period, when factoring in initial construction costs, capital depreciation, refurbishment costs, salaries, fuel, chemical, fertilizer, herbicide, water consumption, carbon footprint, etc.

Richard Walton has suggested that DNV’s management and development of a multi-use trail network on the North Shore is a more efficient and effective method promoting good health and providing sports recreation to District residents. It would be interesting to see if there are any numbers to support this.

I only have anecdotal comments from rec managers here in Whistler, but they say the same thing as Richard Walton, that the return on investment for trails is much better than any other type of 'typical' recreation facility…significantly at that.

Sept. 13, 2011, 10:30 a.m.

The XC climb to 6th! Great potential in that trail, just needs the 5% of chaos massaged out.

And / Or

A XC climb like road side attraction following the road all the way to 7th, black climbing route, green - blue decent. great as a connector for trails like upper oil can to get to ladies, without bombing the road. Plus it would be a much needed blue / green trail for beginners on Fromme.

A shelter at 7th and pipeline, similer to the one a the top of half nelson in squamish. I'm sure MEC or a LBS would donate the material cost for a plaque recognition. Nice for those rainy days (happen every once and a while here) getting pads on and such.

Bobsled tree blocking trail.

Expresso is rough!

Kirkford is getting blown out.

Last 15% of Lower Oil Can is a blender.

BTW, great work on Seymour with TAP!

Sept. 13, 2011, 10:51 a.m.

A shelter at 7th and pipeline, similer to the one a the top of half nelson in squamish. I'm sure MEC of a LBS would donate the material cost for a plaque recognition. Nice for those rainy days (happen every once and a while here) getting pads on and such.

I'm sure MEC would be all over that as they funded the kiosk at CBC and sign on Corkscrew.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Sept. 13, 2011, 11:44 a.m.

XCish climb ala Nimby

Fix up on Grannies and Espresso. A-line style trail on Jerry-Rig.

Another vote for these ideas^^^

Sept. 13, 2011, 12:16 p.m.

Oh, and whilst we're being eternally optimistic, could we have all the mosquitos and annoying flying/biting things removed from all three mountains….thanx

Sept. 13, 2011, 12:19 p.m.

Bathrooms at every corner.

(I P Lots)

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 13, 2011, 6:35 p.m.

XCish climb ala Nimby

Another vote for this.

Sept. 13, 2011, 9:46 p.m.

Jeez I don't visit the boards for a couple days and everything's been said. I too think that a Half Nelson-style trail from further up would be great. The existence of such a trail should feed the flow-hunger by many users and the other trails won't be in jeopardy of becoming slot-car tracks as some worry.

I know the topography is the biggest factor here, but a trail (the H.N. style one is a perfect candidate) from the third SB area that traverses towards the second and comes out somewhere not far from Bobsled would be awesome for those times when you don't have the time/energy to go past the 5th SB but would like to go further than Bobsled (I realize there's an option there but.. more).

The work that's been done this year that I've ridden has been great. I'm extremely grateful for the effort. Having the different options that go from full flowiness to tight and tech, and everything in between is great and I hope the variety continues to grow.

Sept. 13, 2011, 9:54 p.m.

Some really great ideas are getting generated here, but please remember that we are talking about smallish projects. Climbing trails and a new DH trail are all way beyond the scope of this wish list.

Try to come up with ideas that a 2-3 man crew could bang off in a week or two. Replacing rotten woodwork, cleaning up braided sections of trail, improving drainage, etc…

Sept. 13, 2011, 10:02 p.m.

I think making the Lower Griffen exit to McNair even more beginner-friendly would be a good use of resources. The work the DNV crew did last year was good, but there are still rooty sections that many of my riding companions have trouble with. As DB said above, there's really nothing after KOTS down there that's as smooth and fun for newbs.

flickr