Fromme today

April 28, 2010, 12:47 p.m.

~snip~
so ya, how bout we all stop judging others here for their choices. you can laugh at me all you want, but if you had taken the time to talk to me you'd find out that we're very similar and love to ride every freaking chance we get.

^^This, well said.
Got some strange looks and comments riding my giant boulder, fully rigid, cantilever brakes and a 71 HA on Crinkum Crankum a few years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH1XGj78Lxs

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

April 28, 2010, 8:11 p.m.

say that to Kris Holm

What's he gonna do,flick his dong out at me?

Add unicycles to the list….flappin circus clowns.

Pastor of Muppets

April 28, 2010, 11:38 p.m.

What's he gonna do,flick his dong out at me?

Add unicycles to the list….flappin circus clowns.

you mean his flatfish, by now.

Never understood that man. Or anyone who would ever ride a unicycle while not juggling in a circus.

May 4, 2010, 11:50 a.m.

I would also like to point out that it's ok to push up…Everybody slams people pushing up, but for instance, like when I had just had my baby, weigh 125 pounds, only have one bike, a 40 plus pound pig of a DH rig, and can only get out MAYBE once a week I don't feel I should be judged for pushing up. Just that I'm out there these days between a baby and working two jobs is a minor miracle. Yes, my fitness sucks right now, but I'm hoping to change that. Not all of us have the luxury of a super light pick of bikes, or get to ride every day. You never know what someone's story is, and really, why would ya care so much what other people are doing anyway?

May 4, 2010, noon

Agreed. My first ride on the shore I had my xc bike and no pads but I really wanted to see what CBC was all about. It took me about an hour longer than it should have and I got a lot of "WTF are you doing here?" looks but I made it to the parking lot in one piece.

Has there been some kind of attitude shift on the trails? I used to ride CBC on a XC hardtail and never heard any comments back then.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

May 4, 2010, 12:11 p.m.

If I was pushing my bike up, and saw someone riding a SS up no problem, I certainly wouldn't be in a position to say he isn't on the right bike LOL .

I was passed pushing up the woodlot one afternoon by a group of attractive, skilled, and cardio-rific ladies riding up. The sight of those four toned asses pedalling up the hill was worth getting passed.

:love:

May 4, 2010, 12:24 p.m.

Has there been some kind of attitude shift on the trails? I used to ride CBC on a XC hardtail and never heard any comments back then.

Because it was a common sight. A lot of people who are riding now, never took a steel hard tail with canti brakes, 100mm stem and bar ends down any of the NS trails. I think that everyone should give it a go, it's a great way to ride familiar trails!

May 4, 2010, 1:02 p.m.

I would also like to point out that it's ok to push up..QUOTE]

I find pushing up Fromme give me more energy to spend on the trail. Since I have started riding trail like Pink Starfish/Upper crippler the extra energy gives me that much more confidence

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

May 4, 2010, 1:16 p.m.

It's interesting to me how specific mountain biking has become since I got into it as a kid.
I was thinking about this thread as I pedaled past a group of kids going up fromme on sunday… some riding hardtails, some pushing fancy 'shore capable' bikes, but all stoked to be getting into this great sport no doubt.
I used to ride fromme and seymour in full lycra on a 20lb ti race hardtail. Never got any rude comments but definitely got some interesting looks in recent years.
I simply have more fun on a bigger bike and don't race xc anymore so I don't ride the hardtail anymore but I think the idea that people not being intimidated or constrained by 'what bike you should ride on which trail or mountain' is awesome.
See you all out there.

May 4, 2010, 2:06 p.m.

I think that everyone should give it a go, it's a great way to ride familiar trails!

Agree, but mostly I think it just sucks to disparage people about equipment or bike choice. (Notwithstanding Canadian Tire bikes that are in danger of falling apart on the trail.)

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

May 4, 2010, 2:54 p.m.

I would also like to point out that it's ok to push up…Everybody slams people pushing up, but for instance, like when I had just had my baby, weigh 125 pounds, only have one bike, a 40 plus pound pig of a DH rig, and can only get out MAYBE once a week I don't feel I should be judged for pushing up. Just that I'm out there these days between a baby and working two jobs is a minor miracle. Yes, my fitness sucks right now, but I'm hoping to change that. Not all of us have the luxury of a super light pick of bikes, or get to ride every day. You never know what someone's story is, and really, why would ya care so much what other people are doing anyway?

Yes, I agree. I used to race pretty good at XC, road, time trials blah blah blah back in the purple Onza baaa ends dayz, but these days if I want to push a DH bike slowly uphill then I bloody well will!

treezz
wow you are a ass

May 4, 2010, 2:58 p.m.

Just about the worst bike to ride on 7th is a DH bike. Way to tight, and come on, fromme isn't all GNAR

Aside from Leppard pretty much all of 7th is pretty darned fun on a DH bike. At least it was back in the day. These days I'd much rather rail it on a 30lb 6 and 6 machine though.

I've notice a lot of folks riding/walking big rigs up Fromme lately. Fullface helmets and full pads and dh bikes - just like back in the day. It's an odd trend. I'd be doing it if I didn't have any other bike but I don't think Fromme would be my mountain of choice very often.

May 4, 2010, 4:09 p.m.

I spent stupid amounts of money building a light 6x6 bike and I still push the bastard up the hill, and as Darthyoga says it leaves more energy to pick yourself up and out of the undergrowth.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

May 4, 2010, 5:40 p.m.

Aside from Leppard pretty much all of 7th is pretty darned fun on a DH bike. At least it was back in the day. These days I'd much rather rail it on a 30lb 6 and 6 machine though.

I've notice a lot of folks riding/walking big rigs up Fromme lately. Fullface helmets and full pads and dh bikes - just like back in the day. It's an odd trend. I'd be doing it if I didn't have any other bike but I don't think Fromme would be my mountain of choice very often.

I know for me it's a matter of riding more than one mountain on a trip on the ferry. We did Fromme then a rip on Cypress.

I spent stupid amounts of money building a light 6x6 bike and I still push the bastard up the hill, and as Darthyoga says it leaves more energy to pick yourself up and out of the undergrowth.

I find if I can pedal it's easier than if I walks. Fromme is pretty easy (well not
"that" hard)even on a 47lb DH bike w/ ff and body armor, and I'm a out of shape
44 y/o ex-smoker.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

May 4, 2010, 7 p.m.

pushing up fromme makes you a bad mother.

i feel sorry for your daughter.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer