Fromme ride or walk?

May 11, 2010, 4:51 p.m.

Have ridden up Seymour a number of times a well, never the road, but up old buck, it's a bit of bitch, but actually pretty quick.

I ride that on my Freeride bike with a 32x32 combo and it is a bitch!

May 12, 2010, 10:56 a.m.

I think it's more like a big nipple at the top of a boob.

Like this. Note: Image not to scale

:lol: I suspected as much. But then isn't that what every hill feels like?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 12, 2010, 11:55 a.m.

:lol: I suspected as much. But then isn't that what every hill feels like?

No, I scraped my face motorboating the trail up the other day.

May 12, 2010, 1:25 p.m.

When was the last time you rode out here? There's been some good work going
on this last winter which makes the ride up well worth it IMO.

I've been out there this year (2010) - can't recall the date exactly but we did ride some newer stuff (newer for me)… I have no idea what any of the trails were called though… I was so bagged at the top it wasn't funny - I was tired from all the riding we had done that weekend… Finishing at Harborview may not have been the best move… We did a lap of the TZoo on Friday afternoon, did two laps at the Tzoo on Saturday Morning - then a hike up to Hindgrinder @ the Dump in the afternoon. Then on Sunday morning we hit Harborview.

You're right though - even after all that riding/hiking it was worth it.

May 12, 2010, 2:31 p.m.

Did you ever stop and wonder why there are pedals that turn cranks that turn the chain that turns the cluster which turns the wheels which makes you go?

On my downhill bike? Runups, for one. I prefer chainless downhill, but it's impractical for getting up to speed. Of course there's also ground to cover between runs, but for the sake of argument we'll assume an ideal world.
I've never "stopped and wondered"; I built my bike. Nothing's on there by accident.

May 13, 2010, 11:12 a.m.

Some people are only in it to the downhill. The climb is a means to get to the riding, and nothing else. For me, the climb is an equal part of the enjoyment (On some hills, the climb is better than the down).
I can understand the appeal of only riding for the downhill on Fromme. The road is incredibly boring and monotonous, and offers little technical challenge. I would enjoy riding that mountain a crap load more if there was a trail the whole way up that was about as technical as Warden's.

Why would you bring your bike you can't pedal on a mountain where you need to pedal? Its kind of like showing up at a bah mitvah with a rack of ribs.
Big bikes are overkill on Fromme…unless you're hitting the Warden Gap? Or Jerry Rig/Air Supply back when they were rideable. GMG maybe?

Pedalling makes you a stronger all round rider. And that's a good thing.

Get on your bike and look the gravel road staight in the eyes and say "I'm gonna make you my bitch!" Then start mashing those pedals fer crist sakes! I mean, let's be honest-I don't think there's an easier climb on the North Shore then climbing Fromme? If we were talking about the climb at the Woodlot in this thread, I could understand some of these comments. When I was young [HTML_REMOVED] dumb, I admit, I brought my DH bike up Fromme a few times, and _pedalled _up to 7th. But then I realized how silly it was-bringing a DH bike that is.

Challenge yourself, rise to the challenge, bathe in the glory when you go beyond your expectations.

I can only lead you to water…

May 13, 2010, 11:21 a.m.

both is for losers….wait for service trucks and hop on the back

May 13, 2010, 12:25 p.m.

Some people are only in it to the downhill. The climb is a means to get to the riding, and nothing else. For me, the climb is an equal part of the enjoyment (On some hills, the climb is better than the down).
I can understand the appeal of only riding for the downhill on Fromme. The road is incredibly boring and monotonous, and offers little technical challenge. I would enjoy riding that mountain a crap load more if there was a trail the whole way up that was about as technical as Warden's.

The road is as you say not technically challenging. I don't however find it boring at all. There is almost always someone ahead of me to chase and catch and that makes it fun. It is physically challenging and some folks relish that. I do. I ride up lower oilcan and peugeot and stuff like that. I think them that give up and instantly drop into their lowest gear and wobble up or walk are missing something from the ride. But hey, it's all good. They are using their own steam to get up there. They are having fun, socializing with friends. Better than driving up and burning gas.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

May 13, 2010, 2:24 p.m.

I rode up Griffin, KOS and Roadside Attraction to get to the first switchback for the first time ever last night and was surprised at how much fun it was, a lung spiting occasion I admit, but fun none the less.

The new work on KOS has made this a lot easier to climb on a 6x6 bike and after the Griffin switchbacks there are only a few sections I could not manage due to lack of fitness or skillz. A competent XC'er could probably clear the bottom of KOS to the first switchback except for one section behind the bogs.

As Steve says, an off road climbing trail on Fromme, would be a nice idea, maybe as an extension from the Dempsey/Breamer to 2nd switchback connector .

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

May 13, 2010, 2:33 p.m.

I rode up and got blown past by Norona. The other two people that passed me were also at least 10 years my senior. Oh well!

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

May 13, 2010, 3:01 p.m.

Why would you bring your bike you can't pedal on a mountain where you need to pedal? Its kind of like showing up at a bah mitvah with a rack of ribs.
Big bikes are overkill on Fromme…unless you're hitting the Warden Gap? Or Jerry Rig/Air Supply back when they were rideable. GMG maybe?

Get on your bike and look the gravel road staight in the eyes and say "I'm gonna make you my bitch!" Then start mashing those pedals fer crist sakes! I mean, let's be honest-I don't think there's an easier climb on the North Shore then climbing Fromme? If we were talking about the climb at the Woodlot in this thread, I could understand some of these comments. When I was young [HTML_REMOVED] dumb, I admit, I brought my DH bike up Fromme a few times, and _pedalled _up to 7th. But then I realized how silly it was-bringing a DH bike that is.

Challenge yourself, rise to the challenge, bathe in the glory when you go beyond your expectations.

First of all, more ribs for me. Second, not everyone can afford a stable of bikes and only have a DH rig. Thirdly, I think even the laziest generally start riding at the bottom and run out of steam.

Personally I try to ride with my big bike and usually push when I am tired for a break, instead of just standing there. Generally it's more push than pedal after the 6th switchback, but whatever, I am on my bike (or beside it).

Lead me to beer and I might listen. ;)

May 13, 2010, 3:03 p.m.

this bike was regularly pedaled up Fromme by an overweight out of shape 40 year old.

No excuses

I didn't set any speed records, and was easily passed by walkers but my only goal was to pedal the whole way.

After a year or so I was able to make it to 7th by Sharon's maximum cut off time ;)

Overkill for Fromme, sure I guess but that was before this whole 6x6 bike thing made sense.

although with all that blah, blah, blah being said…as long as you're outside having fun on your bike, that's all that really matters.

May 13, 2010, 3:34 p.m.

I don't ride the Shore but I do ride the Woodlot regularly, I can ride or pedal up most of the way but I choose to hike as I can hike up faster then most people including myself can ride. Most people ride then hike in 45 minutes to the powerline, I can hike it with my bike in 30 minutes max. I am just wondering how that works into the equation about fitness and such. No doubt riding up helps make you a stronger rider but I can ride Krazy Karpenter then hike up again with most groups as they pass the bottom of the trail. Way more fun doing that then it is trying to high mark.

hol-ee shit but that's a big hole :eek:

May 13, 2010, 3:36 p.m.

although with all that blah, blah, blah being said…as long as you're outside having fun on your bike, that's all that really matters.

/ thread.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 13, 2010, 4:55 p.m.

I don't enjoy riding uphill, and it's not an area I'm interested in.

Sorry dude, I just don't like what you want me to like.

As for why I bring my downhill bike, aside from the fact that I don't have a trailbike, I love riding my downhill bike as much as I can. As long as there's gravity to keep me going I'll always opt for my home sweet home, the trusty big bike. Sure it's out of place on Fromme, but not having a car I make the best of what I've got. If I lived in Saskatchewan I'd be riding it down the road daydreaming I was Sam Hill at Val di Sole.

And no, I'm not doing any of those features. I'm not very good at downhill.

Enduramil, I appreciate the gesture, but I'd rather be understood than tolerated.