Fromme ride or walk?

May 11, 2010, 9:45 a.m.

Granny gear……

My ride buds where androids and would only affirm that i am fat and in want of cardio. I would blow an ovoury trying to keep pace but by first switch they where gone and i would succeed to granny gear accepting my self induced limitations.

While left alone in the dust i would recite self affirmations, (i am a good person, people like me, i love myself) but that only stemmed the tide of self loathing.

They where kind enough to wait 30 seconds after i "reeled them in" before we head down(they have been waiting 30 minutes)

But thats when i go all Kenny Smith to only wait for 30 minutes for them at the bottom while i lay naked on some ladies lawn. Dempsy and M.H.

May 11, 2010, 10 a.m.

Step 1: put beer can holder on handlebar
step 2: stop at rotten ronny's for some cheezburgers
step 3: start pedalling
step 4: profit
step 5: point bike downhill
step 6: double profit.

May 11, 2010, 10:06 a.m.

This thread should be called "I'm outta shape, wanna stay outta shape, am proud to be outta shape".

Christ, you'd think we were talking about climbing Everest.

QFT

However, if it was Everest we were talking about, I s'pose it'd be okay to get off and push the bike a bit - but only on the really steep sections.

May 11, 2010, 10:59 a.m.

Wow this thread is turning nasty! Was never my intention. Nothing against pushing a bike up, just never saw so many that's all. Maybe it's actually a good sign, more people are riding bikes.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

May 11, 2010, 11:28 a.m.

the grade on fromme is a bit frustrating cause it should be steeper,it kinda drags on .keeps ya fit though 1 time per week and you are a titan.do it on anything bigger than 7 inch travel bike you are earning your turns. the top three worst climbs in lower mainland are #1 eagle 4ls,

2 burke tc,#3 woodlot .staying on your bike, attacking,pacing yourself.Getting up in 40 min is a statement.

"Looks like a Canoe with the seats kicked out of it !"

May 11, 2010, 11:49 a.m.

the grade on fromme is a bit frustrating cause it should be steeper,it kinda drags on .keeps ya fit though 1 time per week and you are a titan.do it on anything bigger than 7 inch travel bike you are earning your turns. the top three worst climbs in lower mainland are #1 eagle 4ls,

2 burke tc,#3 woodlot .staying on your bike, attacking,pacing yourself.Getting up in 40 min is a statement.

Woodlot was a bear for sure, still not as bad as the climb/push at Harbourview IMO.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

May 11, 2010, 2:14 p.m.

pedalling up makes you a stronger rider on the descent

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 11, 2010, 2:31 p.m.

pedalling up makes you a stronger rider on the descent

It does, but as I've learned, not everyone enjoys pedalling up. I personally dislike walking up because it's tiring. I do get happy seeing that many people out there enjoying nature.

May 11, 2010, 2:51 p.m.

i hate peddling/hiking up only to find that my legs are too tired to make the descent fun. happened to me the first few times i rode the shore. i could barely control the bike or even jump.

now that i'm not as fat or out of shape, i'm good for one lap…maybe two. but by the time summer rolls around, i'm hoping to be good for 3 laps.

but then again, i can't remember fromme at all. the last time i rode fromme was…..6+ years ago and i believe i did one of the shorter runs and then collapsed when i got back to the car.

might take off from work early this fri or the next, and go try out fromme. anybody want to show a noobs around? i'll bring a 6er of cold ones.

May 11, 2010, 2:53 p.m.

Woodlot was a bear for sure, still not as bad as the climb/push at Harbourview IMO.

Harborview is in a class all it's own - especially that last section when your coming from the backside. You almost need crampons and ice-axes for that grade.

May 11, 2010, 3:01 p.m.

Harborview is in a class all it's own - especially that last section when your coming from the backside. You almost need crampons and ice-axes for that grade.

Someone thought it'd be a good idea to take that route (it's through airflow) last summer
on one of the hottest days of the year. I was calling it the HV death march.

I'd be afraid to put my bike on my back because if I fell, I don't think I'd be doing
too good by the time I stopped.

I take the "easier" way now, still hell, but if you slip you won't go very far. :lol:

When was the last time you rode out here? There's been some good work going
on this last winter which makes the ride up well worth it IMO.

May 11, 2010, 3:23 p.m.

no matter which way to the top its the steepest at the end. its like a giant boob on top of an already steep mountain.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

May 11, 2010, 3:51 p.m.

no matter which way to the top its the steepest at the end. its like a giant boob on top of an already steep mountain.

I think it's more like a big nipple at the top of a boob.

Like this. Note: Image not to scale

May 11, 2010, 3:52 p.m.

I ride up, but I do ride a 6x6 with dual ring, so if I can't ride up, I probably shouldn't be on a bike! And never in full granny gear, it's sooo slow in granny that I feel like an idiot, at that speed, pushers would definitely pass me. Throughout the summer I slowly progress up a few more gears, making it a faster ride by the fall, then on days when I'm a bit tired, I just back it down a couple gears and it seems so easy. I don't ride in the winter (snowboarding and hockey take over my time), so that first spring ride up always feels so hard (no matter how much snowboarding and hockey I've played!!) and I defiantly need a few breaks on the way up.

I do hate the road though, not that it's too difficult, it's just that it's a paved road… usually with blazing sun beating on you… cars whipping by you… hate it. I usually try and park as high as I legally can. Once I hit the gate + forest though I get a little boost of energy… I don't really mind the climb from that point (it is easier), but it's also a way nicer.

Have ridden up Seymour a number of times a well, never the road, but up old buck, it's a bit of bitch, but actually pretty quick.

Just moved away from the Shore, bought a home in Port Moody, so we'll have to see what's in store on this side of the water, have heard it's a pretty good battle!

May 11, 2010, 3:56 p.m.

I don't enjoy riding uphill, and it's not an area I'm interested in. If I could get a ride up Fromme every time I would, and I always take the bus up Burnaby.