Fromme ride or walk?

May 9, 2010, 1:37 p.m.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with this post, if I did I apologize. I was just shocked at the amount of people pushing, that's all.

You didn't offend me. I know I'm fat :lol:

May 9, 2010, 1:43 p.m.

i hikle. and i dont really care WHAT you guys think :P
it's all about enjoying the ride

ps ladies was so awesome today

May 9, 2010, 4:02 p.m.

yes but you'll never get better. Always walking will make you a good walker. Always trying to pedal will eventually allow you to pedal the whole way.

True, but walking up the hill at a brisk pace will get you to the point where you can pedal up the whole hill eventually. Maybe it's because I'm old and don't keep active enough in the winter, but I can't hop on my bike in the spring and pedal all the way up without taking a couple naps :( Then again, if my bike actually had a granny gear maybe I could.

"Dont be fooled Timmy, if the cow had a chance he'd kill you and everyone you love."

May 9, 2010, 5:14 p.m.

yes but you'll never get better. Always walking will make you a good walker. Always trying to pedal will eventually allow you to pedal the whole way. Even back in the days of my 48lb Norco and me pushing 240lbs I'd still put it in granny and slug my way up the hill, getting passed by people pushing.

After all, it's a bike not a wheelbarrow.

That would explain why I was spilling topsoil all over the ground.

May 9, 2010, 5:31 p.m.

Right now I walk. Only because I'm so badly out of shape it's not funny. I'd rather ride though.

May 9, 2010, 5:55 p.m.

Was up today and I do usually see people push their bikes up often, but today was crazy! Over a dozen riders I passed going up that where pushing. Do people not pedal anymore???

Who cares? I don't. I pedalled up to Ladies today and then walked/pedalled to 7th. Some days I'll ride more than that, other days I'll walk most of it.

Bottom line is I still have fun on the way down - and I would have to ask; If you're there to have a fun spin on the way up why ride Fromme? There are much funner and more interesting climbs out there than mountain highway.

May 9, 2010, 9:32 p.m.

The ride from dempsey to the gate almost killed me today.

May 9, 2010, 9:42 p.m.

Who cares? I don't. I pedalled up to Ladies today and then walked/pedalled to 7th. Some days I'll ride more than that, other days I'll walk most of it.

Bottom line is I still have fun on the way down - and I would have to ask; If you're there to have a fun spin on the way up why ride Fromme? There are much funner and more interesting climbs out there than mountain highway.

so here's my honest perspective on the whole walk up thing and karen's post helps illustrate it quite nicely.

our physical abilities are a pure gift. the fact that we are capable of climbing up a steep hill on a bike, running, lifting rocks for trailwork or picking up your child and playing with them at the park for an hour or two is something that should be highly valued. the human machine is designed for movement. to simply throw away your physical abilities like garbage simply because you are too lazy to take care of yourself and instead choose the easy way out really baffles me. i'm not saying we all have to be elite level athletes, but if you think about it climbing up fromm, even from lyn valley road, is not really all that difficult a task.

if people choose to let themselves go then that's their choice and i won't begrudge them for it. but i also certainly don't understand it. the biggest excuse i hear from clients in the gym is i don't have enough time. that answer is complete bullshit. everyone can find a couple hours over the course of the week - even if it's only in 10-15 minute blocks - to do some strenuous physical activity that will make a world of difference in many aspects of their lives.

i guess the better question isn't why people decided to walk up fromme or only shuttle, but why choose to not improove your health and well being?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 9, 2010, 9:59 p.m.

i hikle. and i dont really care WHAT you guys think :P
it's all about enjoying the ride

ps ladies was so awesome today

So..ya ready to do Punisher again?

May 9, 2010, 10:48 p.m.

i guess the better question isn't why people decided to walk up fromme or only shuttle, but why choose to not improove your health and well being?

I disagree in your assumption this is an either-or situation.

I maintain my health/fitness before work and after work. I ride on the weekends. Riding is not fitness for me. Riding is strictly for fun. Fun for me is downhill. Shuttling = more downhill for me.

May 9, 2010, 11:05 p.m.

i'm not saying we all have to be elite level athletes, but if you think about it climbing up fromm, even from lyn valley road, is not really all that difficult a task.

I get what you are saying, but i think it is a bit hypocritcal, to say that pushing a big bike (that some one may not be fit enough to pedal up…yet)from the bottom to the top, at a brisk hike pace would not fall into this catagory?

That is still exersise in my book. Heart rate up, check, elapsed time, at least half an hour. it wont prepare you for the Test of metal, but it is better than not getting out. Maybe i mis-undertsood your point though?

My history: i have only ridden fromme twice, pushed both times to match whom i was riding with. i pedal plenty, all the way to knob gobbler, and the den…but some times i push and shuttle as well.

Good for you Karen. I dont think i would ever request a fellow rider/pusher got out ahead of me to "keep my schedule". I can always make more time to train hard, and find PLENTy of people to climb with that can kick my ass to try and chase…

WTF, Over?

May 9, 2010, 11:28 p.m.

I disagree in your assumption this is an either-or situation.

I maintain my health/fitness before work and after work. I ride on the weekends. Riding is not fitness for me. Riding is strictly for fun. Fun for me is downhill. Shuttling = more downhill for me.

yeah you're right in that it's not necessarily such a cut and dry situation - we do have to take into consideration someone's overall activity level. part of the discrepency too is what i personally consider to be an adequate level of fitness is probably higher than what most people would consider adequate. we do agree that riding is not just about fitness - for me it's primarily fun as well. the bonus is that it's a fun activity that can pay a big reward in the fitness department.

I get what you are saying, but i think it is a bit hypocritcal, to say that pushing a big bike (that some one may not be fit enough to pedal up…yet)from the bottom to the top, at a brisk hike pace would not fall into this catagory?

That is still exersise in my book. Heart rate up, check, elapsed time, at least half an hour. it wont prepare you for the Test of metal, but it is better than not getting out. Maybe i mis-undertsood your point though?

again one's personal description of a decent fitness level can greatly skew whether one thinks pushing a big bike up is good exercise. some activities will only elevate your heart and breathing rates so far and even though that may be above a resting state, it is still not high enough to elicit significant health benefits. if you're getting a work-out pushing your bike up fromme then i'd say while it could be classified as a workout, your fitness level still has a lot of room for improvement. so no, not hypocritical, just different standards.

i am always having to reinforce to people how hard they need to work in order to achieve significant improvements. i also tell people it is entirely up to them how hard they want to push themselves, but the gains they can make are directly limited by how hard they push themselves. limited input means limited results.

if you only ever push up then that's all you can really expect to achieve. if you are personally happy with that i am okay with that, but recognize that you are leaving yourself way behind of where you could be.

personally, i'd consider a decent level of fitness to be being able to pedal from the yellow gate to 7th on an AM bike in 40-45min and 55-60min on a dh bike. good would be 35-40min on an AM bike and 45-50min on a DH bike.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 10, 2010, 12:12 a.m.

again one's personal description of a decent fitness level can greatly skew whether one thinks pushing a big bike up is good exercise. some activities will only elevate your heart and breathing rates so far and even though that may be above a resting state, it is still not high enough to elicit significant health benefits. if you're getting a work-out pushing your bike up fromme then i'd say while it could be classified as a workout, your fitness level still has a lot of room for improvement. so no, not hypocritical, just different standards.

Not disagreeing with that there would be room for improvement and that it may not be enough to show substantial gains in fitness, but it can not be considered to have zero benefits. I think your description leads me to believe that your used to working with athletes that are looking to achieve peak performance and great gains, at a high level of fitness not just an average person getting some undoubtedly beneficial exercise in the push form.

i am always having to reinforce to people how hard they need to work in order to achieve significant improvements. i also tell people it is entirely up to them how hard they want to push themselves, but the gains they can make are directly limited by how hard they push themselves. limited input means limited results.. Generally agree, as long as signs of over training mentally and physically are not ignored.

if you only ever push up then that's all you can really expect to achieve. if you are personally happy with that i am okay with that, but recognize that you are leaving yourself way behind of where you could be. Sure, but every one has to start some where.

personally, i'd consider a decent level of fitness to be being able to pedal from the yellow gate to 7th on an AM bike in 40-45min and 55-60min on a dh bike. good would be 35-40min on an AM bike and 45-50min on a DH bike.
Well, im looking forward to see where i fall into that category. I think i will be about 5 min behind your AM, and maybe more like 10 min behind your DH guidlines.

WTF, Over?

May 10, 2010, 12:18 a.m.

I haven't given up on exercise or taking care of myself; I've been put in a position where I had to modify/adapt my work out regime to accommodate the new found state of my health…and my body has responded successfully. I see a personal trainer who has helped develop an interesting routine fitted to my health issues and to an intensity that I want. It has, unfortunately, become obvious that things like pedaling up Fromme, the Grouse Grind and trail running are something my body reacts poorly to now; these were things I loved to do; it was not easy to give up. I have a road bike now and do 2 to 3 hour runs or I put it up in the trainer when the weather is bad; not quite the same but it is okay. Just another adjustment that had to be made.

I'm volunteering as fast as I can.

May 10, 2010, 12:29 a.m.

Not disagreeing with that there would be room for improvement and that it may not be enough to show substantial gains in fitness, but it can not be considered to have zero benefits. I think your description leads me to believe that your used to working with athletes that are looking to achieve peak performance and great gains, at a high level of fitness not just an average person getting some undoubtedly beneficial exercise in the push form.

no, actually i spend more time with joe/jane average. one of the greatest things about physical fitness is that your results are a direct measure of the amount of effort you put into your training/exercise/activity. exercise is 80% mental and only 20% physical and one's attitude and mental fortitude is what hold people back or allows them to excel.

i'm not saying there are no benefits from pushing, just that the benefits are limited and you will only get so far if you only ever push up. if you're happy with that then great cause it sure as hell beats growing roots into the couch.

Ellen Langer