Fromme ride or walk?

May 8, 2010, 10:47 p.m.

Gravity is a bitch when you're fat like me with a single ring and DH oriented bike. Much more fun to point it down.

May 8, 2010, 11:23 p.m.

I mostly pedaled and up and walked bits last time a rode up there. I can pedal all the way up, but a combination of laziness and not doing anything for a health over the winter has not promoted my fitness. On the other hand I pedaled my Demo 7 with one 36T ring up all of lanst year so I really just need to get out there a few more times.

:england:

May 9, 2010, 6:27 a.m.

Actually, if you can walk up at a steady and brisk pace it's possible to keep up with and sometimes pass people grinding up in their granny gear. Then there are the people who blast up but take a 5 minute break at every switchback, walking up is just as fast.

"Dont be fooled Timmy, if the cow had a chance he'd kill you and everyone you love."

May 9, 2010, 6:39 a.m.

Actually, if you can walk up at a steady and brisk pace it's possible to keep up with and sometimes pass people grinding up in their granny gear. Then there are the people who blast up but take a 5 minute break at every switchback, walking up is just as fast.

yes but you'll never get better. Always walking will make you a good walker. Always trying to pedal will eventually allow you to pedal the whole way. Even back in the days of my 48lb Norco and me pushing 240lbs I'd still put it in granny and slug my way up the hill, getting passed by people pushing.

After all, it's a bike not a wheelbarrow.

May 9, 2010, 8:27 a.m.

Fromme is about the easiest climb around. Even without a granny.

May 9, 2010, 8:53 a.m.

I ride up [slowly]. I need to get back into shape-stupid exams meant no riding Fromme for a long time! The part I find the biggest bitch is the paved road from coleman to the first gate.

May 9, 2010, 9:33 a.m.

Only if they're pedaling really slow and you're walking really fast. Last time we were
up there, the fast pedaling people had to wait for the slow pedal peeps for over
5 minutes and the slow pedal peeps (me) had to wait for the walkers for over
5 minutes.

Fromme is about the easiest climb around. Even without a granny.

Exactly, I don't know one ride up that is easier in BC or Kauai. It's a friggin road FFS.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

May 9, 2010, 9:39 a.m.

There may be other issues going on as to why some people walk up….

I was one of the walkers yesterday. Two knee surgeries; both knees in braces; also I have a chronic illness (an auto immune disorder) that wreaks havoc on my health. The 24 to 48 hours after my weekly injection are particularly exhausting but I push through that because I know I will feel better once I get moving. I see people going by me….I kind of guess some of them are silently judging/criticizing me but…hey…they don't know as I look healthy and it is assumed I'm just lazy. And I am not lazy. My friends are very kind enough to walk with me to keep me company otherwise I generally start 30 to 45 minutes before the appointed meet time as to not slow the group down.

I take everyday on my bike as a gift.

Karen.

I'm volunteering as fast as I can.

May 9, 2010, 10:36 a.m.

^ I think your situation is probable not the norm. But, in the end it is about getting
on your bike and having fun.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

May 9, 2010, 11:02 a.m.

I walk up to the gate, pedal from there. It's a pretty nice and shallow climb once you get off the pavement. (mid travel single ring)

Bicycles!

May 9, 2010, 11:17 a.m.

If I'm by myself, I'll pedal the whole way. But, when I'm with friends I usually end up walking and yapping most of the way.

May 9, 2010, 11:26 a.m.

I get to the top by helicopter.

May 9, 2010, 12:25 p.m.

I walk up to the gate, pedal from there. It's a pretty nice and shallow climb once you get off the pavement. (mid travel single ring)

I should probably do this. I always try to pedal from Coleman, only to burn out and get discouraged and walk most of the rest. :lol:

May 9, 2010, 1:06 p.m.

I have to walk. It gets hard to pedal once you pass Van Tan.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

May 9, 2010, 1:20 p.m.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with this post, if I did I apologize. I was just shocked at the amount of people pushing, that's all.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/