Fromme parking open house

May 21, 2014, 1 p.m.

Read through the presentation materials…not sure what else they're supposed to do, seems relatively appropriate given the various issues surrounding the area…from my out of town perspective, and as someone who rides there 6-10 times per year

Agreed. I couldn't attend the open house last night but it looks like a reasonably well thought out plan to me.

Despite being one of the folks who always starts/finishes on Braemar, the demand is clearly greater around Mtn Hwy. And I just don't think you're going to make the residents happy by just changing the parking restrictions around that area (e.g. pushing the RPO further down, spreading legal parking around the whole area including the current RPO). The parking lot option seems like the best option to appeasing residents while providing good recreational access.

May 21, 2014, 1:06 p.m.

The parking lot option seems like the best option to appeasing residents while providing good recreational access.

I agree (from a non-Fromme expert). I know it's been joked about, but the only thing that seems better is a gondola that would leave from the base.. Euro-style.

May 21, 2014, 1:08 p.m.

Just to save us another half dozen 'just ride up from the mall' comments, given that we've had some form of this thread for a good 5-10 years now. The 'just ride up' thing isn't exactly feasible for families wanting to take their kids up Fromme.

there's a theme running in another couple of threads here along the lines of if you can't ride it then find another solution. it seems somewhat appropriate here too.

cue all the elitist/entitled/arrogant remarks

dirty deeds has it bang on with all his comments.

i don't ride fromme all that often and it's usually been earlier morning on the weekends so when i'm leaving it's around the time that the hordes are stageing themselves for the attack on the mountain. even as a rider, i look at the scene with dismay as to my eye it seems like there are an inordinate number of people that simply do not care about their behaviour and how it impacts everyone else in the area - especially the residents.

parking under the power lines.
climbing trails up from there.
parking limited to rpo only for upper lynn.
limited parking lower down, distributed throughout the area.

all one has to do is sit there on a busy afternoon for a while and watch what happens to realize that a parking lot at the top of mtn hwy and the resultant increase in traffic thru that narrow corridor will be a shit show.

if you can't manage the climb up then there are many other areas to ride with easier access and easier trails.

another theme running in a few threads here is things can't be done the same way they were when this sport/activity/hobby got started - same goes for parking and access now that our numbers are much higher.

full circle. we want the trails and we're getting them so maybe as a community we should be willing to accept that we can't have everything else we want too.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 21, 2014, 1:25 p.m.

Channeling trucks up and down there will be a disaster. It is simply not viable.

Even though I’m personally impacted more under the current scheme; I’d prefer they leave it as is.

The project isn't all that big, and I wouldn't think it would take all that long. Haulage might take what, two periods of 2 weeks? There will, however be trucks hauling material in and out of the site. Just like every other construction project. I am POSITIVE that a traffic management plan will be part of the requirements of the project specs. And in comparison to any project that actually tears up the road (underground utilities, resurfacing) this will be a piece of cake. City buses managed to navigate up and down the road without issue, right?

A few flag hags and you're all set.

Pedaling up the road is certainly going to require a little more caution, to be sure.

Once its built, it's going to be great.

May 21, 2014, 1:31 p.m.

The project isn't all that big, and I wouldn't think it would take all that long. Haulage might take what, two periods of 2 weeks? There will, however be trucks hauling material in and out of the site. Just like every other construction project. I am POSITIVE that a traffic management plan will be part of the requirements of the project specs. And in comparison to any project that actually tears up the road (underground utilities, resurfacing) this will be a piece of cake. City buses managed to navigate up and down the road without issue, right?

A few flag hags and you're all set.

Pedaling up the road is certainly going to require a little more caution, to be sure.

Once its built, it's going to be great.

I'm referring to the riders pickup trucks once the lot is finished.

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol:

May 21, 2014, 1:40 p.m.

I feel sorry for the Mountain Hwy residents between McNair and the gates if the District goes ahead with this ‘solution’. That section of road is steep, narrow, and has no sidewalk on either side. Blind driveways feed into it. Residents walking their dogs or just out for a stroll have to use the road due to the lack of sidewalks. Plus, for whatever reason, many of the residents up there opt to street park making it an even tighter squeeze.

It's pretty much like any resident of kits or any area near public recreation have to deal with. Except in kits the roads are narrower and have wall to wall cars either side.

May 21, 2014, 1:51 p.m.

Since most of the trail usage is in the weekday evenings and weekends, why is the school car park not a viable option?

May 21, 2014, 1:54 p.m.

It's pretty much like any resident of kits or any area near public recreation have to deal with. Except in kits the roads are narrower and have wall to wall cars either side.

and there is also rpo parking in kits. the bigger issue on fromme is that all the traffic (for the lot) will be on one narrow section of road at the top of the hill.

it's not quite nearly the same as in kits or other rec areas as they are often designed with the rec access in mind. the neighbourhood at the top of fromm was not designed with the intent of being a region wide (or even local)recreation destination.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 21, 2014, 1:55 p.m.

Since most of the trail usage is in the weekday evenings and weekends, why is the school car park not a viable option?

it's not nearly big enough to accommodate all the vehicles, unless of course you're referring to the high school near the bottom.

Ellen Langer

May 21, 2014, 2:01 p.m.

this is an awesome option. Plus you ride through the back of the school yard, across the road and into an wonderful uphill series of trails (thx NSMBA [HTML_REMOVED] RMB) that is easily cleanable and pops you out at the 1st s/b.

I don't know if school districts allow weekend recreational parking; but if they do allow it and the District could negotiate that = no brainer.

"Sad, but true. Oh, so true! (I couldn't have said it better myself). The newest craze in mountain biking (a sport that keeps reinventing itself -out of boredom?- is called "Slopestyle" -doing flips on mountain bikes." -Monica Craver- :lol:

May 21, 2014, 2:04 p.m.

it's not nearly big enough to accommodate all the vehicles, unless of course you're referring to the high school near the bottom.

I don't know. Counting on street in front of Upper Lynn, I bet you'd get 30 - 40 spots. It'd sure take a lot of the pressure off.

May 21, 2014, 2:27 p.m.

My own personal selfish needs would like to see any parking put in off Breamer at the low point under the tower lines.

I live down below there and increased trail infrastructure in that zone would make me happy.

May 21, 2014, 2:57 p.m.

My own personal selfish needs would like to see any parking put in off Breamer at the low point under the tower lines.

I live down below there and increased trail infrastructure in that zone would make me happy.

I'd like that too. Maybe if there was a split in the parking between braemar and up on Fromme like they want. I just think it should be more dispersed. The mock ups yesterday made their plans look like a pretty big clearcut to me.

The parallel trail would help with dog and rider safety issues though as more cars pass through there.

As for the unloading/car or truck door issue.. I feel a little bitter about that one. Some people in the area will be fine with you just unloading to get your stuff out. But I've been called a couple of nasty names just getting in and out of my vehicle and grabbing something from the backseat. I think a lot of hackles are up about that issue, including mine I guess.

May 21, 2014, 2:57 p.m.

see pg 11

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 21, 2014, 3:04 p.m.

this is an awesome option. Plus you ride through the back of the school yard, across the road and into an wonderful uphill series of trails (thx NSMBA [HTML_REMOVED] RMB) that is easily cleanable and pops you out at the 1st s/b.

you can park across the street at the top of Nottingham and go that way. Or even on Coleman if you're gonna be done in 2 hours or thereabouts.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40