Fromme parking open house

May 20, 2014, 11:43 a.m.

Seriously, just ride from the mall. HTFU and pedal your damn bike. I know I'll get some heat from this but people need to realize that some things should be hard and not always given to you on a silver platter. The shore is becoming way to tame.

How about a shuttle service from the mall parking lot to the mall, and then lift access from the mall up MTN hwy, and then another shuttle service from the lift to the trailhead? Why is nobody pushing this idea? What is NVD afraid of?

May 20, 2014, 12:27 p.m.

While I find it hard to conceive of where they'll find the room at the water towers for parking, as long as parking restrictions on the streets remain as-is or get lifted/relaxed then this can only be an improvement to the supply of parking. So I don't think it will be productive to complain about the proposal if this is the case.

If street parking restrictions are to be stepped up/expanded then I think we DO have a problem as there's no way the total parking supply would be adequate due to the limited space near the towers.

I don't think they will be "lifted/relaxed" even with a parking lot in place. The residents don't really want people clogging up parking on the streets in front of their houses. I think with the new Parking Lot, you might see parking restrictions expanded, because there is an alternative place to park (the new Parking Lot).

In my mind, they don't have any idea what a monster they are creating with this "solution". On busy days/weekends, it will make things worse with a parking lot, as Bryce says, there will be people driving up and down the road looking for a space, when there is not enough to be had, they are going to cut a big chunk of forest and flatten it "pave paradise and put up a parking lot!"

I think they can restrict parking lower down and force people to ride a bit further. There is lots of parking that doesn't interfere with residents in and around Fromme, to name a few, Kilmer Park, Upper Lynn Elementary, Dempsey Rd west, Braemar Rd, if you are willing to pedal a little farther, Lynn Valley Field, Argyle Secondary, LV Mall, LV Center, plus many more places.

That's my 2 cents worth.

May 20, 2014, 12:39 p.m.

Just to save us another half dozen 'just ride up from the mall' comments, given that we've had some form of this thread for a good 5-10 years now. The 'just ride up' thing isn't exactly feasible for families wanting to take their kids up Fromme.

May 20, 2014, 12:58 p.m.

Just to save us another half dozen 'just ride up from the mall' comments, given that we've had some form of this thread for a good 5-10 years now.

Actually, it has been more than 10 years. The first DNV Alpine Study meeting was April 10 years ago, and the parking problem is one of the issues that triggered the Alpine study.

May 20, 2014, 1:07 p.m.

The 'just ride up' thing isn't exactly feasible for families wanting to take their kids up Fromme.

If your kids prefer to ride on sunny weekend days when the lot will likely be full, you're probably gonna be dropping them off and heading down to find parking, just like now with the drop off zone. And when they're big enough to pedal (a couple years? they grow up fast), they'll be pedaling with traffic and breathing exhaust and dust.

And don't even think about getting a dog.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 20, 2014, 1:21 p.m.

What happened to the plan from 2008 to build an uphill trail from the Braemer staging area? I think it was supposed to link up with the road just about where the Vantan club is.

Having a second staging area would spread the crowds out and ease the pressure on the neighbourhood around Mtn hwy. Also, with everyone seemingly having moved on from big freeride/DH bikes to all mountain, we could probably use more good climbing trails.

May 20, 2014, 1:41 p.m.

What happened to the plan from 2008 to build an uphill trail from the Braemer staging area? I think it was supposed to link up with the road just about where the Vantan club is.

I don't know the details, but apparently that is still planned. I 'hear' that the climbing trail with go up towards 6th, not Vantan.

Again, this is just what I have heard, I'm sure someone with more inside knowledge can pipe in here.

May 20, 2014, 3:22 p.m.

If your kids prefer to ride on sunny weekend days when the lot will likely be full, you're probably gonna be dropping them off and heading down to find parking, just like now with the drop off zone. And when they're big enough to pedal (a couple years? they grow up fast), they'll be pedaling with traffic and breathing exhaust and dust.

And don't even think about getting a dog.

This.

In reading the article, it pretty much says they are going to show us what they are going to do, so the money must be allocated and the design confirmed. From the article "Construction of the parking lot is scheduled to begin this summer."

May 20, 2014, 3:46 p.m.

I 'hear' that the climbing trail with go up towards 6th, not Vantan.

Not to change the topic of the thread, but I always thought it would be sweet to have a climbing trail connector from BP up to the 2nd switchback (near Vantan) to make it easier to do multiple laps. Not sure if this is something that has already been considered, or if it is even possible with Vantan in the way.

May 20, 2014, 4:11 p.m.

Our suggestion was dispersed parking throughout the residential area like in the west end, or if they must have a parking lot a one way road with parking off it from the upper water tower exiting to the lower water tower which would help mitigate inevitable conflicts with the solution they are pushing for.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

May 20, 2014, 4:13 p.m.

The real question is,how much are they gonna charge for parking?

Pastor of Muppets

May 20, 2014, 9:43 p.m.

This thread needs more direct input from Monica.

Quote from @mecraver

Why is #NVanDistrict inviting more Wreakreation for Wheeled Locusts on Mt.Fromme? nsnews.com/news/fromme-pa NO prkg lot! pic.twitter.com/rqZNyaBRHh

May 21, 2014, 7:06 a.m.

Residents, the group that was present at least, we incredibly discontent with the mountain bikers using their street front parking. From the stories that were being shared, it seemed that those cyclists were for the most part terrorizing the neighbourhood, walking around naked and pissing in the bushes, no wonder they have a negative view of the group as a whole. I find that some of us don't realize or ignore that the residents care about what's going on outside their front door, and at times basic civility takes a back seat to entitlement when it comes to this matter. On a purely self centered level, after hearing some of the stories, I'm glad I don't live on a street near a heavily used recreation area (although we do get hoards of runners a couple of times a week, those guys are loud). I see that the parking solution being proposed at the top or Mountain Highway will appease some NIMBY concerns, however it will be at the cost of increased traffic and some fairly heavy near term construction disruptions. Compounded by the continued pressure of peak hour parking still bring pushed down into the neighbourhood.

At least the DNV is being proactive, as the sport's popularity continues to increase, the need for a long term solution will only become more evident.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

May 21, 2014, 7:25 a.m.

The nakedness and peeing in bushes were a few isolated instances years ago,no?

Pastor of Muppets

May 21, 2014, 7:49 a.m.

The nakedness and peeing in bushes were a few isolated instances years ago,no?

No. It's gotten worse and worse. I see it all the time from mountain bikers when riding up. If I were a resident I'd be annoyed too

Lee Lau