Fromme Parking Lot

Aug. 20, 2015, 11:58 a.m.

They have one at Burnaby Mountain (at the bike skills parking lot on the north side). It's a good idea, wash the mud off then air dry on the drive home. Good for those of us that have to store the bikes inside our homes.

Absolutely. I used to use the one at the Petro Can but they stopped leaving that out. Luckily the Black Bear knows the business value of a good thing and installed a hose so that's what I've been using.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Aug. 24, 2015, 12:01 p.m.

I would imagine giving the car washing ban / water advisories, installing a hose would create a bit of public outcry.

Aug. 24, 2015, 12:45 p.m.

I'm trying to be a good boy on here so I'll refrain from throwing keyboard warrior insults but fucking hell….. Yeah, stuff 'em a bingo hall and off 'our' trails :facepalm:

Is that the latest thing Norona is trying to spam on us?

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 24, 2015, 12:49 p.m.

^^^ I believe that's someone with a spine injury ripping on Bobsled: http://nsmb.com/hey-neighbour-elladee-brown-ft-tara-llanes/

I used the parking lot for the first time last night and was riding with a newbie friend so we just did multiple laps of Bobsled/Floppy. It's really convenient for such an affair and was well used around 6pm.

Aug. 24, 2015, 2:40 p.m.

Took the GF for a ride Sunday and the lot was rammed, no spaces available. There appears to be a lot of hikers and trails runners now in the area.

Also the last 2 times I have been at Fromme, there has been ambulances at the bottom of Bobsled, paved trails are working people!

Aug. 24, 2015, 3:47 p.m.

I saw a girl with a very "sturdy" looking rusted out Raleigh bike from 1987 with a chromed pannier on it pedalling up from the parking lot Saturday morning.

Aug. 24, 2015, 4:30 p.m.

Took the GF for a ride Sunday and the lot was rammed, no spaces available. There appears to be a lot of hikers and trails runners now in the area.

Also the last 2 times I have been at Fromme, there has been ambulances at the bottom of Bobsled, paved trails are working people!

My guess is that there will be an initial rush of hikers in the area, they they will realize that
- there are no views to be had
- area is dominated by mtb'ers
- the trails kinda' suck to hike on.
- the 'giant cedar' is great and all that, but, do it once and what's next ?
- no really nice place to stop and have a picnic, well, maybe those friendly people at the 2nd will host you

Don't think Fromme will make it on to any online list of 'best secret hiking on the North Shore' or anything like that. Quarry Rock it will not become.

Trail runners, tougher call. Would not surprise me if it was popular for them, running up the trails then down mtn hwy seems to be part of their training.

Aug. 24, 2015, 5:38 p.m.

My guess is that there will be an initial rush of hikers in the area, they they will realize that
- there are no views to be had
- area is dominated by mtb'ers
- the trails kinda' suck to hike on.
- the 'giant cedar' is great and all that, but, do it once and what's next ?
- no really nice place to stop and have a picnic, well, maybe those friendly people at the 2nd will host you

Don't think Fromme will make it on to any online list of 'best secret hiking on the North Shore' or anything like that. Quarry Rock it will not become.

Trail runners, tougher call. Would not surprise me if it was popular for them, running up the trails then down mtn hwy seems to be part of their training.

I unfortunately don't see this happening. Convenient access is going to bring the masses, trust me. Look at Lynn Headwaters. The hiking (unless you go far) is nothing to get excited about, but it brings the people because it is convenient. Simple. I don't think the trails are an issue at all, in that they really are going to be there for any one reason. But a nice place to park, tons of options…..I have said before, this is just the beginning.

Aug. 24, 2015, 8:59 p.m.

I saw a few hikers there over the last few days, so I asked them what was up. Apparently, the draw is a 600 year old cedar [HTML_REMOVED] Kennedy Falls on the Cedar Trail.
So…I agree that the novelty will wear off for trail runners (I can't say I have seen 'em using the lot nearly as much as hikers….[HTML_REMOVED] certainly not as much as bikers), but the hikers seemed to have found something…but not much.
Btw…last Saturday, the lot was full….of trucks [HTML_REMOVED] cars with racks (pick-ups far outnumbered anything). I counted 7 cars without such accessories. Can't confirm whether or not they were hikers.
Has anyone not noticed the number of non-riders that would park on Mtn Hwy prior to the parking lot opening? Just sayin'….

So I am curious about the riders using the lot…I could only fathom using it if I am doing laps of Bobsled/Floppy, or doing a 7th-Crinkum-Kirkford lap. Other than that, I end up on Dempsey [HTML_REMOVED] have to ride back uphill anyway.

Aug. 24, 2015, 9:17 p.m.

So I am curious about the riders using the lot…I could only fathom using it if I am doing laps of Bobsled/Floppy, or doing a 7th-Crinkum-Kirkford lap. Other than that, I end up on Dempsey [HTML_REMOVED] have to ride back uphill anyway.

Haven't used it yet. Same reason - often end up on Dempsey, plus many of my Fromme rides are after work so I don't want to risk getting locked in if I miss the 8pm cutoff.

Aug. 24, 2015, 9:53 p.m.

I used it the other day, first time riding there in a couple years and don't really know my way around so it seems like the most straight forward place to go.

Aug. 25, 2015, 7:25 a.m.

I used it the other day, first time riding there in a couple years and don't really know my way around so it seems like the most straight forward place to go.

This for me as well.

Aug. 25, 2015, 1:49 p.m.

I saw a few hikers there over the last few days, so I asked them what was up. Apparently, the draw is a 600 year old cedar [HTML_REMOVED] Kennedy Falls on the Cedar Trail.

Interesting point. Coming out of Kirkford passed a family hiking on Cedar trail, unsure if I have ever seen anyone on it before.

I still do not think that it will become a super popular spot for hiking. Where I may be wrong is that it could become popular by default. As someone mentioned, Lynn Headwaters gets super packed, maybe people will hike Fromme because it is another option?

Maybe I'm just projecting my hope that it does not become too popular onto the situation.

Aug. 25, 2015, 5:28 p.m.

Interesting point. Coming out of Kirkford passed a family hiking on Cedar trail, unsure if I have ever seen anyone on it before.

I still do not think that it will become a super popular spot for hiking. Where I may be wrong is that it could become popular by default. As someone mentioned, Lynn Headwaters gets super packed, maybe people will hike Fromme because it is another option?

Maybe I'm just projecting my hope that it does not become too popular onto the situation.

I'm not saying it won't get busy as access is definitely easier, but its a very different beast from hiking in the headwaters. A number of trails in the headwaters are wide, flat and pretty easy for families / less experienced walkers. There is also the attraction of being able to dip in the river. I am not aware of anything on Fromme that would fit that bill.

Aug. 25, 2015, 6:02 p.m.

I've used it once, but since opening I have noticed a significant increase of hikers on the trail.
All are respectful and move aside. No issues but lots more. A whole family came out of the top of 7th as I arrived this morning…..

I like the lot but as many of you have pointed out, it's a bitch if you use the lower trails to finish so I will alternate between the lot and my "special" parking spot a couple miles from the gate.