Fromme Parking Lot

Aug. 13, 2015, 6:34 p.m.

This is no word of a lie: having ridden as long as I have there are certain things that I thought were a given I would never see. Ever. Last year I was going up Mtn. Hwy and upon reaching Bobsled I saw a guy going down with, get this, a KID TRAILER attached to his bike with his kid in the trailer. You know, the type that attaches to the rear axle….. I have stopped making any such claims of "I thought I would never" since this clearly shows how groomed things are getting.

bah, that's nothing. back in the shuttle whore days one of the guys took his kid down ned's - on a trail a bike. now mind you it was a foes mono dh so that was like riding a bike with 9" travel fork. only problem was the kid kept losing his grip on the handlebars and pedal. good thing there was a roll of duct tape handy - hands and feet securely fashioned after that!

I wonder how long it will be before I see…….:hurt: It's coming. And with the parking lot, you wait until the handicap parking is enacted, and thus mandates a paved section, and thus, something for the said wheelchair to be able to go down. Give it time.

you can't seriously think this is a bad thing? i think it would be great to see a local wheel-chair accessible type trail on the shore. i would not want to see an existing trail get paved over, but putting in a trail like that would be awesome. from a PR perspective, that would be a huge boon to the nsmba and if they are smart it's something they should get behind and make happen.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 13, 2015, 6:36 p.m.

^Wonder how those $810 Celine shoes grip wet flats? Can you mount cleats on them? :fruit:

the best priced item in that pic is the wang bag.

and i mean come on, what discerning mtb'er doesn't want a wang bag?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 13, 2015, 6:45 p.m.

This is no word of a lie: having ridden as long as I have there are certain things that I thought were a given I would never see. Ever. Last year I was going up Mtn. Hwy and upon reaching Bobsled I saw a guy going down with, get this, a KID TRAILER attached to his bike with his kid in the trailer. You know, the type that attaches to the rear axle….. I have stopped making any such claims of "I thought I would never" since this clearly shows how groomed things are getting. I wonder how long it will be before I see…….:hurt: It's coming. And with the parking lot, you wait until the handicap parking is enacted, and thus mandates a paved section, and thus, something for the said wheelchair to be able to go down. Give it time.

I believe Mtn Highway used to be a paved toll road. Maybe Grouse and the DNV can re-pave it, and charge a toll to ride the road up. We can strap-on roadie wheels and tires to our 29er E-bike scooter chairs for the way up and carry MTB wheels on our Wang bag to swap out at the top for the downs!

Anybody tried Bobsled in a shopping cart yet?

Aug. 13, 2015, 6:50 p.m.

Anybody tried Bobsled in a shopping cart yet?

carts of darkness 2.0 - the legend of Bob's sled.

Ellen Langer

Aug. 13, 2015, 7:08 p.m.

And with the parking lot, you wait until the handicap parking is enacted, and thus mandates a paved section, and thus, something for the said wheelchair to be able to go down. Give it time.

I'm trying to be a good boy on here so I'll refrain from throwing keyboard warrior insults but fucking hell….. Yeah, stuff 'em a bingo hall and off 'our' trails :facepalm:

treezz
wow you are a ass

Aug. 13, 2015, 8:20 p.m.

"Jogging the Grouse Grind"?!?

Btw….I remember years ago seeing a couple on a fully rigid Burley tandem riding up the BP past Old Buck [HTML_REMOVED] then down Ned's! They were bad-ass!

Back to the subject of the OP….tonight I rode up Griffen to KOS [HTML_REMOVED] popped out at the washrooms…must have been 30 people there waiting to star a group ride. Looks like the parking lot is making for a logical meet up point for organized rides.

Aug. 13, 2015, 9:32 p.m.

…must have been 30 people there waiting to star a group ride…

Thursday night NSRide maybe?

Aug. 13, 2015, 10:39 p.m.

Now, instead of diehards trekking up with bikes hoisted on their shoulders…

Yes, it's such a relief that the parking lot has spared us the need to hoist our bikes on our shoulders for the epic trek up the gnarly terrain of the last few blocks of Mountain Highway.

Aug. 14, 2015, 7:14 a.m.

^Wonder how those $810 Celine shoes grip wet flats? Can you mount cleats on them? :fruit:

Well at least you will look good at Lions Gate Hospital getting your jaw wired shut.
Nurse: "Oh my god that person is a mess from mountainbiking, broken jaw, fractured collar bone, what a shame." Doctor: Yeah its a shame but wow look at those shoes."

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Aug. 14, 2015, 12:37 p.m.

Btw….I remember years ago seeing a couple on a fully rigid Burley tandem riding up the BP past Old Buck [HTML_REMOVED] then down Ned's! They were bad-ass!

That was probably Andre and Trudel. I still see them bombing around on that thing. He and the Grey brothers trail-blazed Dreamweaver.

Aug. 14, 2015, 12:56 p.m.

My time has finally come.

HOW IS THIS NOT FRONT PAGE MATERIAL??????!!!!?!?!?!

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 14, 2015, 7:13 p.m.

That was probably Andre and Trudel. I still see them bombing around on that thing. He and the Grey brothers trail-blazed Dreamweaver.

If so, it was a red Burley [HTML_REMOVED] they were good people (a guy and a gal….seem to remember he was wearing wire frame glasses at the time….circa '96?)….I was feeling pretty high on myself because I was doing the triple that day on my Judy equipped hardtail. Then I saw them on that Burley…as they say, "one man's ceiling is another man ([HTML_REMOVED] woman's) floor".

Aug. 19, 2015, 8:42 p.m.

"There have been instances of vehicles travelling at high speed on the gravel road. Please keep your speed down and adhere to the 20km per hour speed limit."

20kph people, it says 20kph max.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Aug. 19, 2015, 9:13 p.m.

bike wash station…? or was that part a joke?

Aug. 20, 2015, 11:51 a.m.

bike wash station…? or was that part a joke?

They have one at Burnaby Mountain (at the bike skills parking lot on the north side). It's a good idea, wash the mud off then air dry on the drive home. Good for those of us that have to store the bikes inside our homes.