Fromme Parking Lot

Aug. 3, 2015, 1:35 p.m.

So thought I'd check out the new parking lot this morning. Drove up about 8;15am. Gate was closed so I rolled back down to my regular spot when I bring the truck. Two district of NV guys roll up and let me know they're opening the gate. Fresh tracks on the parking lot. Haha! The parking lot is nice. Signage says that the gate is open from 9am to 8pm. I thought I'd fire up this thread to provoke some thought. I have a feeling that we might have some growing pains here soon. A few things I'm pondering ..

1. By the time I got back to my truck the lot was almost full. 10:30am
2. Probably half the cars were hikers
3. Heavy traffic up and down that stretch of gravel road
4. Could be time to get serious about signage and designating some MTBK specific one direction trails before there are problems
5. I was surprised that the entrance to Natural High wasn't re open. Maybe it will? Not sure. Easy fix, but it looks like they ran drainage straight at the entrance. Again, easy fix. Always loved that little trail.
6. I've never seen so many hikers on Fromme. I mean A LOT.

I know we are very PC. I mean we're Canadian. It's what we do. I think some trail designation could go a long way. Hopefully really soon. I've had quite a few interesting rides over the last month where I've almost ran over people. One trail runner dude trying to scale expresso smooth as I was going down. That was crazy. Two other times trail hiking groups trucking up expresso. I guess that was the last time I rode it! Haha! Penzoil and Dempsey have commercial dog walkers almost every time I go down them . I'm assuming they will move over to the parking lot now and start using those trails. The last one was a group of four trail runners running up all that beautiful work Old Man Pete put in. Too many blind corners I think to have people running up there.
Not sure what will happen here I don't have all the answers. Thinking it is time to get a conversation going soon though.

Aug. 3, 2015, 2:02 p.m.

yep pretty glad they spent all that money on a parking lot that wasn't needed. great job. A+++

Aug. 3, 2015, 2:31 p.m.

yep pretty glad they spent all that money on a parking lot that wasn't needed. great job. A+++

Couldn't agree more….more conflict coming to Fromme in the very near future.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Aug. 3, 2015, 2:37 p.m.

Hopefully the novelty will die off. Til then, I'm glad I can ride weekday mornings!

PS anybody walking, running, or biking up Expresso on a weekend or hoilday is a fucking idiot!

Aug. 3, 2015, 2:53 p.m.

Couldn't agree more….more conflict coming to Fromme in the very near future.

Absolutely. I've been dreading the lot opening.

Maybe winter and weekdays will still be okay but summer weekends and week nights will never be the same again, particularly on the lower trails.

Aug. 3, 2015, 3:15 p.m.

hikers better learn to dodge or stay off the down trails.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Aug. 3, 2015, 3:27 p.m.

Sweet! Something new to complain about.

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 3, 2015, 3:38 p.m.

It's a long weekend. Things will be extra busy.

Aug. 3, 2015, 4:43 p.m.

Hopefully the novelty will die off. Til then, I'm glad I can ride weekday mornings!

PS anybody walking, running, or biking up Expresso on a weekend or hoilday is a fucking idiot!

If you think it is bad now, just you wait when the word gets out about convenient parking and smoothe, groomed trails to hike on. Like posted earlier, this is only the beginning and it is only going to get worse. If you thought trail conflicts were an issue now, just you wait. I wonder how long it will be before there is a serious accident on Bobsled by some biker running down a pedestrian whom should of not been there in the first place. Stay tuned….

Aug. 3, 2015, 4:46 p.m.

Yup waiting for the first hikers to get landed on while standing on a tranny…tough to stop in mid air.

Aug. 3, 2015, 4:49 p.m.

When I was there in the spring I was shocked to see they mowed down a bunch of trees to build a parking lot. ESPECIALLY after all the fuss that is made regarding environmental 'damage' done at the hands of mountain bikers. Are the Monica Cravers of the World creating a fuss over this? Does no one find the construction of a parking lot a tad hypocritical?

To me this paves the way for a machine built jump trail. Gone are any environmental concerns in doing so.

Aug. 3, 2015, 5:19 p.m.

When I was there in the spring I was shocked to see they mowed down a bunch of trees to build a parking lot. ESPECIALLY after all the fuss that is made regarding environmental 'damage' done at the hands of mountain bikers. Are the Monica Cravers of the World creating a fuss over this? Does no one find the construction of a parking lot a tad hypocritical?

To me this paves the way for a machine built jump trail. Gone are any environmental concerns in doing so.

It's probably OK with her as long as you're not parking in front of her house or disturbing frogs!

:fruit:

Aug. 3, 2015, 7:05 p.m.

Why is the gate not open til 9! So late :(

Aug. 3, 2015, 7:08 p.m.

Why is the gate not open til 9! So late :(

I really like the new parking lot but I wish it was open a little later. For those who work reg. 9-5 type jobs it's hard to get out during the week after and finish your ride before 8pm.

Aug. 3, 2015, 7:37 p.m.

I agree [HTML_REMOVED] assume novelty is the case.

To address some others comments:

First of all, the parking lot was built in order to relieve congestion in the residential 'hood….it was not just bikers who parked below.

As well a rider, I'm a fairly hard core trail runner [HTML_REMOVED] I am not a fan of running on Fromme…with the exception of the BP [HTML_REMOVED] Mountain Highway ([HTML_REMOVED] Griffen on occasion). But that's only because I am running across the mountain from somewhere else.
I know the area has always been popular with hikers (note that the BP [HTML_REMOVED] many other trails pre-date all of the mountain bike trails), as I have encountered a few in the past couple of years asking if there was any closer parking (I've heard the same from riders).

In general, Fromme is not a prime destination for trail runners (again, with the exception of the BP, [HTML_REMOVED] Mountain Highway). Bike specific trails are not designed for running….the skinnies, ladders, flat Roman roads, etc…do not make for particularly good running….especially when you now it's mountain bike territory. With so many other options, Fromme is not exactly the destination it is for us riders.
Personally I don't understand why anyone would be running on the slopes of Fromme at this time of year anyway.
Obviously, locals will ride or run in their own backyard, regardless, but I have not heard any buzz in the trail running community that suggests that the new parking lot is high on anyone's hit list.

As far as hikers/runners heading up Expresso? I don't think that has anything to do with the new parking lot. I've seen a few recently (including a few folks walking their dogs off leash [HTML_REMOVED] well away from their owners…not pros)[HTML_REMOVED] asked them where they are coming from. They all (based on my personal questioning) have come from Dempsey/Braemar. I am also baffled by the number of them in the last couple of weeks….is it perhaps because the trail is so well groomed, that it looks like a hiking path? Hopefully they get the message.

BTW…I agree with the idea of trail designation…not everyone reads forums or maps, or understands the idea of downhill/uphill primary. Clarity [HTML_REMOVED] respect should be the guide.

PS I find it quite ironic how full-circle this has come….I started mountain biking in the early 80's.Mountain bikers were the novelty on the mountain [HTML_REMOVED] the hikers owned the trails. Many trails were closed to riders because of the conflicts…Lynn Headwaters, Singing Pass, Garibaldi Lake, Upper Hollyburn, etc… Now there is a new parking lot [HTML_REMOVED] we feel entitled.