Fromme parking debated by DNV

Dec. 6, 2011, 5:33 p.m.

12-year-old off at the gate with a cellphone and he waits for me while I park the car down the hill. You have options. Your kids don't have to ride on the road.

While this may work for your 12 year old I don't like leaving my 8 year old or his 7 year old cousin alone with the likes of Monica wondering around!

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Dec. 6, 2011, 5:37 p.m.

While this may work for your 12 year old I don't like leaving my 8 year old or his 7 year old cousin alone with the likes of Monica wondering around!

Monica doesn't go that far away from home!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Dec. 9, 2011, 10:46 p.m.

lazy ass people bullsh*t
There is a ton of parking its on coleman street. Or at the school on coleman. I live on coleman i pedal from coleman to fromme everytime i ride. Guess what Ive NEVER in a year living here seen coleman packed to the point you can't park. The ride up on a big bike (and im not very fit) it takes me 15 minutes.

As for your childern park on coleman and walk to the trailhead if they cant ride teach them to not be so lazy. If this is to incoveinent for you DONT RIDE WITH THEM. Put them in a camp for little riders. Furthermore I've watched lots of good parents ride by my house with thier little ones going for a ride on fromme.

Build trails not parking lots.

I cant believe this is even a debate.

Dec. 10, 2011, 8:02 a.m.

As for your childern park on coleman and walk to the trailhead if they cant ride teach them to not be so lazy. If this is to incoveinent for you DONT RIDE WITH THEM. Put them in a camp for little riders. Furthermore I've watched lots of good parents ride by my house with thier little ones going for a ride on fromme.

There is also car pooling … drop kids off higher up the hill or at the gate, driver parks the car and catches up with the babysitter/s, unless the babies are baby hammerhead-enduro-junkies.

Dec. 10, 2011, 10:33 a.m.

Build trails not parking lots.

This is my preference but…

I cant believe this is even a debate.

Two factors:

1 - DNV has to deal with the widening demographics of the sport. More people are riding than ever. Not all of them are as physically active as core riders. For some people, adding a 15 minute uphill ride to the trail head is a deal breaker and they would ride elsewhere or not ride at all. When you're trying to bring tourist $$ to the Shore, you want as broad a demographic as possible.

2 - Residents have lobbied long and hard for parking relief. They need to see action to alleviate the problem. They pay taxes. They deserve action from DNV.

Dec. 10, 2011, 5:56 p.m.

They pay taxes.

so do many mountain bikers…

Dec. 10, 2011, 6:34 p.m.

I pay taxes in the district. I' d prefer my taxes not be wasted. Again there is ample parking on coleman an below.

Dec. 10, 2011, 7:35 p.m.

This is my preference but…

Two factors:

1 - DNV has to deal with the widening demographics of the sport. More people are riding than ever. Not all of them are as physically active as core riders. For some people, adding a 15 minute uphill ride to the trail head is a deal breaker and they would ride elsewhere or not ride at all. When you're trying to bring tourist $$ to the Shore, you want as broad a demographic as possible.

2 - Residents have lobbied long and hard for parking relief. They need to see action to alleviate the problem. They pay taxes. They deserve action from DNV.

1 - I don't understand how something like a 15 minute ride or walk uphill narrows the demographic of an entire sport, especially on a mountain where 30 min to 1+ hour rides uphill are the mandatory do any decent amount of descending. As is walking some "downhill" sections of trail (like the BP trail). I believe Mount Fromme is self-selecting for the demographic "that rides up hill to ride downhill". Also, I believe Lower Mainland residents far outnumber tourists on Fromme, especially outside the peak summer times.

2 - Can you explain where the current parking issues on Mountain Highway? As Resnick pointed out, I too have never had a problem finding parking on Coleman - I believe the residents are more concerned about traffic through their neighbourhood. A parking lot at the top of Mountain Highway will not solve this problem … in fact it will push more traffic further up the hill.

Dec. 10, 2011, 10:25 p.m.

1 - I don't understand how something like a 15 minute ride or walk uphill narrows the demographic of an entire sport, especially on a mountain where 30 min to 1+ hour rides uphill are the mandatory do any decent amount of descending. As is walking some "downhill" sections of trail (like the BP trail). I believe Mount Fromme is self-selecting for the demographic "that rides up hill to ride downhill". Also, I believe Lower Mainland residents far outnumber tourists on Fromme, especially outside the peak summer times.

Believe it or not, Duncan, not everyone is as dedicated to riding and fitness as you are. Besides, laps of Bobsled are a lot faster than 30 minutes. Not everyone is looking for a decent amount of descending.

In the past, the NS trails have been geared towards dedicated riders. Bobsled is evidence that there's a much broader market out there. By reaching out to these people we increase support the trails and grow the size of the riding community.

2 - Can you explain where the current parking issues on Mountain Highway? As Resnick pointed out, I too have never had a problem finding parking on Coleman - I believe the residents are more concerned about traffic through their neighbourhood. A parking lot at the top of Mountain Highway will not solve this problem … in fact it will push more traffic further up the hill.

You'd have to talk to the residents. My guess is that's it's more of a problem in peak season.

I know it would annoy the heck out of me if I had to park even a 5 minute walk away from my house because my street was full of cars with bike racks. Imagine how you would feel if this happened to you on a rainy day with your grom in tow.

Dec. 11, 2011, 7:51 a.m.

Believe it or not, Duncan, not everyone is as dedicated to riding and fitness as you are. Besides, laps of Bobsled are a lot faster than 30 minutes. Not everyone is looking for a decent amount of descending.

In the past, the NS trails have been geared towards dedicated riders. Bobsled is evidence that there's a much broader market out there. By reaching out to these people we increase support the trails and grow the size of the riding community.

Believe it or not, it takes some people more that 30 minutes to do a bobsled lap (like the 11-12 year old kids I ride with). What can the DNV do for them to make the lap go quicker?

You'd have to talk to the residents. My guess is that's it's more of a problem in peak season.

I know it would annoy the heck out of me if I had to park even a 5 minute walk away from my house because my street was full of cars with bike racks. Imagine how you would feel if this happened to you on a rainy day with your grom in tow.

I can totally relate because only 2 of my cars will fit in my driveway …

Dec. 11, 2011, 7:56 a.m.

Not riding up mountain highway doesnt make you lazy…

Dec. 11, 2011, 8:02 a.m.

Not riding up mountain highway doesnt make you lazy…

You mean the fireroad?

- Money for trails should go to fund trails
- Parking and parking access roads are OK, but not inside the woods where people ride/hike. Its like parking cars right on the beach.

Its that simple …

Dec. 11, 2011, 8:24 a.m.

I rode on fromme a bunch this fall, mornings, afternoons, mid day on weekends, and never had to park more than 100m from mountain hwy on coleman….I realize that isn't prime summer time, but it never seemed that crazy with parking.

Dec. 11, 2011, 8:27 a.m.

You mean the fireroad?

- Money for trails should go to fund trails
- Parking and parking access roads are OK, but not inside the woods where people ride/hike. Its like parking cars right on the beach.

Its that simple …

No I mean mountain highway, someone earlier in the thread was going off about how people are lazy if you don't ride up from coleman. As long as people are going to ride trails it shouldn't really matter how they get themselves there.

Dec. 11, 2011, 8:34 a.m.

I rode on fromme a bunch this fall, mornings, afternoons, mid day on weekends, and never had to park more than 100m from mountain hwy on coleman….I realize that isn't prime summer time, but it never seemed that crazy with parking.

Its worse on weekends for sure. But does that justify spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on a parking LOT????