Fromme on a hardtail

Dec. 12, 2012, 11:17 a.m.

Well, Morgan, like me, has perfected the pedaling technique and are now using clip less pedals to enhance our performance. Thereby taking advantage of the enhancement of our pedaling skills to slay climbs.

Just stay far away from little rolling bumps or you might go OTB!

Dec. 12, 2012, 11:44 a.m.

I used flats and 5.10's last winter for a few months. Riding lower Seymour on stuff like Sticks and Stones was much harder and my pulse was a lot higher too. And that was after I became more used to not being clipped in too. So I say that bike james fellow does not know what he's taking about. Even DH racers are more often clipped in these days too as are BMX racers. I read something recently that claimed that a flat pedal rider has not been on the top step of a World Cup DH in over two years.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 12, 2012, 12:04 p.m.

Just stay far away from little rolling bumps or you might go OTB!

I finally reached the mountain top of pedaling technique shortly after my meeting with the dirt on that day. I had a bit of a vision while seeing stars…

The whole debate is kind of dumb. James Wilson's opinion is just that. I can see his point if you simply sit and spin. But for technical climbing clipless can't be beat. There are obvious advantages to descending as well.

I can and do ride both ways.

The HT is too much fun. So, I don't really focus on what my feet are doing. I am enjoying the ride.

Dec. 12, 2012, 12:04 p.m.

Well, Morgan, like me, has perfected the pedaling technique and are now using clip less pedals to enhance our performance. Thereby taking advantage of the enhancement of our pedaling skills to slay climbs.

I like your logic! I will say the worst place for flats is any short steep climbs, like on Bridle Path. I was a clipless aficionado for years, made the switch to flats about 3 years ago to feel safer and more confident on the aforementioned techgnar. Now my feet stick to my pedals naturally. And I feel like a kid again. And slay climbs with my superhero fitness.

Dec. 12, 2012, 12:22 p.m.

Funny how this all started because I said my feet were cold on the ride. I have yet to find a pair of clipless shoes that do not draw the heat right out of my feet through the cleat-pedal interface. Duct tape under the insole helps, but only so much.

flickr

Dec. 12, 2012, 12:57 p.m.

Funny how this all started because I said my feet were cold on the ride. I have yet to find a pair of clipless shoes that do not draw the heat right out of my feet through the cleat-pedal interface. Duct tape under the insole helps, but only so much.

I find it helps if I bring a lighter and occasionally put a flame on each cleat for about 20 seconds. Get off the bike to do this though, it's damn tricky if you're clipped in.

Wrong. Always.

Dec. 12, 2012, 4:31 p.m.

I used flats and 5.10's last winter for a few months. Riding lower Seymour on stuff like Sticks and Stones was much harder and my pulse was a lot higher too. And that was after I became more used to not being clipped in too. So I say that bike james fellow does not know what he's taking about. Even DH racers are more often clipped in these days too as are BMX racers. I read something recently that claimed that a flat pedal rider has not been on the top step of a World Cup DH in over two years.

Because he doesn't acknowledge the requirements for pedalling for Steve Smith are completely different then what anyone here really needs. Reality is at race speeds those guy's need every advantage to stay attached to their bikes. Currently SPD pedals are what is the advantage.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 12, 2012, 4:33 p.m.

I have been told taking those styofoam trays used for meat cut down work well. But don't take my word for it as I haven't tried it out.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 12, 2012, 4:55 p.m.

Brook MacDonald won Val d'Isère this summer, and a huge deal was made about it due to the fact that he was on flats and not clipped in. It's definitely a rarity now.

I'm attempting more technical riding lately, so I've switched over to flats to up the success rate of bike/body separation upon crashing, but I miss my SPDs every time the trail turns upwards…

Ride, don't slide.

Dec. 12, 2012, 5:02 p.m.

Back to riding hard tails people! :crazy:

Dec. 12, 2012, 5:12 p.m.

I never left glad to see you all return :)
Also glad to see 647s making a come back spds are so much nicer to ride with.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Dec. 12, 2012, 7:57 p.m.

I have been told taking those styofoam trays used for meat cut down work well. But don't take my word for it as I haven't tried it out.

Hey, I've got meat styrofoam and I don't have duct tape. Imminent winning.

flickr

Dec. 12, 2012, 8:54 p.m.

I have been using Shimano's Gore-Tex winter boot for years (various models… I've owned 3 pairs now). I find them very well insulated from cleat-heat transfer and as a bonus the latest versions are much lighter weight then the previous shoes (with no change in stiffness).

My only niggle is stiffness under hard standing pedalling loads (S.Spd), but that is compared to a performance shoe. This winter I am going to try Gaerne's similar offering.

I find it helps if I bring a lighter and occasionally put a flame on each cleat for about 20 seconds. Get off the bike to do this though, it's damn tricky if you're clipped in.

I'm sorry (not really actually), but you really are the Jar-Jar-Binks of bb.NSMB.com minus the merchandizing opportunities to children?!

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Dec. 12, 2012, 10:36 p.m.

^ Thanks Drew. I've not had serious problems over the past few seasons, and have spent the majority of my spd time on XC race shoes, so right now the Nikes are nice and I'll probably be moving to a pair of Shimano AM45s.

OK, so today Omar and I rode a Seymour loop from Lynn Valley: various trails in the Hyannis zone, Salamander, Bridle, etc. He's got a large Samurai with a (140-150?) Revelation (~24" TT) and I have a long Monk with a 100mm Fox 32 (~23" TT). I've become accustomed to climbing anything steep standing up, and am keeping up fine doing so… but I've been thinking of a longer frame not only for seat extension but for top tube length. While the Monk is super fun, it does have its drawbacks (short ST and TT, and their effects).

At the top of Bottletop I suggested a bike swap. Omar was down. The Revelation didn't have enough air in it for me, but I admittedly run a lot of air in my fork (125 in the 32 with RLC cranked). That one trail was enough to confirm that I'd be completely fine on a bigger frame – and two other things: that a 28" bar is not wide enough any more, and Omar could do well with a brake upgrade (XT to Saint M800 2-piston calipers).

I thought I had put the idea of a new frame away for a while, but here I find myself perusing the Chromag site. If there was a Stylus in an amenable colour, I'd pull the trigger. Unfortunately a replacement frame competes with the LOUD green and white Monk, and I'm not sure anything short of a Gypsy will appease my aesthetic ideals.

flickr

Dec. 13, 2012, 1:36 a.m.

^ Thanks Drew. I've not had serious problems over the past few seasons, and have spent the majority of my spd time on XC race shoes, so right now the Nikes are nice and I'll probably be moving to a pair of Shimano AM45s.

OK, so today Omar and I rode a Seymour loop from Lynn Valley: various trails in the Hyannis zone, Salamander, Bridle, etc. He's got a large Samurai with a (140-150?) Revelation (~24" TT) and I have a long Monk with a 100mm Fox 32 (~23" TT). I've become accustomed to climbing anything steep standing up, and am keeping up fine doing so… but I've been thinking of a longer frame not only for seat extension but for top tube length. While the Monk is super fun, it does have its drawbacks (short ST and TT, and their effects).

At the top of Bottletop I suggested a bike swap. Omar was down. The Revelation didn't have enough air in it for me, but I admittedly run a lot of air in my fork (125 in the 32 with RLC cranked). That one trail was enough to confirm that I'd be completely fine on a bigger frame – and two other things: that a 28" bar is not wide enough any more, and Omar could do well with a brake upgrade (XT to Saint M800 2-piston calipers).

I thought I had put the idea of a new frame away for a while, but here I find myself perusing the Chromag site. If there was a Stylus in an amenable colour, I'd pull the trigger. Unfortunately a replacement frame competes with the LOUD green and white Monk, and I'm not sure anything short of a Gypsy will appease my aesthetic ideals.

I'd love that flouro green Samurai (or is it a Stylus) in that latest Chromag vid.

I ran into a guy this morning on SFU with a red Aperture. That is a real nice bike as well! I chose my TransAm frame based on a spare taper fork I have and a spare 12X142 rear wheel. I'm pretty happy with it overall. It doesn't have the geo they cool kids like these days, but it does the job. That being said I've been on the Chromag site a lot lately as well :-)