Fromme on a hardtail

Dec. 12, 2012, 8:08 a.m.

Uh-oh, the old flats versus clipless debate!

http://www.bikejames.com/strength/are-clipless-enhancing-your-performance-or-covering-up-your-dysfunctions/

Well, Morgan, like me, has perfected the pedaling technique and are now using clip less pedals to enhance our performance. Thereby taking advantage of the enhancement of our pedaling skills to slay climbs.

To avoid cold feet I wear a nice pair of wool socks.

Dec. 12, 2012, 8:16 a.m.

http://www.bikejames.com/strength/are-clipless-enhancing-your-performance-or-covering-up-your-dysfunctions/

I've tried following his arguments a few times, and I know a few people who are strongly against clipless pedals, but I find his arguments a bit weird. The bias really shines through, which is the problem with having a really strong opinion I would assume.
I can go both ways with clips and flats, and there are advantages to both, but overall, I much prefer clips on a hardtail so I don't get kicked off the bike as easily on rougher terrain. I've never had any issue unclipping.

Dec. 12, 2012, 8:31 a.m.

Flats really do suck for climbing, and overall power transfer. In spite of this, if my day is all tech gnar with some short climbs I will run flats.

Dec. 12, 2012, 8:41 a.m.

clipless pedals and 5.10's w/ cleats? works for me.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Dec. 12, 2012, 8:58 a.m.

I don't run clipless because I am biased, get off and walk at any hint of a climb, and am a grumpy old tit.

I totally get the advantages of clipless (and have used them in the past), and sort of missed them while XC guiding on rocky climbs. But at the end of the day, if I was bothered about efficiency when mountain biking I wouldn't ride a hardtail!

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 12, 2012, 9:12 a.m.

I don't run clipless because I am biased, get off and walk at any hint of a climb, and am a grumpy old tit.

I totally get the advantages of clipless (and have used them in the past), and sort of missed them while XC guiding on rocky climbs. But at the end of the day, if I was bothered about efficiency when mountain biking I wouldn't ride a hardtail!

I love the honesty of this entire post.

Twitter: Stephen_matthws
Instagram: stephen_matthews

Dec. 12, 2012, 9:35 a.m.

How do you guys walk up Fromme clipped in though?

Dec. 12, 2012, 9:37 a.m.

RF DH shorts, 661 pads, long socks, and cold feet due to spds.

two pair of socks (inner wool, outer beer) and my feet only got cold while standing at the entrance to 7th

If you are walking up Fromme with a hardtail then you are doing something very wrong… just saying… :lol:

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

a long trials/hopping exercise

Dec. 12, 2012, 10:24 a.m.

you have to unclip to walk

flats are clipless literally anyway (although I had clips on my old flat pedals)
I blame stupid mba for inventing that clipless term
SPDs actually clip the metal knobs on the cleat

Dec. 12, 2012, 10:54 a.m.

If you are walking up Fromme with a hardtail then you are doing something very wrong… just saying… :lol:

Or have more other priorities in life….just saying. As an ex top level junior XC racer in the UK, regional road hill climb champion (winning on my mountain bike with slicks, much to the annoyance of the roadies), XC guide blah blah blah I have climbed a few hills in the last 25 years mountain biking, but if I want to get off and walk for a few minutes on a boring fireroad climb then I bloody well will :)

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 12, 2012, 10:58 a.m.

Or have more other priorities in life….just saying. As an ex top level junior XC racer in the UK, regional road hill climb champion (winning on my mountain bike with slicks, much to the annoyance of the roadies), XC guide blah blah blah I have climbed a few hills in the last 25 years mountain biking, but if I want to get off and walk for a few minutes on a boring fireroad climb then I bloody well will :)

I'm of the opposite mindset. I want to pedal up as fast as possible to minimise the boredom. Mountain highway is the main reason I don't ride Fromme much any more. It. Is. Boring.

Dec. 12, 2012, 11:14 a.m.

you have to unclip to walk

flats are clipless literally anyway (although I had clips on my old flat pedals)
I blame stupid mba for inventing that clipless term
SPDs actually clip the metal knobs on the cleat

Clipless comes from the days of transition from pedals with toe clips and straps to clip-in or clipless pedals. When you know the history it all makes sense.

Not that I like the term clipless for clip-in pedals but I'm just sayin.

Dec. 12, 2012, 11:15 a.m.

Mountain highway. It. Is. Boring.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This :zzz: