Fromme Mtn, DNV trail work updates

July 7, 2010, 10 a.m.

It's a high traffic area that was perhaps abit lumpy for many people. I have seen lots of fully armoured riders walking through those rocks and it was prone to multiple lines. This will confine trail users to a single pathway. I can't say the old lumpy line was bad for me. I actually liked the challenge of riding it fast. In the wet it was fun.

Hey if it's too easy on your motorless motocross bike get a xc race hardtail and up the anti. That makes the easiest lines more challenging. It is about the challenge isn't it?

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

July 7, 2010, 12:55 p.m.

Pink Starfish is temporarily closed for maintenance. I do not know when it will re-open or how long the maintenance of the trail will take.

Jerry Rig is also temporarily closed pending a trail re-assessment by the DNV and the possibility of the trail being adopted. The upper portion of the trail with all the skinnies at the beginning are rotted out and unsafe for riding, these will be decommissioned to prevent usage of the trail pending the assessment/maintenance of the trail.

Is anyone actively working on Pink Starfish? I've seen some fairly recent looking work but also some of the other woodwork is pretty well rotten through. Some nice lines on there and it would be a shame to lose it. Sadly, I have neither the time nor the skills to maintain the trail though I'd be happy to help out on a trail day!! ;)

July 7, 2010, 1:38 p.m.

Thanks for the quote 6061. I had missed that earlier in the thread. Phew.

July 7, 2010, 1:43 p.m.

I'm really trying to like the DNV's work but I can't help but feel that we're gonna have some areas to 'work on' this fall when the temporary trail crew has moved on

oh well, I guess there's the other 99.9% of the mountain that they won't have time to work on

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 7, 2010, 4:19 p.m.

People wine and moan that the DNV does nothing…then they finally do some work that ever so slightly dumbs down a section and it's a bitch fest? Someone must have pictures showing that those sections used to be nice smooth trail bed before.

Some continuity would be nice. Building on the work done previously by volunteers and paid grants through the NSMBA.

There are plenty of areas that require work rather then redoing what was already done.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

July 7, 2010, 4:22 p.m.

Is anyone actively working on Pink Starfish? I've seen some fairly recent looking work but also some of the other woodwork is pretty well rotten through. Some nice lines on there and it would be a shame to lose it. Sadly, I have neither the time nor the skills to maintain the trail though I'd be happy to help out on a trail day!! ;)

Yes.

I'm volunteering as fast as I can.

July 7, 2010, 7:11 p.m.

Devastation turned to eleation at the top of SOD today. Huge props to DNV parks in combining old and new. A true forward thinking snapshot of the big picture.

July 7, 2010, 8:02 p.m.

Ok here are some more photos.

Stairs of despair finished work

Rode this tonight and gotta say it's very nice work AND the old line is still there for those nostalgic folks to ride!

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

July 7, 2010, 8:05 p.m.

The Old line was indeed rebuilt. It's a bit different and is more of a straight line and is kinda split in 2 portions, but it should do the trick for a while.

didnt know nsmb was only for pros

its not, its only for dicks.

My Flickr

July 9, 2010, 8:58 p.m.

http://nsmba.ca/content/2010-07_fromme-update

Please click above link to get up to speed with the work being done by the DNV with open consultation from the NSMBA.

Thank you to the DNV for their efforts!

web: nsmba.ca
email: [email protected]

Trails for all, trails forever.

July 9, 2010, 10:20 p.m.

So I guess we'll be shutting down this thread then?

didnt know nsmb was only for pros

its not, its only for dicks.

My Flickr

July 10, 2010, 1:14 a.m.

People wine and moan that the DNV does nothing…then they finally do some work that ever so slightly dumbs down a section and it's a bitch fest? Someone must have pictures showing that those sections used to be nice smooth trail bed before.

I'm sure Lord Baden Powell's vision was of a boardwalk through the mountains.

While I'm on it - this is 800K of my tax dollars being spent on this project, correct?

I don't see why they (oh hang on, wait, I mean we, since it's my money) didn't give digger a 100K/yr job for the next 8 years with specific tasks/year built in. Hell, I bet a 50K/yr salary over the next 16 years would have been accepted.

Sorry that I'm not cheering over this, seeing as I'm paying for it.

But again…. nice boardwalk.

July 10, 2010, 9:27 a.m.

I don't get depressed when I'm not axle deep in mud.

Old Buck used to be like that before DNV turned it into an easy climb. It took 110% keep riding. Now it just takes lungs.

July 10, 2010, 11:06 a.m.

I guess one thing "we" (and I include myself in the "we") keep forgetting is that not all the trails are "ours" and that the money came from the Feds to improve the trails for everyone, bikers, hikers, joggers and dog walkers etc.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

July 10, 2010, 12:03 p.m.

Really, all this groaning?
I have been reading posts on this board for years, and this thread has pushed me to finally sign up and hop on the keyboard…

The DNV is recognizing biking on Fromme and working on improving trails, read that again and let it sink in.

How is this not a good thing?

They are upgrading a "Hiking" trail that the mtn bikers are allowed to use, this isn't the other way around. Lord Baden Powell's vision was to get people into the outdoors, doubt he would care if they were walking on nicely built cedar board walks for small sections of it, or loose rock and rooty trail. Its far from paved. Enjoy the work and give the hard workers the praise they deserve.

Agree with the post earlier about "Ladies", not much of a stink about the wood work that covers that trail now, and that was a much bigger trail difficulty change, but we all love Digger and the fact that trail work was happening. So lets use those same glasses to view the DNV work. Being grateful it is happening!

And Its not 800K for JUST mtn bike trail work (also i have heard the number was more around 500K), its money to be spent on the ENTIRE mtn. regardless of the #, without the facts speculating on $$ spent is pointless with out the facts. Get the facts and then come back.

Thank you James for posting the updates on the work that is being done, please keep it up! And a big thank you for all the hard work that the trail builders are putting in.

For anyone that bitches about the work being done, please also post the hours of trail work you have contributed to Fromme, then your complaints may be taken a little more seriously.

And give your head a shake!