Fromme goodness

Aug. 28, 2016, 7:28 p.m.

What's up everybody? Just wanted to say hi and say what awesome trails you guys have. Yesterday was my first time hitting the North Shore, and man do you have have some sweet trails up here.

I rode Fromme and managed to hit 7th secret (x2), expresso, lower pipeline, lower oilcan, floppy bunny, leppard, crinkum cranium and kirkford. I loved it!!! It was awesome to ride properly technical trails again. What you guys have is absolutely amazing. All of the rock rolls, skinnies, and tight corners are superb. I haven't had this much fun on my bike in a while. I think 7th secret was my favorite, followed up by espresso. But honestly every single trail was sweeeeeet.

I've got to wander though, how many brake pads, rims and tires do you guys go through a season? I've found myself to be using my brakes a lot more here than on my regular trails. Also, picked a few bad lines and heard some rims strikes, but thankfully no flats or dents (thanks tubeless!). I can only imagine what my rear rim would look life if I came up more often. Speak of that, what tires do you guys run out back? My well used semi-slick Nobby Nic was struggling here for sure.

Anyway, thanks again for having such great trails and sharing them with others!! I can't wait to come back and have a blast again.

Aug. 28, 2016, 7:50 p.m.

Welcome!
EXO grade Maxxis tires are my go-to's. DHR2 or HR2s out back. DHF 3C EXO on the front.
Double check your tire pressure before every ride.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Aug. 28, 2016, 8:42 p.m.

Remember rim brakes? I had to buy new rims with every fourth set of brake pads. The rim would just crater from wear.

Aug. 28, 2016, 8:43 p.m.

Thanks for the positive feedback though! Always nice to hear.

Aug. 28, 2016, 8:51 p.m.

I had a great ride on Fromme this afternoon, too.

The tight corners on 7th are just piles of dust right now. Hopefully some rain will sort things out, and also wash away the stink at the entrance. It reeks like a BC Parks pit toilet.

Aug. 29, 2016, 7:19 a.m.

Welcome!
EXO grade Maxxis tires are my go-to's. DHR2 or HR2s out back. DHF 3C EXO on the front.
Double check your tire pressure before every ride.

Agreed with said tire choice. In ever changing configurations!

Aug. 29, 2016, 3:45 p.m.

Damn, riding the north shore on rim brakes must have been….. different. Props to those of you that survived that era, haha.

Thanks for the tire advice. I've actually been looking at the DHR2, glad to get some confirmation on that front. I think that'll be a good winter tire, and should pair up well with the E13 TRS+ Race that I have up front. That's a seriously good tire, and it did not disappoint at Fromme. How slick are all of the rock armoured corners once the rain comes? Is it pretty much a slip and slide?

Ended up joining the NSMBA yesterday because I really loved my first trip, and definitely want to come again. Any recommendation on what area to hit up next in the Lower Mainland?

Aug. 29, 2016, 4:17 p.m.

Seymour has some great pedaling routes. The Fiver/Twoonie routes make for a full ride of up and down.

http://www.trailforks.com/region/mount-seymour/routes/

Aug. 29, 2016, 4:33 p.m.

Damn, riding the north shore on rim brakes must have been….. different. Props to those of you that survived that era, haha.

Thanks for the tire advice. I've actually been looking at the DHR2, glad to get some confirmation on that front. I think that'll be a good winter tire, and should pair up well with the E13 TRS+ Race that I have up front. That's a seriously good tire, and it did not disappoint at Fromme. How slick are all of the rock armoured corners once the rain comes? Is it pretty much a slip and slide?

End up joining the NSMBA yesterday because I really loved my first trip, and definitely want to come again. Any recommendation on what area to hit up next in the Lower Mainland?

It's slippery but it becomes quite predictable. Definitely get the 3C/sticky version of whatever tires you buy from September onwards. The harder compound ones are pretty sketchy in the winter.

Cypress is good. Seymour is good. Burke in Coquitlam is good. Bear and Woodlot and Sumas further east.

www.trailmapps.com has apps for most of the good spots around here.

Where are you coming from?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Aug. 29, 2016, 9:28 p.m.

Thanks for leading me onto the routes section of Trailforks, I always glossed over it. I used that app at Fromme, but just picked my own routes. It worked out fine, but in hind sight I wish I did the single track climb on the western side, rather than the BP to Mt Rd every time.

Good call on the 3C. I've never owned Maxxis tires so thanks for the clarification on the compounds. I'll pick some up in the next few weeks.

I'm coming up from Everett. So pretty much everything in the Lower Mainland is day tripable. Squamish and Whistler are mostly reserved for overnight/weekends. It ended up being a 2:40 drive up and 2 down, which I don't consider bad.

So if you had to pick your favorite, legal and internet stranger shareable (mostly this) riding area, what would it be?

Aug. 29, 2016, 9:33 p.m.

Thanks for leading me onto the routes section of Trailforks, I always glossed over it. I used that app at Fromme, but just picked my own routes. It worked out fine, but in hind sight I wish I did the single track climb on the western side, rather than the BP to Mt Rd every time.

Good call on the 3C. I've never owned Maxxis tires so thanks for the clarification on the compounds. I'll pick some up in the next few weeks.

I'm coming up from Everett. So pretty much everything in the Lower Mainland is day tripable. Squamish and Whistler are mostly reserved for overnight/weekends. It ended up being a 2:40 drive up and 2 down, which I don't consider bad.

So if you had to pick your favorite, legal and internet stranger shareable (mostly this) riding area, what would it be?

I live and ride on the shore but my favorite riding zone is squamish

Aug. 30, 2016, 10:14 a.m.

Most of the time I don’t have a choice, but I prefer to ride different zones based on weather/conditions. Something like the following:

early Spring - Pemberton
late Spring/early Summer - Shore, Squamish
Summer - Whistler, Fraser Valley, Squamish
early Fall - Whistler, Shore
late Fall - Pemberton
Winter - lower Shore, Bellingham

Aug. 30, 2016, 3:13 p.m.

You might actually be able to get to Eagle and Burke in Coquitlam faster than the shore, as you would drive up Hwy-15 and miss the 99/Hwy-1 congestion and bridges. I've ridden Eagle a few times and loved it, awesome trails, and I hear Burke is even better. Full Pull from the top of Eagle is great but a long climb/push to get to.

Squamish is amazing but a bit far for a day trip for you, factor in +45 minutes from the shore to the trailheads and traffic coming back on weekends can be bad.

Aug. 30, 2016, 9:52 p.m.

I love riding in Squamish! I managed to get 2 days out there this year and there is still so much for me to explore. Next year my goal will be to check out Pemberton. I keep hearing too many good things to not see for myself. I'll see if I can make it to Squamish again this year. Still have 2 tickets at Whistler that I need to use.

Pretty much all of last winter I rode in Bellingham, and trails around the I-90 corridor. I'm not used to trails holding up that well in the winter so year round riding is a new concept for me.

Do you guys have anything good to say about the trails around Abbotsford?

Aug. 31, 2016, 8:43 p.m.

You are showing a remarkable ability to hit ALL the right notes as a new guy to the boards. Welcome. Glad you're enjoying it so far. Hope to see you up there.

I dig Fromme the most, but part of that is because it's closest for me. You already hit a number of the classics, but as you spend time up there, some other treasures will present themselves. Give Seymour a go for sure - some of the recent work in particular (climbing trails Good Sir Martin and Penny Lane, John Deere, and others) are really fun and you'll have a blast.

There are some tire geek threads in the Gear forum that you may find informative, but it's hard to go wrong with some of the suggestions so far. Maxxis 3C is king in these parts, but I've had good luck with Schwalbe Hans Dampf rear and the halo tire in that lineup is Magic Mary (at least up front - some run it out back but it's not fast). On a budget, Specialized Butcher or Bontrager SE4 or SE5.