Fromme Climb Options

Feb. 20, 2012, 12:14 p.m.

I'm looking for recommendations on the best climbing route from McNair Drive through Mountain View Park [HTML_REMOVED] up to the water towers or the 1st switchback.

I've tried a few options [HTML_REMOVED] up Lower Griffen, across the BP continuing on LG, past Natural High [HTML_REMOVED] up King of the Shore seems to be the best bet. You don't get much of a warm up though.

Are there any other options I should look at? Is the paved road up to the water tower at the top of Ramsay Road any use? It looks like it gets you pretty close to the BP.

Cheers!

Feb. 20, 2012, 12:30 p.m.

I've looked a bit and ended up with the same option as you. I would love to hear some alternatives. There's some spots on Lower Griffen I haven't made it up - one rooty section near the bottom and a pinch over a rock just above BP. Who's cleaning the whole climb?

Cheers, Ben

Feb. 20, 2012, 12:32 p.m.

Go in Mountain View head up the BP and keep an eye out for a loamie on your left.

That loamie climbs up and around the horrible part of the BP and then links up to lower Griffen. Ride up lower Griffen then up King of the Shore.

Climb Road Side Attraction and you get to the first switchback.

Feb. 20, 2012, 12:37 p.m.

I'm looking for recommendations on the best climbing route from McNair Drive through Mountain View Park [HTML_REMOVED] up to the water towers or the 1st switchback.

I've tried a few options [HTML_REMOVED] up Lower Griffen, across the BP continuing on LG, past Natural High [HTML_REMOVED] up King of the Shore seems to be the best bet. You don't get much of a warm up though.

Are there any other options I should look at? Is the paved road up to the water tower at the top of Ramsay Road any use? It looks like it gets you pretty close to the BP.

Cheers!

The only good climb I know of would be to pedal from your house down Lynn Valley, across Mountain Highway and up to the Black Bear. I've done similar climbs to that before, highly recommended.

Just Ride.

Feb. 20, 2012, 12:46 p.m.

Go in Mountain View head up the BP and keep an eye out for a loamie on your left.

That loamie climbs up and around the horrible part of the BP and then links up to lower Griffen. Ride up lower Griffen then up King of the Shore.

Yup. I used to ride that several times per week because I lived at Hoskins and LV Rd. Often I would try and ride BP all the way from Mountainview entry. I called it Little Colorado because part way up the air seemed to get thin.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Feb. 20, 2012, 1:13 p.m.

If you are looking for something with more of a warm up spin you can link up Hunter Park to Princess Park then climb DB to BP.

Me thinks when another climbing project that is in the works gets finished this will become a more popular route.

Feb. 20, 2012, 2:56 p.m.

This. It's a great climb.

If you are looking for something with more of a warm up spin you can link up Hunter Park to Princess Park then climb DB to BP.

Me thinks when another climbing project that is in the works gets finished this will become a more popular route.

The new climbing option is going to be so good for Fromme! Can't wait till it's all linked up.

Feb. 20, 2012, 2:58 p.m.

mtn view park entrance is nicer than the paved climb at the top of Ramsay to the water tower, though the paved is obviously easier and faster. at the top of the paved you can cross a small creek and it spits you onto the BP just meters west of the BP - LG intersection.

climbing LG from mtn view park to that same part of the BP by the water tower you can avoid that one root section that is impossible to climb if you detour left about 50m before the roots, it takes you over a ditch that you ride up beside and then rejoins after the old wooden bridge with asphalt shingles.

instead of KOS continuing up griffen is a nice option, though it is a bit tougher.

from the top of KOS heading up UG is great, or road side attraction, RSA is a bit easier than UG but for RSA the entrance from the double track below the outhouses is stiff.

another good climb farther up fromme, is just before the 4th SB, hit wardens trail that climbs to the 5th SB.

if you are a XC monster then continue that climb from the 5th SB up to the start of krankum then continue up Leppard to the bottom of 7th!!

Feb. 20, 2012, 2:58 p.m.

Is the paved road up to the water tower at the top of Ramsay Road any use? It looks like it gets you pretty close to the BP.

Cheers!

You can bust a lung riding that paved bit to the water tower, you have to push a bit to get back to the trail.
The loamie bit by griffin gives you a bit more of a warm up. Can't totally link all of of yet…

Feb. 20, 2012, 3:54 p.m.

climbing LG from mtn view park to that same part of the BP by the water tower you can avoid that one root section that is impossible to climb if you detour left about 50m before the roots, it takes you over a ditch that you ride up beside and then rejoins after the old wooden bridge with asphalt shingles.

If I'm thinking of the right part, that is where the "residents only" (or similar) sign is? I'll have a look next time. It would be great to find a way past there, I'm not sure I'll ever get up that rooty section.

The options higher up sound interesting too. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers, Ben