Freeride race: Rampage vs Ride

Jan. 28, 2003, 4:33 p.m.

I thought that Digger's films (NSX1, NSX2 etc.) were the start of people's awareness of the North Shore riding and thus freeriding. He did start earlier than the Kranked films, built many of the trails, and has become a household name on the Shore. If you watch his films, esp. the earlier ones NSX1 and NSX2 the whole hucking thing isn't as big a feature as riding the logs etc. More of the trails were a blending of terrain with adjustments (nail a hollowed out log piece to a log that runs in the direction of the trail to allow people to get onto the log - instead of todays full rung system). The North Shore didn't become famous because of it's rocky ledges and near cliff decents (too many trees in the way!). We aren't famous because of sick steep decents down rocky chutes. Sure we have some (e.g. as pointed out Kamloops - but it's the NS that is coined), but so does everywhere else and downhillers having been practicing on that type of stuff for years before "freeriding".

But anyways I'm not using a single race as my "yard stick" to measure who is the best freerider(s). It is, though, an indication that when all Canadian entries do poorly that either the Canadians had really bad luck as a group or perhaps something else needs to be examined (like maybe the Aussies have caught up? Time to work on whatever was weakest and blow them away next time?). Sure anyone can have bad luck but we still say that the person who wins the gold in the olympics or world champs is the best in the world (for that time period). I think it's fair to say though that Lance Armstrong is the best road cyclist in the world without question, having won multiple times in the Tour. And I'd still say that Wade is without a doubt the best freerider even though he didn't (couldn't) enter the Ride. He's shown his stuff in it before, as well as Rampage twice and does freeriding feats first and smoothest.

As for the definition of freeriding - "exploring new lines and manipulating your terrain" I like that. This is probably the best definition for freeriding (as it has become) - but I stand by the belief that the original NS freeride scene is more like the Ride than the Rampage. Cedric even implied that other DH should try out the Rampage race (same skills plus some big balls I think he was refering to as DH).

Jan. 28, 2003, 5:34 p.m.

I think that both competitions are entirely different and that both have their own merits. Why would RedBull lend their name and sponsorship $$$ to two entirely identical events? Both events test riders skills in totally different ways and in my opinion the events compliment eachother, rather than being singled out and disected on what they are or are not.

To me (and to most of you) freeriding is about getting out their on your bike and having fun and not being limited by ideals or boundaries. In my opinion both of these events fall into this category. (No matter how vague the term "freeriding" is!)

Jan. 28, 2003, 5:41 p.m.

Originally posted by Mongoose Man
The red bull ride is a contest that tests all of the riders skills where as the red bull rampage is basically made up of drops

I don't know about that. At the last rampage did anyone see that line that watson tried only he endoed and fell almost 20 feet down that rockface???

It was nuts. He was trying to ride the steepest, gnarliest set of
rocky outcroppings imaginable. None of them was really a drop
but more of a bunch of small drops going fifty feet down on
an incredibly steep pitch. Sure their are no skinnies or anything
but that is some seriously technical riding.

www.natooke.com

Jan. 28, 2003, 7:30 p.m.

I was not trying to say that the redbull rampage is just drops and I will admit that It does take alot of skill, that statement was more or less breif idea.