Freeride race: Rampage vs Ride

Jan. 26, 2003, 9:48 p.m.

It seems that the Redbull Rampage is all about the huck. Bigger the better on bad trannies (if you could call them that).

Redbull Ride is about hucking, balance on skinnies and teetors, styling things, flow, drops etc.

So why was the results of the Rampage giving the winner (and runner ups) the nod of best freeriders? Yet the same riders who won "best freeriders" weren't in the top 3 in the Ride competition?

As much as I'd love to say that we have the best freeriders in BC, based on this competition (Redbull Ride), I'd say the Aussies rule here (unless someone wants to claim that the Aussies had more time to practice the course - but is that true?). True Wade wasn't in the race but other than Thomas no other Canadian was even in the top 10 no less the top 3 (and Cedric beat Thomas).

True, one competition doesn't really tell all but it's really the only one for freeriding pros.

By the way, does anyone know the results from the first Redbull Ride? If I remember correctly Wade didn't claim first (he did take the Rampage the next year though).

Thoughts? (maybe we (Canadian pros that is - certainly not me :-) just need to spend more time in the forests practicing on North Shore skinnies, teetors, etc. and not just the hucks?)

Jan. 26, 2003, 10:02 p.m.

Freeriding is how you translate the terrain… and imagine lines that other people don't see.

For that reason, Rampage will always be better in my mind. The riders can go ANY way they want and do anything they want.
In the Redbull Ride it was a narrow course that the riders had do do the stunts that are given to them, which isn'f freeriding in my opinion.

Jan. 26, 2003, 10:05 p.m.

thomas came 8th

Andrew Cho

GT Bikes
http://www.gtbicycles.com

Jan. 26, 2003, 10:07 p.m.

wade got first in the original. It was in utah. He would have won again teh next year in jindabyne (sp?) but he flatted, and still attempted the biggest final drop at the end no less (crashing).

I do think that bc sucked it up this year, I dont know why, but the rest of the world is quickly catching up in the freeride thing, jsut like canada in hockey (we used to always win) . However, this year their were dhers aswell, they ahve huge skill, often I guess they dont realise they could put it to freeriding kinda stuff, but now they do. Cedric was saying how on a dh course now if it was rainy or wahtever and he came up to an area where he could just huck off he would do it. Redbull gave him so much confidence in the last utah esp. He totally didnt think guys would hti multiple 30ft drops onto soft landings and stuff in one run alone. I think we will still do well, but we arent the only ones, the aussies ripped(probably did have a bit to do with being used to that rocky kinda terrain)

Jan. 26, 2003, 10:08 p.m.

points to consider or excuses - not all riders are on top of their game everyday
-jet lag
- the incredible results of the (not very well internationally known 'cept a few) aussies in…..Oz. hmmmmM?
- that damn smoke really affect us healthy canadians

You mention that perhaps Cdns didn't do so well because not so many hucks. from that photo of ?grant allen? hucking off that main launch - that looks like one of the biggest things I have ever seen. Not to mention Tyler K is one of best Red Bull guys on skinnies I have ever seen. (ridiculator)

I think that Odriscoll (sp) or something won that event you ask about.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Jan. 26, 2003, 11:48 p.m.

no the aussies didn't get to practise before the race everyone got one day for parctise dont try and make that an excuse for us turding all over the canadians :D no offence to any canadians but we all know what happened
:P

Team Dans a whining bitch ;)

Jan. 26, 2003, 11:50 p.m.

Isn't a "Freeride Race" a contradiction in itself ???
And even more if the course is designed….?;)

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 27, 2003, 12:20 a.m.

A "Freeride race" may be a contradiction, but its the best that corporate america/ canada can do to put our sport in a box that they can sell. And if I get to see some pros get successful its worth it

Check out my Site It's updated~ mikeyanderson.com

Jan. 27, 2003, 1:18 a.m.

Originally posted by feelmybrainwaves
A "Freeride race" may be a contradiction, but its the best that corporate america/ canada can do to put our sport in a box that they can sell. And if I get to see some pros get successful its worth it

True.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 27, 2003, 1:44 a.m.

I'm happy the Aussies did well. We don't have a patent on free riding.

The more people who get into the sport, the better it is for all of the people who are into mountain biking. We'll see better and faster progression in various areas, such as equipment.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 27, 2003, 2:18 a.m.

Originally posted by thewwkayaker
**So why was the results of the Rampage giving the winner (and runner ups) the nod of best freeriders? Yet the same riders who won "best freeriders" weren't in the top 3 in the Ride competition?

As much as I'd love to say that we have the best freeriders in BC, based on this competition (Redbull Ride), I'd say the Aussies rule here (unless someone wants to claim that the Aussies had more time to practice the course - but is that true?). True Wade wasn't in the race but other than Thomas no other Canadian was even in the top 10 no less the top 3 (and Cedric beat Thomas).

These two paragraphs sicken me.

TUFF will be like the time you went to the candy store and everything was on sale, except better.

Jan. 27, 2003, 2:43 a.m.

The only advantage the aussies had was that they grew up on that type of terrain.

Jet lag really isn't that much of a factor if you are tough and sleep it off.

Jan. 27, 2003, 4:40 a.m.

aussies didnt have any more time to practice the course then the other competitors did, it was opend for only training and comp day.

and for the jetlag. most of the int. riders came over a week or 2 earlier and rode in other states (such as South oz:D) and they were allowd to arrive in jindy a few days b4 the event to compensate for jetlag.

i think the redbull ride/rampage is all about fun. from what i saw when i was at the ride, all the riders were having fun, mixing together, and just having a pure fun time. im sure they all wanted to win the $6000 first prize, but fun was a big factor too. so lets not get in an argument about whos better and whos not, leave that to the DH racers:rolleyes:

Dan

IM BACK!!!!!
Letoy3, Sherman Sliders, CK Steelset headset, profile cranks, protaper bars, blackspire chaindevice, mag30's….etc, etc.

Jan. 27, 2003, 8:11 a.m.

Personally I could care less about the Red Bull stuff, I'd be willing to bet some of the best freeriders in the world don't even compete. Not taking anything away from Wade or anyone else for that matter, but I still think there is some great talent out there who probably would just rather ride to ride.

It's not the Speed that Kills, It's the sudden Stops.

Jan. 27, 2003, 8:19 a.m.

To me the red bull Ride is a much larger display of skill and what freeriding is all about, it has drops, jumps, wall rides!!!! and shore-like components too. to me the red bull ride is totaly better than the rampage…. go thomas go

CHRINN