Freeride in Maui, Hawaii

Feb. 4, 2005, 1:54 p.m.

So, Mrs. Dude got herself a promotion , and as part of that promotion the client is flying us out to Maui in April. Now, I'm thinking, there must be a freeride scene in Maui, considering there are mountains.

Has anyone ever had the experience, or know where I'd start to do some research and start making contacts?

Thanks in advance!

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

Feb. 4, 2005, 2:12 p.m.

Check back in the threads here - there was some stuff about riding on maui in the past

Years ago I was over and we rode from the top of Haleakala volcano back down to Kihei, but I hear that's a no go any more as landowners have got a bit more control over the area…

The other options were riding some of the pineapple plantations as they provided for some sweet gap jumps every 100 or so yards..

I packed up my bike in a big strong bike box and packed my clothes around it for protection - made it my one piece of luggage and they didn't charge me extra.

I think the big island has some better riding - they filmed some old footage for Real Action Pictures and some other vids on the park where they filmed lots of Jurassic Park…

You should have fun there but watch out for the thorns - you'll need some strong tires to protect against flats there
almost as strong as nails they puncture right through most tires.. and lava rock is pretty rough on your shoes and tires.

Have fun.

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Feb. 4, 2005, 2:16 p.m.

Good to know, and thanks for the tip on the packing!

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

Feb. 4, 2005, 2:17 p.m.

http://www.cratercycleshawaii.com/ [HTML_REMOVED]-- be visiter #640….

They appear an official supplier to the Whistler Blackcomb Mountain Bike Park!!!! (or maybe that's just the 'island way')

Feb. 4, 2005, 7:25 p.m.

Check out the Collective. Some of the riding is from Maui, and I believe one of the scenes has the name of the place there riding at on the sign in the background.

"The Attention Deficit Disorder Association's Book of Wild Animals of
Western Eur- Hey! Let's Go Ride Our Bikes!"

Check out my pipes at www.thomasjlipspipeworks.wordpress.com

Feb. 6, 2005, 9:59 a.m.

ive been to every island there and from what ive seen i think maui would have the best ridable terrain

Feb. 6, 2005, 10:35 a.m.

there was a guy here from hawaii that biked big time. hokomoko or somthing? team IHOP

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

Feb. 6, 2005, 12:16 p.m.

This might help you out, http://www.dhhawaii.com

Feb. 6, 2005, 5:36 p.m.

wow they got some dope frickin dh bikes there. haha

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

Feb. 6, 2005, 5:57 p.m.

Humber Jangard or something is from there.