Freeride

Jan. 30, 2013, 9:13 a.m.

Rocky could not have spun that gaff out better if they had planned it. They are still getting mileage from the Froriders. Cannondale? Not so much.

The term came from ski racing where racers did drills, trained gates or went free skiing. To me it just means unstructured fun riding as opposed to structured training.

However it became something else and it is very ironic that initially freeriding was what a number of folks said they did because they didn't like to race because that mostly involved XC and they sucked at that. They also said they didn't like the competitive atmosphere of the racing scene. Freeriding was so, well, free. Next thing you known they have freeride competitions. We humans are so goofy sometimes.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Jan. 30, 2013, 1:53 p.m.

Blast from Freerides past.

One of the many reason I would never ride a Crackanfail.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Jan. 30, 2013, 1:58 p.m.

One of the many reason I would never ride a Crackanfail.

Are they even around now? They where the most giant pieces of shit forever when I started riding (12 years ago) and had the worst reputation that nico and anne caroline couldn't even save!

Clunking is for retards.

Jan. 30, 2013, 6:28 p.m.

bring back stair gaps…. that'll get freeride going again!!!!!

the real truth is, "freeride" hasn't changed much anywhere else except for the north shore. Mostly because skinnies have gone away and 6" bikes took over

Jan. 30, 2013, 9:53 p.m.

Rampage is good because they send the shit out of huge stuff and some of the guys actually find their own lines. Unofficial whip offs are good because you get to see people get steezy as fuck and far more sideways than you will ever be. Not to mention they are pretty chill. DH world cup on the other hand is only fun to watch when people like Fairclough are keeping it stylish in my opinion. I guess what a lot of it boils down to for me is the vibe. 6" bikes and epic rides have their days, but they aren't nearly as relaxing as rolling over to some neighbor hood dirt jumps in the evening for a quick session.

On the other hand, sometimes you just have to kick it old school… with something like a stair rail gap on a heavy ass hardtail (unfortunately this one has no monster T attached haha).

:bandit:
10 ?