Jan. 27, 2013, 7:30 p.m.

Is it on its way back in?
I think it's making a come back.
Sending it is awesome… TLDPajamaRacerBoySuits not so much
We all know this is true.

:bandit:
10 ?

Jan. 27, 2013, 7:40 p.m.

The only time I pay to ride is when I go to whistler so I would say Free riding is quite popular on the north shore.

Jan. 27, 2013, 7:43 p.m.

I don't think it's making its way back. Freeride bikes are dying out, seems like it's mostly aggressive all mountain is taking over

Jan. 27, 2013, 8:05 p.m.

I don't think it's making its way back. Freeride bikes are dying out, seems like it's mostly aggressive all mountain is taking over

I agree with this. DH race style is still fun and somewhat popular but not nearly as practical and therefore prevalent as all mountain. Plus modern all mountain bikes can do amazing things on jumps and descents, meaning there's less of a need for purpose specific bikes.

Jan. 27, 2013, 8:32 p.m.

Pretty sure we just call freeride enduro nowadays

The term freeride has an association with wheelie drops off tall things, skinnies, big rock faces, etc. I reckon we "freeride" on the shore, but it's just not a marketable term to most cycling consumers as they don't ride that type of terrain. That's where "enduro" comes in, it's essentially toned down DH. Something designed to give the layman more access to the feeling of being a "racer", without the inherent-consequence or necessary-skill required to ride DH to the level that it is advertised at. Don't get me wrong, by no means am I saying Enduro is easy, but the way it's marketed is as something that is less elitest than downhilling. As well, the range of things that can be considered "enduro tracks" is quite broad, allowing the term to appeal to a mass audience, rather than the small, targeted markets of "XC", "DJ", "DH", etc.
Freeriding never died on the shore, and in a few other places I'm sure as well. That said, the term died in the industry mainly because of the elite attitude associated with it. You can't sell a product that is marketed as being for the elite to everyone. You need to market something by showing that EVERYONE has something to gain from it. The phenomena that is "Enduro" does that for people.
Enduro bikes and freeride bikes are the same thing now, enduro is just a better way of marketing them.

And back to the English Lang. Homework.

Jan. 27, 2013, 9:37 p.m.

If anyone ever hears me say that I ride "Aggressive All Mountain" you are welcome to repeatedly punch me in the face.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Jan. 27, 2013, 10:01 p.m.

I reckon

I reckon that spiel makes my head hurt.

Enduro is a RACING format. Not a style of riding.

Just go ride. Ride anything in any style on any bike you wish. Racing can and needs to be broken into some style categories, riding should just be riding.

Jan. 27, 2013, 10:16 p.m.

Here's freeriding in 2004, I sure as fuck don't have a vps anymore:lol:

Clunking is for retards.

Jan. 28, 2013, 12:26 p.m.

I always thought any kind of racing was not freeride - there is the fastest line and everyone is aiming for that with few exceptions. Same with Shore - off by an inch, ooooh, healing vibes bro.

Freeride is making a sweet pallet jump.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 28, 2013, 5:47 p.m.

Freeriding is exactly that, if you pay to ride you are not doing it right.

Jan. 28, 2013, 5:56 p.m.

Freeriding is exactly that, if you pay to ride you are not doing it right.

just gotta buy the latest $8k carbon bike every 2 seasons to keep it free though

Jan. 28, 2013, 6:02 p.m.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/205985/

Jan. 29, 2013, 12:01 a.m.

I thought freeriding was hitting some jumps, ripping down some trails, doing whatever you felt like? No stop watches no rules. I'd say that people do a lot of that.

Just because we aren't pedal kicking off a skinny to a flat landing doesn't mean freeriding is dead.

Jan. 29, 2013, 5:36 a.m.

I prefer to call it "black diamond" riding.

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 29, 2013, 7:40 a.m.

I did a lot of riding when I was younger but was away from the sport from 2004 - 2011. Coming back, things have definitely changed. In 04, we were hiking up for 1 hit wonders, hitting drops to flat and riding stair gaps. Now it seems the focus is more on flow and a continuous riding experience. I think the difference is that gravity biking has gone away from its extreme sport status. In 2004, we were "extreme" and needed a 45 lb. bike to do what we did. Now, a lot of what we used to do is stuff that normal people do and has become part of a riding experience that includes technical climbing and normal trail riding. Freeriding is associated with the extreme days. Now we just ride bikes.