found my stolen bike - let it go...

Sept. 16, 2010, 11:10 a.m.

What would you do?

Driving home yesterday to my place up at SFU and saw a group of guys going into the trails. One of them looked to be riding my old ironhorse 6.6. I pulled my car alongside him and told him and his buddies to pull over. My bike got stolen out of our bike lock room over a year ago and had a pretty big lock to go through.

Any way, After a quick inspection, it was obviously my bike. A few different upgraded parts to it and a paint job over the whole thing revealed it was. I told the kid and his friends that it was my stolen bike and where'd he get it. He said from a buddy who bought it off CList. He said he paid $400 for it and I said, "what did you think"? He was ready to give it back but I looked at the group of riders. They looked Native, all had pretty cheap looking bikes and gear but they were having fun in the rain. I already got insurance money from the stolen bike a long time ago and bought a kick ass bottle rocket. If I reported it, I probably would have had to return the insurance money. The bike as is, maybe would have been worth $800.

So I looked at the scared kid and said, "have fun with it."

Did I do the right thing? I'm positive the kid or his buddies didn't steal the bike. The thief came around again several months ago and got busted. I saw him and it was actually a healthy white-dude, construction worker type who had the original locks when he built the townhouses.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Sept. 16, 2010, 11:14 a.m.

Right thing I say.

Sept. 16, 2010, 11:17 a.m.

yea, the harm was done, and it sounds like teh kid was enjoying his ride..

always a risk buying from CL when its used gear i suppose..

good Karma your way J.

Sept. 16, 2010, 11:18 a.m.

Yeah you did the right thing, did you get 800 from insurance or more? If more then you got a deal.

nobody is this dumb.

Sept. 16, 2010, 11:39 a.m.

I have already called the cops on you. This is wrong beyond belief and I am appalled.

Also, how's the family? Haven't seen you guys in ages - we should totally get together before the winter!

viperfunk.com

Sept. 16, 2010, 11:40 a.m.

Insurance company will not take back a paid claim. You would have first right of refusal to buy your old bike back at a discounted price (sometimes almost for nothing). Happened to me once. But I got it back off the bugger that stole it and it was a bike that could not be replaced.

Sounds like you did the right thing to me though.

Sept. 16, 2010, 11:40 a.m.

What would you do?

Driving home yesterday to my place up at SFU and saw a group of guys going into the trails. One of them looked to be riding my old ironhorse 6.6. I pulled my car alongside him and told him and his buddies to pull over. My bike got stolen out of our bike lock room over a year ago and had a pretty big lock to go through.

Any way, After a quick inspection, it was obviously my bike. A few different upgraded parts to it and a paint job over the whole thing revealed it was. I told the kid and his friends that it was my stolen bike and where'd he get it. He said from a buddy who bought it off CList. He said he paid $400 for it and I said, "what did you think"? He was ready to give it back but I looked at the group of riders. They looked Native, all had pretty cheap looking bikes and gear but they were having fun in the rain. I already got insurance money from the stolen bike a long time ago and bought a kick ass bottle rocket. If I reported it, I probably would have had to return the insurance money. The bike as is, maybe would have been worth $800.

So I looked at the scared kid and said, "have fun with it."

Did I do the right thing? I'm positive the kid or his buddies didn't steal the bike. The thief came around again several months ago and got busted. I saw him and it was actually a healthy white-dude, construction worker type who had the original locks when he built the townhouses.

You obviously knew from the start he wasn't the thief and you got covered by the insurance. Sounds like the kid just didn't know and would have been an innocent victim himself had you reported it. I think what you did shows theirs good people after all in this world and your a good man.

Once the insurance company pays out for a replacement the stolen bike no longer belongs to you anyways. And no they don't ask for the money back or give you your old stolen bike back. So in the end you did the right thing.

Cheers

Sept. 16, 2010, 11:44 a.m.

I'm on the fence on this one. On one hand you might be promoting a healthy pastime foe someone who otherwise might not be able to afford it. On the other hand you're also providing some positive reinforcement for purchasing obviously stolen goods. People turning a blind eye and buying obviously stolen bikes are as much a part of the problem as the assholes who steal them.

That said, it was a character move to let it slide. Props for that, I don't know if I'd have the restraint you showed.

iforonewelcome.com

Yeah, I guess you did the right thing. Especially since the white construction dude got busted the second time around. Still kind of a shitty situation all around though.
=/

Wrong. Always.

Kudos for doing the right thing.

Sept. 16, 2010, 11:45 a.m.

complicated issue bike theft and associated sales, but i definitely respect the way you handled the situation. + trail karma

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 16, 2010, 11:57 a.m.

yeah, i didn't want to encourage theft - hey, you can buy a stolen bike and get away with it! But then i'd have a bike worth about $700, I end up selling it for maybe less and then feel bad that the kid has nothing and might have a sour taste in his mouth when it comes to mtb.

All I know is if I see him again on the hill I will MAKE him air higher and go faster because he OWES it to me to become a ripper.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Sept. 16, 2010, 11:59 a.m.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 16, 2010, 12:23 p.m.

shoulda at least got some salmon outta the deal . . .

Sept. 16, 2010, 12:28 p.m.

If the kid was sorry, scared and ready to give it back, I think you did the right thing.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"