Follow-up work on Cypress - Oct 17

Oct. 18, 2009, 9:35 p.m.

looks goods guys. in the future i think it would be a good idea to not use cribbing on flat sections tho. once the limestone packs down the trail surface will be below the top of the cribbing and it will trap water on the trail. instead, just simply rake up small mounds of the organic layer to act as cribbing and retain the limestone until it packs down. this way the water will always be able to drain off the trail bed.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 18, 2009, 10:01 p.m.

The water will come off the trail along with the rock crush if you use that method. Ideally we would have armoured the surface a quarter inch or more above the level of the crib logs to allow for settling, but that is way too much work for a trail this long. Also, it was necessary to keep the rock crush contained to avoid spillage in the sensitive old growth forest, especially with all the running water that is near the trail. There may be minor pooling in the future, but nothing like what is was before!!!! (see Alan's pics)

Oct. 18, 2009, 10:18 p.m.

The water will come off the trail along with the rock crush if you use that method. Ideally we would have armoured the surface a quarter inch or more above the level of the crib logs to allow for settling, but that is way too much work for a trail this long. Also, it was necessary to keep the rock crush contained to avoid spillage in the sensitive old growth forest, especially with all the running water that is near the trail. There may be minor pooling in the future, but nothing like what is was before!!!! (see Alan's pics)

once the limestone packs down it will pretty much stay put, there will be very minimal loss of the limestone. i agree that crowning the trail above the cribbing is not worth the time or effort involved. and that section of trail is not what i'd call sensitive old growth, you need to go the other side of the xc ski trails for that.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 18, 2009, 10:32 p.m.

Yeah, if the project wasn't so political that could be a good way to go. Hopefully the geotex wrapped around the logs will keep the settling to a minimum. Plus, we will top it up next year after we see how much compaction the snow causes over the winter. We had the human rock crush compacter Lee Lau working on stamping it down as well as he could! The sensitive old growth comment was just thrown in for good 'ol PC purposes :earth: Let's just hope that West Van Parks recognizes the value that mountain biking brings to the community.

Oct. 18, 2009, 10:47 p.m.

Tx for the hot soup and food andy and Different Bikes. Tell Moira the soup was like a hug for the tummy.

Hey Alan, can you ask Andy to get the recipe for that soup? It was great!

Oct. 18, 2009, 10:49 p.m.

Alan told me that the crushed rock isn't limestone; maybe granite?

The duff in there is probably about 2 feet thick, you can feel the spongyness (sp?) as you walk on it.

Oct. 19, 2009, 6:30 a.m.

Hey Alan, can you ask Andy to get the recipe for that soup? It was great!

I'll ask the multi-talented Mo (she also does all things financial behind the shops) for the recipe and PM it. I just did the veggie cutting under strict instructions. It was traditional Italian Minestrone (we're not italian but who doesn't love italian food?) Glad everyone liked it, awesome work on a nasty day folks!

Andy at DB

www.differentbikes.ca
North Vancouver | West Vancouver | Vancouver Broadway |

Oct. 19, 2009, 8:03 a.m.

once the limestone packs down it will pretty much stay put, there will be very minimal loss of the limestone. i agree that crowning the trail above the cribbing is not worth the time or effort involved. and that section of trail is not what i'd call sensitive old growth, you need to go the other side of the xc ski trails for that.

90% of the cribbing is angled with the slope, which will probably accomplish the same thing that crowning it would have. I don't think it will be much of an issue.

The best way to do it would have been to fill the cribs with rocks, but that would have been way too much work for that length of trail. There are not really any rocks on site to use, it all would have had to been brought in and transported down the trail (time/resource consuming).

Fun time in the rain, that's the best time to be trail building if you ask me!

Oct. 19, 2009, 10:21 a.m.

90% of the cribbing is angled with the slope, which will probably accomplish the same thing that crowning it would have. I don't think it will be much of an issue.

The best way to do it would have been to fill the cribs with rocks, but that would have been way too much work for that length of trail. There are not really any rocks on site to use, it all would have had to been brought in and transported down the trail (time/resource consuming).

Fun time in the rain, that's the best time to be trail building if you ask me!

yeah i was gonna suggest rocks to but i know there's not enough to be found in that area. just a suggestion for the future as i've how puddles develop with the cribbing. there's a few spots on my trail that have that done and i'm planning to take the cribbing out now that the trail is bedded in.

i like working in the rain too. dirt packs better and you can instantly tell if your drainage is working. i got lucky on sunday as the rain on seymour was very light.

Ellen Langer