Flow Trails Suck

Oct. 24, 2012, 9:55 p.m.

skinnies get in the way of a good trail

you shut your mouth.

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 24, 2012, 10:30 p.m.

I pretty much stopped reading MBA the first time they railed against DH bikes. Plus, I
didn't see any articles that related to what I liked to do. It's a shame they have a large
readership. And, that readership has no idea they have such a bias…kind of like Fox news
people.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Oct. 26, 2012, 12:19 p.m.

That MBA excerpt is bizarre! Blaming bike tech is idiotic. The problem lies with the rider. I have two main points regarding my opinion on this matter:

- It is the responsibility of the rider to keep his speed and awareness in check on any multi-use and multi-direction trail.

- A prudently built trail is designed to have a 'natural speed' that makes sense with upcoming turns, visibility, etc. The experienced trailbuilders already do this by incorporating trail features designed to slow riders down where needed. Whistler (mostly) does this with the size of their jumps varying with the run-in.

I strongly believe more segregation between trails would actually be a good thing - either more bike/hike specific trails (and direction specific trails, though not required in most cases on shore bike trails). Kind of like Bobsled being one-way. Bike trails make crappy hiking trails and vice versa. It's also a lot safer. I think the loss in volume of options is more than offset by the increased safety and discipline-specific trail qualities. Multi-purpose trails of course still have their place but these trails are not for shralping.

Oct. 31, 2012, 10:39 a.m.

Having spent some time riding in the states. It seems like the large majority of people are on 29ers, riding trails that have very little technical challenge. Yes I know that statement is a bit broad, but a large amount of the riding is that way. So for me, the MBA article is not surprising and it also doesn't surprise me that they have such a large following.

Beyond that, I agree 100% with the below statement:

mai too scents werth:

"flow" is really about smooth transitions or progression between trail sections. what's happening on those sections is really irrelevant - it's all about how they're linked up.

Having a skinny at the end of a high speed straight section is a great way to destroy flow. Having that same skinny after another lower speed, likely technical section may work as the person just rolls into it without having to slam on the binders.

Nov. 1, 2012, 1:50 p.m.

The shore needs a trail like this.

An advanced version of Bobsled if you will.

Nov. 1, 2012, 2:25 p.m.

As a mainly XC rider (closest downhill place to me is several hrs away up in michigan) i would tell MBA to fuck off and let folks ride whatever the hell they want…. Do i NEED a 150mm marz fork on a full susser to ride xc? Fuck no….does it make it more fun not having to worry about roots and casing the jumps we do have? Yep….shit ton more fun…. And that to me is what MTB is all about….getting out to HAVE FUN…..weather its just a slow ride thru the woods or barreling down the side of a mountain at crazy fast speeds, we are fuckin having fun… Start throwing all these restrictions on the sport and its not fun any more….

Perfect example…paintball…not sure how thats foing by the rest of yall but in chicago its dead…. Too many people that didnt have the discernment to not shoot people 30+ times just cuz they have a fast marker….then they start capping the rate of fire more and more and more til my markers that can shoot fast are obsolete because i CANT shoot fast….if i do i would get kicked out…. So paintball becaune no fun since i ws being handicapped because some idiots cant use thier head… I played semi pro PB For sevearl years, but all the shit rules i just quit because it wasnt fun… Thats what will happen to MTB if they try this shit….

Nit that that had anything to do with the OPs post….lol but i cant really comment on that due to not knowing the trail or circumstances under which the modifications are being done…

Nov. 1, 2012, 5:04 p.m.

The shore needs a trail like this.

Nov. 1, 2012, 5:25 p.m.

another angry local…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ba98kojKpc

Nov. 1, 2012, 5:36 p.m.

+1

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Nov. 1, 2012, 7:32 p.m.

another angry local…

And I bet you ride a purple freaky bike too, eh?

;)

Nov. 1, 2012, 8:25 p.m.

And I bet you ride a purple freaky bike too, eh?

;)

Yep, trek 720.

I find it funny that with so many trails and mountains available to NS bikers, that the
thought of a flowy trail like the one in the link would upset so many people. I didn't know
whistler had bike trails open in the winter either.

I was just making a comparison to the one really stupid thing that is rampant in the surf community
is also becoming prevalent in the mountain biking community. I see no difference between
the MBA's attitude about DH and the middle finger to Whistler hatred here. I guess I'm
just not that cool. Just food for thought.