Fivers

April 27, 2018, 10:52 a.m.

Fantastically fun race last night. Seemed even better organized than last year, despite the crowds. Limiting the number of riders and holding the after party at the Legion worked really well I think (except for the people who got turned away). Huge thanks to Brian and everyone else involved. Props to the Legion staff, they treated us very well.

April 27, 2018, 4:04 p.m.

This is the fist time we ever had to turn people away. 

Beyond 200 people and it's just too many people. Time to get people through the course and through the lines at apres...beyond 200 registered riders and it doesn't work in our format. 

I am bummed to have to turn people away, usually the first two of the season are the biggest turn out, we shouldn't have issues with the rider cap beyond them.

April 30, 2018, 5:58 p.m.

Agreed! I forgot to put my 'race head' on though....

May 2, 2018, 3:24 p.m.

Hi Brian, I just bought a membership, chip and prepaid for the rest of the races. I presume I line up with the commoners next race and can pick up the chip etc. or is I mailed out?

After that can I just go straight to the top of stage one? or do you need to scan in at the base?

May 3, 2018, 1:38 p.m.

I think you still have to hand in your waiver

May 4, 2018, 10:26 a.m.

You line up with the pre-paid / have chip and we'll give you your new chip. 

Everyone needs to stop at the sign in table at the start of each Fiver to "tag in" and again at the end to "tag out". So no just heading off to the start of stage one then heading off home. 

The way the system works the little blue units write a each stage start and finish time on your chip, we then scan the chip at the end to get your times. If you don't come back to the timing table at the finish we don't have your times and we still think you are lost in the forest as we have not tagged you out.

June 8, 2018, 11:20 a.m.

Another sold out event!

Pretty fun course. First stage burns the legs, second stage burns the arms, third stage burns and confuses the mind (seems a lot of people went off course).

Just looked at the times and my time on the third stage is definitely not accurate (says it took 7 minutes, and I was not one of those who went down the ascent trail), but otherwise no complaints. Hope everyone else had a good time.

June 8, 2018, 11:49 a.m.

That was a blinder!
Me and three other riders ended up going off on our own special race down dreamweaver and had to hike and climb back. Looks like we took the skid road connector to St Marys by mistake, ahaha.
So much good dirt, good lines and good times!
Huge respect to the guy pedalling the YT Tues out of the saddle up to seventh

June 8, 2018, 1:55 p.m.

Posted by: fun-house

Another sold out event!

Pretty fun course. First stage burns the legs, second stage burns the arms, third stage burns and confuses the mind (seems a lot of people went off course).

Just looked at the times and my time on the third stage is definitely not accurate (says it took 7 minutes, and I was not one of those who went down the ascent trail), but otherwise no complaints. Hope everyone else had a good time.

There needs to be some more signage in the lower Dreamweaver/Ascent trail area - every single time I've ridden Dreamweaver I've taken at least one wrong turn (even after stopping to check the map). There's a couple confusing intersections - would be nice if they just had simple signs that said:

Climb -->

<-- Descend

Last edited by: Bull_Dozer on June 8, 2018, 1:56 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 8, 2018, 10:49 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Posted by: fun-house

Another sold out event!

There needs to be some more signage in the lower Dreamweaver/Ascent trail area - every single time I've ridden Dreamweaver I've taken at least one wrong turn (even after stopping to check the map). There's a couple confusing intersections - would be nice if they just had simple signs that said:

Climb -->

<-- Descend

Agreed! That is an easy spot to mess up. As I also demonstrated during last night’s Fiver. My track record for making it all the way down Dreamweaver without a wrong turn is poor.

Awesome course last night. Racing Oil Can is the best!

Last edited by: D_C_ on June 8, 2018, 10:54 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 8, 2018, 10:59 p.m.

Actually just compared my print slip and the first two stages don't match the online times either. Anyone else?

June 9, 2018, 10:17 a.m.

So was the last race full? Did they turn people away? Wanna do one so I can claim the DFL crown

June 11, 2018, 1:45 p.m.

We have had to turn people away at the first 4 Fivers. If you show up before 6pm you should be good to get a spot.

June 22, 2018, 7:58 a.m.

So much fun last night. Rowdy course, but I really enjoyed it. Thanks to Lynn Valley Bikes for the excellent food. Sure hope the guy who crashed on pipeline is OK.

July 3, 2018, 10:11 p.m.

Not sure how excited I am about Pingu/Pangor this week.