Fivers

April 27, 2017, 11:39 p.m.

Hey everyone, let's trade stories from our Fiver adventures. Post stories, link to photos, whatever.

Raced my first one tonight since I did one in 2015 on my DH bike (fun, interesting, but not to be repeated). I was happy with my run and times, although I'm not sure where they land versus everyone else. Warden climb is a beast when the timer is on, pretty sure I could taste my heart as it beat its way out of my chest. Stage two was long. I know I kept wondering if I had missed a turn;I hadn't but I know lots of others did. Stage 3 was the most fun I've had on that trail. I had a great time and will definitely be at the next one.

Saw someone walking around after pushing a bike with a seatpost and some seatrails but no saddle. Hope he was alright.

PS - What a crazy turn out. I saw on social media someone said 280 people, can someone confirm?

PPS - Props to whoever was DJing from the truck as we registered. I feel like most time cool music and biking seem incompatible, but that was great.

Last edited by: fun-house on April 27, 2017, 11:40 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 28, 2017, 8:11 a.m.

Great time out there. I heard the 280 number, but then someone quickly corrected to over 300.

I'll definitely bring a jacket next time. Got a pretty good chill going near the end there, plus I really cooled down waiting in line for the 2nd stage.

Got an overall time of 12:03, shoulda pre rode floppy! I rarely ride that one!

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

April 28, 2017, 9 a.m.

good times for sure, and ridiculous value. great turnout; cool to see the local race scene thriving. big thanks to all involved in making it happen!

April 28, 2017, 9:43 a.m.

how long do the results usually take?

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

April 28, 2017, 10 a.m.

Yeah I got pretty cold too, so I split after eating my black bean burger. Did anything else happen? Door prizes or winners announcement or anything?

April 28, 2017, 11:25 a.m.

Huge thanks to Brian, trail volys, NSMBA,  and everyone else involved in helping to pull this off. I am sure there were people up very late last night cleaning up after us.  Great (and hard) course and tonnes of fun.

April 28, 2017, 12:19 p.m.

Results:

http://archive.nsmba.ca/liveresults/show.php?cls=1

looks like 30 -31 seconds was added to everybodies times?

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

April 28, 2017, 3:31 p.m.

Stage 1 times are corrected to the actual time. Last night the tag out beeper at the top of stage one was not time synced with the start beeper. It was off by 31 seconds. The posted results have fixed this. So your ticket from last night was 31 seconds short from the actual time. Thank kperras for finding the error (the guy who also broke his seat as mentioned above), he came in and tagged out with a 32 second time for the whole Wardens climb...unless he was e-doping that wasn't possible. 

Actual turn out last night was 250 riders. That 280 number came an estimate I had (tag count + some buffer + vollies + sweeps) to make sure Obsession had enough food. But it sure felt like 300 at some points.

We are working on getting the results back up in the same format as last year with stage times. In moving to our new site we've upgraded to a more current php and some mysql code needs to be re-written to mysqli (or PDO), didn't realize this earlier. If any mysql guru wants to donate some time to help email me [email protected]

Thanks to everyone that came out. 

Brian

April 28, 2017, 9:09 p.m.

Started off with a banger!  Great times!  So glad that sweep gets to push up Warden.

April 28, 2017, 10:27 p.m.

Hi, it was fun and awesome for a first fiver 🤘🏼

Just question about timing ( even if I got the point of everyone seeing an addition of 31sec, what does "Time Loss" means at the bottom of the receipt ? Some people have it some don't ...

Cheers

WE DESIGN I WE BUILD = YOU ENJOY

April 30, 2017, 3:28 p.m.

I'm glad I paid the $60 to prepay for all the races and own the chit.  I'll never have to wait in line again to sign in.   Even during the gong show that was the line up when I got there Christine very efficiently got everyone singing waivers and then Brian picked everyone out of line who bought the chit so we could get right to racing.  In the future I just go to stage one and start racing.  (And the chit is good for as long as they use them)  It's the vip access card to the fivers.  Best $20 I'll spend on biking this year. 

http://nsmba.ca/fivers/

May 1, 2017, 3:45 p.m.

FYI you still need to stop at the sign in table on your way up to Stage 1, but it's just a tap to clear your card and you get to jump the line. 

The "time lost" is something you can ignore, the timing system we use comes from Orienteering, it's somehow calculated in the system comparing your times to other times, I don't really know what it's doing. But it's irrelevant.

May 11, 2017, 12:52 p.m.

Tonight in the rain. See ya there, with goggles.

May 12, 2017, 6:11 p.m.

I had a good time. Glad rain held off for the most part. Didn't do too well cause I went off course in Stages 1 and 3 due to confusing taping. I guess I'm not as familiar with the trails as I'd like to be.

Anything exciting happen at the apres?

April 27, 2018, 9:44 a.m.

Fivers are back! Yesterday was a blast (well, except for one stage), and it seemed like a massive turnout. Have they ever had to turn people away before?

Saw some people taking photos, post em if you got em.