Fire Hazard level on the rise - Shore closure possible?

June 3, 2009, 9:08 p.m.

Not yet, but don't be surprised if this happens. Was up there tonight and it's scary how dry it is. Never seen it that dry before. Better get some rain PDQ - and a hell of a lot more than the 1-3mm forecasted for next Mon/Tues.

Be careful up there with your smokes. Wouldn't take much to get it going.

edit: changed title since people are starting to not read the first post

June 3, 2009, 9:36 p.m.

Yeah went for a ride tonight and I can't believe how much it's dried out over here too. Already slippery and dry! Even the creekbeds were dry.

June 3, 2009, 9:40 p.m.

We just got back and one of the group was a forester and that is what he remarked. Even the normal wet trails are bone dry and I have never seen the trails that dusty.

Please do not smoke anywhere near the forests!

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

June 3, 2009, 9:49 p.m.

I'm amazed how fast it's all drying out. Going to have to get some more riding in. Then I guess Whistler..

:england:

June 4, 2009, 8:01 a.m.

no worries, will rain on weekend!

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

June 4, 2009, 8:08 a.m.

skip smoking, please don't use your brakes…. those suckers can get hot if your as bad at riding as myself..

Also according to environment Canada its not supposed to cloud over till Monday with a 40% of rain..

June 4, 2009, 9:14 a.m.

Let's not get carried away here. It's dry but not that dry. Saying "I've never seen it this dry" suggests to me that this is your first summer here. We almost always get a two or three week spell of dry weather. Ususlly May is pretty good and June get's damp. Then the first week or two of July becomes dry until mid to late August. September is often dry too. The heat is the unusual thing this year.

But you are right to advise people not to smoke. It's stupid anyway.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

June 4, 2009, 9:24 a.m.

I'd disagree that it isn't that dry….last night we were breaking off some branches hanging into a trail, healthy, needle filled ones, not dead, and they snapped off like twigs…..it's really really dry out there and this is on a trail that only melted out within the past 2 weeks….

June 4, 2009, 9:48 a.m.

Surely they must have closed the shore in the recent past? We've had closures on the island in the last three years. Can't remember if it was a single occurrence or not.

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

June 4, 2009, 9:48 a.m.

Currently in high Fire Danger, soon to be in Extreme.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

June 4, 2009, 10:33 a.m.

Let's not get carried away here. It's dry but not that dry. Saying "I've never seen it this dry" suggests to me that this is your first summer here. We almost always get a two or three week spell of dry weather. Ususlly May is pretty good and June get's damp. Then the first week or two of July becomes dry until mid to late August. September is often dry too. The heat is the unusual thing this year.

But you are right to advise people not to smoke. It's stupid anyway.

Have you been up there lately and looked at the situation first hand? I'm not talking about riding/walking the trails, go off the beaten path and check it out. I was at the top of Fromme where there is still two feet of snow in places. Dry as a bone in the clear areas. The underbrush crackles with every step. Dig down a few inches, and there's still no moisture.

I believe the last closure was back in August of 2003? Tom's image above and the long range forecast leads me to believe a closure is imminent.

June 4, 2009, 10:43 a.m.

I believe the last closure was back in August of 2003? Tom's image above and the long range forecast leads me to believe a closure is imminent.

Yup 2003/2004 was the last time.

But this year is for sure different. In 30 days we went from 7th being under snow and trails still full of snow/mud/water to now, bone dry with a possible closure of the local mountains.

That is a first for me.

At least the trails will get a nice long break from the regular traffic for 2009 :)

June 4, 2009, 10:44 a.m.

So…does that mean no mountain biking?

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

June 4, 2009, 10:48 a.m.

it depends on how bad it gets,… do they automatically shut the mountains down when the fire rating hits extreme or is that the next step after extreme?

June 4, 2009, 11:56 a.m.

It was closed a few years back. I thought it was more recent than 03 but it maight very well be 03. I was up last night. Still moisture in the ditches and i look to see if there is water for my dog to drink if I decide to take him out when it cools a bit. There are still some wet spots on Espresso. I hit a puddle. But yes it is very dry. Just not let's all panic it's tinder dry (nod head like a good newscaster here) out there. Fire hazard is high, not extreme. My recollection is that it needs to be rated extreme for a time period that I cannot recall before they close trails. I remember that last closure. Trees and bushes were dropping leaves it was so dry. That's not happening yet.

Don't sell the mountainbike for a road bike just yet guys.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.