extradite vandeman ?

June 3, 2010, 9:56 a.m.

And for your viewing pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzwYMn7fDrI[HTML_REMOVED]feature=player_embedded

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

June 3, 2010, 10:09 a.m.

Ah, the irony and hypocrisy of using violence to prove his views are better then everyone else's. Especially when you list violence as a peeve.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/mjv1

He's "passionate" about bicycling and reference librarians.

okaaaay….

June 3, 2010, 12:07 p.m.

Wow. Never saw this coming but I guess I should have.

I guess the good news is that this make take the wind out of his sails. I'm not fan of the US legal system but as far as I'm concerned a Pakistani jail would be too good for him.

June 3, 2010, 12:36 p.m.

He calls himself a Dr., and likes to use himself as a reference for papers that he writes. He says that, by definition, all MTBers are liars.

It was funny to follow his posts on usenet groups, but then he started posting about people that MTB. It's obvious that he's very neurotic, but his psychosis was (and is) scary.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 3, 2010, 11:34 p.m.

Awesome hair.

treezz
wow you are a ass

June 4, 2010, 12:16 a.m.

hi,

i just read the article about the arrest. before that, i thought only we have strange and dangerous people over here in austria (i live in tyrol - district in the west of our small country). there is a place near innsbruck where many moutainbikers go for a ride. there are also many walkers there and therefore also a lot of problems between those two groups.

last week one of the dangerous people had the good idea to put a wire across a trail. a 13 year old boy hit the wire but lukily he was not tall enough to be seriously injured (sounds strange but thats how the newspaper reportet about it - it is written in german so the link might not be of much use, but anyway here it is):

http://www.tt.com/csp/cms/sites/tt/Nachrichten/771865-6/draht-riss-13-j%C3%A4hrigen-vom-fahrrad.csp

the good thing was, that the boy was not injured. he is the son of a well known local sportler and so the story made it in the newspapers.

hopefully somebody can stop this kind of dangerous people

June 4, 2010, 7:11 a.m.

We should all be happy that this individual with serious issues chose to carry a saw and not something more lethal. This won't be the last we hear from him. A couple years in prison isn't going to soften his stance.

June 4, 2010, 7:32 a.m.

i hope he gets some needed help. for everyone's sake.

June 4, 2010, 8:19 a.m.

Yup, vandeman is a special kind of crazy. In his resume he says he likes the people he met in synanon, check out the wiki on this group: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synanon

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

June 4, 2010, 9:32 a.m.

Wow, he'd fit in well over here in the UK. People in London go out of their way to 'chase' cyclists off the roads, while the old ladies with umbrellas are trying to chase us back onto the road.

I'm so glad people are finally seeing his actions and attitude for what they are: dangerous.

I have confused my intentions with my abilities.

June 4, 2010, 10:47 a.m.

What a dangerously insane individual. The world of mountain biking is now a better place.

The S.F. Chron has many angry comments actually SUPPORTING his behavior! (several which were deleted discussing stringing 'fishing wire' up at neck level to take out bikers!) He's a dangerous guy and sadly, I bet he won't do much time for this, but one can hope.

June 4, 2010, 12:16 p.m.

I wrote our elected official to see if its possible that we can torture this guy. would love to see this asshole on all fours with a dog collar on. :)

:usa:

insert catchy phrase here.

June 4, 2010, 1:11 p.m.

The S.F. Chron has many angry comments actually SUPPORTING his behavior! (several which were deleted discussing stringing 'fishing wire' up at neck level to take out bikers!) He's a dangerous guy and sadly, I bet he won't do much time for this, but one can hope.

exactly, he's 'dangerous' not because he's an old man with an ice-axe (I mean really how many mtber's would really be threatened by that?) but because he stirs up shit and makes plays on other people's frustrations that trail use isn't just limited to hikers and walkers like it used to be before mt bikes came along. He won't do any time. In fact, this could be a case where any publicity is good publicity.

Of course, it goes both ways. How many wires at neck height have to be strung before bikers, often the majority of users on trails, become less 'welcoming' toward hikers.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

June 4, 2010, 1:26 p.m.

He looks like either Kenny or Spenny. I forget who is who. The shorter of the two.

I haven't looked into this guy, but what does anyone have against mountain bikers? Is it a trail damage on public lands kind of thing? Lame…they should put that effort towards ATV/snowmobile rednecks.

Wrong. Always.

June 4, 2010, 3:58 p.m.

I haven't looked into this guy, but what does anyone have against mountain bikers? Is it a trail damage on public lands kind of thing? Lame…they should put that effort towards ATV/snowmobile rednecks.

That's exactly the kind of attitude that's the problem. It is extremely common to have "level of technology" conflicts between wildland recreation users. Your intolerant attitude toward ATV and snowmobile users is exactly the same as Vandeman's attitude toward Mt. Bikers.

Everyone needs a place to enjoy their recreational activity. Some activities require separate areas, others are more conducive to shared use trails. Marginalizing groups only leads to increased conflict because of illegal use.