Expresso Smooth question

May 5, 2013, 5:16 p.m.

Checked out Expresso today and first off let me give props to everyone for the work thats been done thus far. When complete it is going to be a real fun trail.

I have some questions regarding Expresso Smooth. I came up to it and waffled this time but want to clean next time so I am running it through my mind.

When I was checking it out I noticed that the groove down it has a lot of rubber on it now. I was wondering if the technique to ride it requires the rear wheel locked up or if you can ride it without sliding. Is it a controlled descent down it or are you locked up and hanging on picking up speed until you hit the bottom. Trying to visualize what it's going to take to clean that feature.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

May 5, 2013, 5:50 p.m.

You shouldn't have any issue rolling into it with slight braking going on. Lots of grip on the rock even in the rain as it's fairly rough surfaced

Clunking is for retards.

May 5, 2013, 5:52 p.m.

As soon as you crest the face of the rock with the front tire shift your weight all the way back over your rear and lightly grab both (preferably more rear) brake(s) very lightly and roll your way through. Try not to grab a fistful a brake as you lose all control when the tire is locked. It'll be over before you know it and you'll have a big smile on your face.

Shed head!

May 5, 2013, 6:27 p.m.

I drag my brakes lightly through the roll in, slowing before the edge of the precipice, lower the front wheel over at an almost-stop, and then continue applying brakes all the way down. Most of the time there's a bit of skidding, but it's not fully locked up dragging the rear wheel.

flickr

May 5, 2013, 6:29 p.m.

And, it's not as steep as it looks ;)

flickr

May 5, 2013, 6:34 p.m.

Haha. Another.

flickr

May 5, 2013, 6:56 p.m.

Where does Expresso rate in terms of difficulty on the shore?

I've ridden Crinkum, Most of Ladies, Natural High, Neds, Corkscrew and pingu/pangor and looking for something slightly more difficult. Would expresso be a good step up?

May 5, 2013, 8:06 p.m.

It's in the wheelhouse. I'd say Ladies would be the next step after Expresso.

Can't wait to tap the TAP tomorrow morn before work!

May 5, 2013, 8:08 p.m.

I would say so… The end gets a little steeper and looser.

I'm no wizard of the Shore though, so you probably shouldn't take my word for it.

If you can handle the exit of Big Stupid, I'd say you ought to be able to handle Expresso.

Of course, it's all walkable if you chicken out, so go for it. Just look before you leap, as always…

May 5, 2013, 9:01 p.m.

Where does Expresso rate in terms of difficulty on the shore?

I've ridden Crinkum, Most of Ladies, Natural High, Neds, Corkscrew and pingu/pangor and looking for something slightly more difficult. Would expresso be a good step up?

Yes, Expresso would be a good choice. The only thing that somewhat challenging is the first 50m of trail, Expresso Smooth, and a steeper section 2/3 down the trail. Expresso is easier than Ladies.

May 5, 2013, 9:06 p.m.

A preview of the Expresso with some of the new work. Expresso Smooth @ 1:50 and the end.
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/279842/

May 5, 2013, 9:23 p.m.

It's been a couple years, but I just rolled into it today. It lines up perfectly with all the new work that has been done. The flat part after the corner at the bottom of the feature is still pretty soft (lost my front wheel off the side) so try and stay in the middle.

Some really neat features on the new sections below as well! It will be nice once the whole trail is done, the bottom section was really loose.

May 5, 2013, 10:17 p.m.

Thanks for all the info, and thanks for the vid carrot top!

This looks like exactly the type of trail I am looking for, I am so stoked to check this out soon!

May 6, 2013, 7:41 a.m.

Looks great, yes nice vid.

For whatever reason have never managed to roll the Expresso Smooth, but did get the one on UOC, which I understand to be more difficult.

I have rolled into Expresso Smooth quite a few times but never let go the brakes and actually roll through it. Perhaps this year it will fall for me.

May 6, 2013, 9:17 a.m.

Great replies thanks.

What other trail stunts would you equate Expresso Smooth too?

Some that come to my mind:

1. last rock/ramp on UOC
  2. rock on 7th right before log ride exit (bypass s-turn)
  3. a-frame on Ned's

Any others?

Looking at Morgman's first pic it doesn't look as steep as it does when you stand at the top and scope it out.