Ever build something and then not have the courage to ride it ?

Oct. 19, 2008, 10:23 p.m.

Well not me but whoever built this didn't ride it afterwards, can't think why.

I ride Bikes

Oct. 19, 2008, 11:35 p.m.

that is some of the finest 12 year old boy woodwork I have seen in a good spell. Actually, apologies to the 12 year olds out there; I think you guys do better than this.

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca

Oct. 19, 2008, 11:37 p.m.

I think we're creating a monster. :(
Sorry for the noisy camera phone pictures. Once it's finished, I might be too pussy to ride it. Especially while it's wet.

I get a good sense from the photos where the carcasses could be recovered from if you were going to try to ride that rock face when wet….

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca

Oct. 20, 2008, 12:45 a.m.

that is some of the finest 12 year old boy woodwork I have seen in a good spell. Actually, apologies to the 12 year olds out there; I think you guys do better than this.

I think they were about 16. There was some work done there before we started, but never finished, so we scrapped all the shifty woodwork and berms and started over with a different plan. Yesterday was mostly spent clearing windfall, garbage and collecting rocks, plus some basic framework and splitting.

Posted via Mobile Device

One of these is not like the others.

Oct. 20, 2008, 9:31 a.m.

Well not me but whoever built this didn't ride it afterwards, can't think why.

Isn't that trail named "rickety shit"?

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Oct. 20, 2008, 9:40 a.m.

Sorry for the noisy camera phone pictures.

Your horizon is off.

Oct. 20, 2008, 10:45 a.m.

that drop sure doesnt look 8feet. maybe a video will do more justice

JDM POWER!

Oct. 20, 2008, 11:25 a.m.

That looks sweet! Nice run out

For sure I've built stuff that I was scared to ride the first time. When you build it yourself, you still kinda see it as a bunch of sticks and rocks stuck together. Once you ride it a couple times, then you feel a little more confident that it works as a trail feature

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Oct. 20, 2008, 12:03 p.m.

Posted via Mobile Device

This is mostly not my work. Crazy nick is the builder and designer. I just help out. With that said, the location is "secret" until it's finished. The drop after the rock is about 8 feet vert, may 12 once you land. There will be a ladder roll if you need to roll it, a bypass beside it and a big structure to get onto it. After that berm I'm not sure of the plans. Bunch of old growth stuff we don't want to disturb.

i don't know if i'd call that location secret, but it's def nice to see someone taking advantage of it. have you guys thought about doing anything with the other rocks a little to the east of that one?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 20, 2008, 12:20 p.m.

that drop sure doesnt look 8feet. maybe a video will do more justice

Oh it'll be all of 8 feet, and your speed with be dictated by gravity coming down the face. You'll be deep into the tranny when you land.

We looked at that for a good few years while building up there.

Oct. 20, 2008, 1:39 p.m.

here is a pic of the rock that I took two years ago. it needed a lot of brightening, but it's all I can find.

the "8 foot drop" is at the bottom right.

last year I was thinking it would be nice to build a trail-gap going into a step-up on to the rock, jumping up the right side (west) of the rock and landing to the right of where those logs cross in the pic, in to the roll down^.

Disclaimer: the above text is in no way or form intended to harm you. if by any chance you are offended by it, please take a moment to Harden the F*** Up. thank you.

"Trust that little voice in your head that says, 'wouldn't it be interesting if…'; and then do it."
-Duane Michals

FOR SALE: NEW Small/med KBC Moto/ATV/MTB Helmets - $70!!!
WANTED: Argon cylinder! 55-125cf
also WANTED: SRAM Rear Derailleur. AND 2.35" 60a hard rubber MTB tire.

Oct. 20, 2008, 2:16 p.m.

Is the rock even rideable when it's wet? Looks pretty slimey.

Oct. 20, 2008, 3:32 p.m.

Those pics don't do it any justice. it's big!! and steep. Dave and I spent alot of time looking at that thing. You guys are gonna spend as much time cleaning up all the crap at the bottom of that as you would making the feature. Are you going to connect to the trail or make it a one hit wonder? it's pretty swampy there in the Winter.

Oct. 20, 2008, 3:59 p.m.

Is the rock even rideable when it's wet? Looks pretty slimey.

As long as you don't turn or touch the brakes, it should be fine. The landing/runout is all clear, those pictures were taken before we started the clearing. Bit of a shame about the wood near the landing, we were hoping to use it, but when we started bucking it, we opened a terrifying nest of flying insects.

We've been trying to think of ways to mark the rock so that you can aim for the rolldown if you're going slow. If you're going fast, you will air it and land on the transition.

As for if the trail will join up to that other trail that I won't mention right now, Probably. There are some major obstacles that we haven't thought through yet.

One of these is not like the others.

Oct. 20, 2008, 4:33 p.m.

As long as you don't turn or touch the brakes, it should be fine. The landing/runout is all clear, those pictures were taken before we started the clearing. Bit of a shame about the wood near the landing, we were hoping to use it, but when we started bucking it, we opened a terrifying nest of flying insects.

We've been trying to think of ways to mark the rock so that you can aim for the rolldown if you're going slow. If you're going fast, you will air it and land on the transition.

As for if the trail will join up to that other trail that I won't mention right now, Probably. There are some major obstacles that we haven't thought through yet.

hahaha - i've had the bug thing happen a couple times too. with some of the stumps in there you could possibly build a long bridge over the swamp, kinda like the old one on FB, but just build it a lot stronger.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer