Energy Bar Recipe

Dec. 15, 2008, 6:58 p.m.

I've got a great recipe. Its from the Whitewater Cooks cookbook by Shelley Adams - An amazing cook book from the Fresh Tracks Cafe at Whitewater in Nelson.

Whitewater Granola Bars

Ingredients:
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 tbsp vanilla
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup corn syrup
6 cups oats
1 cup toasted coconut
1 cup toasted sunflower seeds
1 cup toasted sesame seeds
2 cups chocolate chips (or 1 cup chocolate chips [HTML_REMOVED] 1 cup raisins)

In a skillet, toast coconut, sesame and sunflower seeds, set aside to cool. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, peanut butter, vanilla and brown sugar. Add corn syrup and then mix in remaining ingredients. Press into a greased 12x18 inch cookie sheet. Bake in a 350F oven for approx 20 mins or until golden brown. Let cool slightly and cut while still warm.

Yum! These are scrumptious and super easy to make.

2 cups of sugar, a cup of corn syrup and 2 cups of chocolate chips? Are you sure it doesn't need to be sweetened?

This is proper fuel for the rider who thinks that Fruit Loops are a decent breakfast.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Dec. 17, 2008, 8:07 a.m.

Maybe the recipe can be altered a bit - right now my breakfast consists of slightly boiled oats with a tsp salt. Cut in a bit of apple, banana and those pineapples - and KABOOM.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 18, 2008, 9:46 p.m.

2 cups of sugar, a cup of corn syrup and 2 cups of chocolate chips? Are you sure it doesn't need to be sweetened?

This is proper fuel for the rider who thinks that Fruit Loops are a decent breakfast.

it makes 36 2"x3" bars…learn to live a little.

ps. Fruit loops and beer is a fantastic breakfast.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 18, 2008, 10:17 p.m.

That's nothing. It's like a snack or appetizer for Lee Lau.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Dec. 19, 2008, 7:39 a.m.

Have you though of bring along homemade trails mix? If yoi can find a store that sells bulk, raw, unselted nuts and organic sulphur free fruit you can make a nice trail treat and you control the sugar and calories. Not only that but you are getting pure food that you body will digest easily and all the protein, carbs and fat you need on the trail.
My favourite: Raw almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, peanuts, dried papaya, pineapple,cranberries, blueberries and raisins (unsulphered thompson organic are awsome!)
Bulk items can be found at most health food stores, I think there is one on Lonsdale that has a pretty good selection.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Dec. 19, 2008, 7:47 a.m.

I find a shot of Whiskey really helps keep my hunger down. A smoke is good too.

Dec. 19, 2008, 10:19 a.m.

I made these last night (found recipe at http://www.recumbent-bikes-truth-for-you.com/honey-trail-mix-bars.html):

[HTML_REMOVED] 4 [HTML_REMOVED]#189; cups old fashioned rolled oats
[HTML_REMOVED] 1 cup flour
[HTML_REMOVED] 1 teaspoon baking soda
[HTML_REMOVED] 1 teaspoon cinnamon
[HTML_REMOVED] 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
[HTML_REMOVED] 2/3 cup butter, softened
[HTML_REMOVED] [HTML_REMOVED]#189; cup honey
[HTML_REMOVED] [HTML_REMOVED]#189; cup brown sugar, packed
[HTML_REMOVED] [HTML_REMOVED]#189; cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
[HTML_REMOVED] [HTML_REMOVED]#189; cup raisins
[HTML_REMOVED] [HTML_REMOVED]#189; cup dried cranberries
[HTML_REMOVED] [HTML_REMOVED]#189; cup sliced almonds
[HTML_REMOVED] [HTML_REMOVED]#189; cup shredded coconut

Directions: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a 9X15 inch pan. Combine the first four ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add vanilla, honey, and brown sugar. Beat with an electric mixer. Batter will be very heavy. Using a wooden spoon stir in remaining ingredients until well combined.

Press dough into prepared pan. Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Cut into bars and cool completely before removing from pan. I found it worked best to make bars that are only about 1/4" thick or they're too crumbly.

Dec. 19, 2008, 10:31 a.m.

I made these last night

Taste verdict?

If I had the energy I would make energy bars, some of the Clif bars that I have on hand for emergencies taste like such crap.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Dec. 19, 2008, 10:44 a.m.

Taste verdict?

Taste really good. Kind of like a crunchy oatmeal chocolate chip cookie.

They were very easy to make.

Dec. 19, 2008, 11:06 a.m.

Sweet, thanks.

Dec. 20, 2008, 6:03 p.m.

Have you though of bring along homemade trails mix? If yoi can find a store that sells bulk, raw, unselted nuts and organic sulphur free fruit you can make a nice trail treat and you control the sugar and calories. Not only that but you are getting pure food that you body will digest easily and all the protein, carbs and fat you need on the trail.
My favourite: Raw almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, peanuts, dried papaya, pineapple,cranberries, blueberries and raisins (unsulphered thompson organic are awsome!)
Bulk items can be found at most health food stores, I think there is one on Lonsdale that has a pretty good selection.

Gosh - I have never ever thought about that one. :stupid: Just bought an overpriced pack of trails mix today. Thanx for that one. Still…cannot rep you. But I will. Promised.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer