Energy Bar Recipe

Dec. 12, 2008, 9:33 p.m.

I'm thinking of making some energy bars this weekend. Does anyone have a good recipe?

Dec. 12, 2008, 10:04 p.m.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Dec. 13, 2008, 2:07 p.m.

Don't forget the curry

I don't think cocain has much of an effect on you if ingested. Same with Heroin.

One of these is not like the others.

Dec. 14, 2008, 11:27 a.m.

I've got a great recipe. Its from the Whitewater Cooks cookbook by Shelley Adams - An amazing cook book from the Fresh Tracks Cafe at Whitewater in Nelson.

Whitewater Granola Bars

Ingredients:
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 tbsp vanilla
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup corn syrup
6 cups oats
1 cup toasted coconut
1 cup toasted sunflower seeds
1 cup toasted sesame seeds
2 cups chocolate chips (or 1 cup chocolate chips [HTML_REMOVED] 1 cup raisins)

In a skillet, toast coconut, sesame and sunflower seeds, set aside to cool. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, peanut butter, vanilla and brown sugar. Add corn syrup and then mix in remaining ingredients. Press into a greased 12x18 inch cookie sheet. Bake in a 350F oven for approx 20 mins or until golden brown. Let cool slightly and cut while still warm.

Yum! These are scrumptious and super easy to make.

Dec. 14, 2008, 11:33 a.m.

THis sounds really tasty - although I could imagine it has a whole lot of calories ;)

Although I think I give them a shot - am allergic to all things Powerbar. And the rest is just too expensive.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 14, 2008, 11:51 a.m.

I could imagine it has a whole lot of calories ;)

Hey teacher,

where does the energy come from in energy bars?

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 14, 2008, 11:57 a.m.

Hey teacher,

where does the energy come from in energy bars?

- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 14, 2008, 12:27 p.m.

red x's are tasty.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 14, 2008, 5:18 p.m.

although I could imagine it has a whole lot of calories.

joke?

Dec. 14, 2008, 5:43 p.m.

joke?

Deadly serious. Haven't you heard of Powerbars new Diet-line?

Specifically designed for athletes who want to lose weight (and races :lol:).

Dec. 15, 2008, 10:16 a.m.

joke?

sigh

Right now I am in the situation that I want to lose the lard that has accumulated around my "middle area"…not much, but I want to get rid of it.

And the question I had in mind was that in order to lose this stuff, I have to carefully balance my energy intake and the energy output, so to speak.

And at the moment I am really scared of eating anything that has a lot of sugar in it.

Got it? I know, I know, it does not make any sense to you folks.

- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 15, 2008, 12:50 p.m.

All you have to do is burn more calories than you take in. If you're in any way concerned with health, you would not eat that recipe that seems to be made from butter, sugar and syrup.

Dec. 15, 2008, 1:01 p.m.

Got it? I know, I know, it does not make any sense to you folks.

Lower your food intake and keep your current activity level, or up your activity level and maintain your current intake level. So simple.

That is in addition to food choices, which you may or may not be willing to compromise.

I've found that it's necessary to be hungry at least some of the time when you are trying to shed weight. Learn to stop before you are completely full, and get used to feeling somewhat hungry at least part of the time. That's what works for me.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Dec. 15, 2008, 5:06 p.m.

A better way to lose weight is to do heavy lifting (while being sure you focus on proper form).

The results from heavy lifting compound to reduce more fat than just endurance style running. Running helps with cardio more than it helps to burn calories. I run 35 minutes 3 times a week on top of my outdoor activities and my labour intensive job. It's simply to keep my lungs and heart in good shape.

Heavy lifting will burn more calories, speed up metabolism, increase growth hormone production, and as an added bonus, you gain muscle mass which in itself burns more calories. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn, even while sleeping. You also get better bone strength. Heavy lifting causes tiny bone fractures that force your bones to heal stronger. Very similar to boxers and fighters who obtain stronger bones from frequent impact stress.

In the end, most people arent looking to lose weight, they're looking to look better and be more healthy. Simply cutting calorie intake will lose weight, but you won't really look better, just skinnier. Weight training may not have you shed as much weight (as muscle mass weighs much more than fat mass) but you will look and feel much better.

Would you rather lose 15 pounds but look good, or lose 25 pounds and look like that odd fellow that George Michaels fucked in the forest ?

Remember, nobody is above the laws of thermodynamics. This law, in relation to weight gain/loss is exactly what was posted directly above this post.

Dec. 15, 2008, 6:37 p.m.

A better way to lose weight

It's a fallacy to assume that there is a best or better way to lose weight, without knowing a particular individual's circumstances.

Person A might not be ready for or have the fitness base to start lifting "heavy weights." Person B might already by fit and well-toned, but having a hard time losing the last few pounds on the gut. Person C might be an aerobically fit cyclist with no desire to add muscle mass, but a desire to get down to a leaner riding weight.

It completely depends on individual circumstance.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk