Election Results - how will they impact the shore?

Oct. 21, 2018, 8:19 p.m.

Speaking specifically of trail use and riding of course. I live across the bridge so I am not familiar with the candidates or results; can any one offer a coles notes summary?

Oct. 23, 2018, 9:09 p.m.

They won't impact riding at all. They may impact our ability to live on the Shore (cost of living/housing), but the trails will be fine.

Oct. 27, 2018, 7:27 p.m.

https://www.fairvote.ca/bc-pr-systems/

Oct. 29, 2018, 10:39 a.m.

A huge portion of the trails on the Shore (Lots of Seymour, most of Fromme, and a lot of Cypress) are managed (or, as the case may be, not managed) by municipalities. These decisions are very much made by politicians - for a recent example see the Trails Strategy adopted by DWV Council last year. That plan will have direct, tangible impacts (both good and "bad") on Cypress trails. How, you ask? Well, for one, mountain biking is now actually a 'recognized activity' on DWV trails - until this point it 'hasn't extisted', basically. Staff was questioned at a Council meeting about how much mountain biking was taking place - they pointed out they were unable to answer, because they couldn't measure it, because it didn't formally exist. That's now changed. So how trails and parks are managed does absolutely depend on what Council is asking of staff, budgets, and any potential new policy or bylaw. See also: Fromme Parking lot.

And I can guarantee the incoming councils across the Shore will be hearing from MTB detractors. And probably hearing from more detractors than people stoked on biking. If you ever want to help change that, shoot me an email! 

Major exceptions include, but are not limited to; CMHC portions of Seymour (managed by Rec Sites and Trails BC), BC Parks portion of Seymour, and trails in West Van, which are sometimes on British Pacific Properties land. And the LSCR is its own odd entity, that doesn't really answer to elected officials, per se. 

While the Shore is a different environment for many reasons, take a look at something like Mystic Squirrels - that was funded in large part by RMOW.

So to answer the question "Election Results - how will they impact the shore?", that's still TBD. But you can be asking [insert city here] Council that question, and expressing your opinions to them, as a voter.

Oct. 29, 2018, 11:33 a.m.

I echo Cooper - I think that the people you vote for or don't vote for have a large impact.

I live in DWV and have spoken at council meetings on MTBing, specifically about Cypress because the community needs to be heard to be considered (or even remembered). For the most part, on Cypress, MTBing isn't different then most other user groups as today we are only looking for a few things such as consultation when development is about to occur to ensure that safety for MTBing is considered and general utility items like parking etc.... I don't feel that we are going to be able to make sweeping changes, but BPP listens more than most developers, council is cognisant that the forests are an incredible resource for its voters and that the choices it makes has a direct impact on those. I cant speak for DNV but DWV listens. Council listens. DWV employees tasked with their mandates listen.

The votes matter a lot.

EDIT: And 2019 is expected to see all trails (most likely limited to those which are currently mapped with DWV system) in DWV classified. Some will be multiuse. It appears that we will see some biking only and we will certainly see some hiking only. Which are classified biking only and hiking only remains to be determined, but the District is speaking to the communities about this.

Last edited by: Ddean on Oct. 29, 2018, 11:41 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Nov. 1, 2018, 10:22 a.m.

Make your voice heard when everything is going well too. 

Complacency can kill progress or any established progress.

As Cooper said "And I can guarantee the incoming councils across the Shore will be hearing from MTB detractors. And probably hearing from more detractors than people stoked on biking"

Nov. 3, 2018, 12:29 p.m.

Yep, DanL. 

If I could just get everyone to set a quick calendar reminder to write a quick note to all the land managers bi-annually..... that would be great. 

(seriously, though. Do it. If you need to know how, I'm happy to help.)